Pre-orders for the CMFB module Download are now open

4 hours ago, Vacillator said:

One heck of a conversion, at least for tank versus tank.  The 17 pdr went in upside down I think I read, and a crew member had to be dropped?  Or did I just dream the first bit of that...

The gun breech was rotated 90 degrees towards the loader to ease his job, since it was designed to be loaded from above. It was so large that the radio, which was in the back of the turret, had to be placed further back, protruding inside a piece of armor. It looks pretty uncanny without the stowage bin usually seen on British Shermans.

It also pretty much forced the designers to add a loader's hatch on the turret roof since he couldn't get in or out otherwise.

The bow machine gunner was omitted to make room for the larger ammunition. The bow MG port was covered with additional armor, which can be observed in-game.

Edited by Frenchy56

I'm still not sure what a Sherman hybrid is. I'm guessing by the name and from the context of the discussion so far that it's a combination of features on one chassis that were originally on two or more chassis types. But would anyone care to elaborate on what those features are?

Edited by Centurian52
typo

30 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

I'm still now sure what a Sherman hybrid is. I'm guessing by the name and from the context of the discussion so far that it's a combination of features on one chassis that were originally on two or more chassis types. But would anyone care to elaborate on what those features are?

It is a combination of a cast front hull (Similar to the M4A1 front hull), mated with a welded rear hull (Similar to the  M4 rear hull). Newly manufactured as such. Then called hybrid or composite hull.

It is explained here:

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/manufacturer/m4composite/m4_composite.html

The original Sherman design included both cast and welded upper hulls. In the rush to increase production, it was noted that cast hulls could be manufactured cheaper and faster than welded hulls, with "a large saving of welding rod and labor." However, in October 1942, it was concluded that while conversion to all cast hulls would be advantageous, it was not feasible under the current industrial conditions. That is, the number of US foundries capable of pouring such large castings was limited. In that same month, the Ordnance Department in conjunction with the Chrysler Corporation, began design work on a cast front end that offered a partial solution to the higher cost of the all welded upper hull, since the front is where a good deal of the welding man-hours were spent. Also, the front casting as shown above, was a fraction of the size of a complete cast hull, so could be produced by smaller capacity foundries.

40 minutes ago, ratdeath said:

Release next week :)

Cool, and like that I didn't have to watch the whole video - good job 🤭.  No disrespect to the 'Tea time' comms, as I think they're a good thing.

So 50% off - if I didn't already have all of the WW2 stuff, my credit card would be sizzling.  It has tempted me towards modern, but I don't think I have the time or the knowledge.  Hmmm!

2 hours ago, Vacillator said:

It has tempted me towards modern, but I don't think I have the time or the knowledge.  Hmmm!

Give it a go! I think one of the great parts of CM is that it does such a great job of represent tactical ground warfare across such a wide span of time, so you can get a sense for yourself of how ground warfare has changed in that time. So I'll always happily recommend the modern era to anyone who has only played WW2, or WW2 to anyone who has only played modern. There is a bit of a learning curve (going both ways actually, I was surprised to find a bit of a learning curve going back to WW2 after spending a while in the modern era*), but not as much as when you're learning it all from scratch.

Only you can determine if you have the time. But the best way to gain the knowledge is to just dive right in.

*It's been a few years since I spent any significant time in the WW2 setting. So I had to relearn how to effectively employ less accurate and responsive artillery (larger 'danger close' area with less accurate arty, so I took a few friendly fire losses early on). And I found I had to concentrate my infantry a bit more than I would in the modern era (leading me to suspect that greater firepower enables greater dispersion at least as much as it forces greater dispersion).

On 1/14/2024 at 11:03 AM, Lieutenant Ash said:

SdKfz 251 'Drilling' is in FB base game.

As for CM1, if Battlefront ever release a CMAK 2 and early war east front game, then I'll retire the cm1 series finally, never to see Moe, Larry and Curley ever again.

andrewtf_british_army_uniforms_cmbo_cmmos4.zip_original74ec.jpg

Agreed, red thunder must go backwards to achieve completion.

For me It is gonna be close combat 3

Edited by user1000

It being the weekend, I thought I'd post another screenshot. This time of the much-requested Ram Kangaroo. This vehicle turned out to be a pleasant surprise in the game. Bullet-proof all-terrain troop transport and protected close infantry support with the mg subturret. The 14 man carrying capacity is a bit misleading, that number includes tank riders clinging to the engine deck too.

ram kanga.jpg

Edited by MikeyD

1 hour ago, FlammenwerferX said:

seems like Jan 26 is the day

Hmm. that'd be a first. Slitherine traditionally releases games on Tuesdays and Thursdays. They prefer Thursdays for new full releases so I'd expect the 25th. Not that it makes a difference, as I won't be able to even look at it until the weekend.

Anyway, I know how we're all going to spend the 27th. 😎

Edited by OldSarge

56 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

My last post got me curious how many tank riders can fit on a Churchill. The answer was a lot.

tank riders.jpg

Because BFC took a wrong way to apply certains soldiers model 3d on the tanks they seem to be on theirs knee the poor...

but is interresting I will apply them myself with a little job of the silhouettes... for exemple on the turret applying the same procedure!!

11 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

s they seem to be on theirs knee

I think their legs are in the stowage compartments?

I pity the poor chap sitting up front. 

Rider casualties are interesting though, I've just been playing one of Mr X's upcoming RT campaigns and took an approaching T34/85 with a full deck of riders on board under fire with small arms, MGs and eventually 75mm Panzer IV shells.  The riders took no casualties and seemed not to have a care until the 75mm rounds came in.

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

My last post got me curious how many tank riders can fit on a Churchill. The answer was a lot.

tank riders.jpg

We can certainly put a good number of soldiers on the tanks but I don't give much for survivors if a projectile hits them, and the player's morale takes also a hit not only for the carcass but especially for the lives, but yes the curiousity was worth and will help when a long march is planified 

40 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

I think their legs are in the stowage compartments?

I pity the poor chap sitting up front. 

Rider casualties are interesting though, I've just been playing one of Mr X's upcoming RT campaigns and took an approaching T34/85 with a full deck of riders on board under fire with small arms, MGs and eventually 75mm Panzer IV shells.  The riders took no casualties and seemed not to have a care until the 75mm rounds came in.

Interresting,  play it again to confirm the damage I m sure this will be different...😆

about the knees on the tanks... yes of course it's just an optical illusion but as I say interesting, and I was already able to change some positions of some tanks riders the only thing that I could not change was the sitting position form, but I was able to put a soldier more left or more right in a higher or lower position  (dont have access to the 3d models sihouettes) but well on the place that they are occuped , just to have a differents view of the braves, on the hot engine grill.

This could be a future mod when I will be able to breathe when all is finish...

Edited by JM Stuff

By the end of the war tank riding on American tanks was becoming more common. This was when  advancing forces were covering dozens of miles at a time being met mostly by surrender flags. Different circumstances than the Normandy hedgerows 9 months earlier. So not appropriate for that title, appropriate for this one.

EV0DyzuU0AA1M1b.jpg

Edited by MikeyD

5 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

By the end of the war tank riding on American tanks was becoming more common. This was when  advancing forces were covering dozens of miles at a time being met mostly by surrender flags. Different circumstances than the Normandy hedgerows 9 months earlier. So not appropriate for that title, appropriate for this one.

EV0DyzuU0AA1M1b.jpg

...being met mostly by surrender flags now I understand why is no tanks riders in CMBN 😆