Pre-orders for the CMFB module Download are now open

@Monty's Mighty Moustache I know that my Blue Hills scenario can cause problems if the players have too many troops. I am also warning people about this.

Although your computer is an old one and have problems with my map and scenario, you could have made your own map by using an overlay and make it more correct looking with the hills being higher and more.

Edited by BornGinger

My computer was only one year old when I tried to play it, so it was not old by any means at the time. The point of my post was not to criticise, merely to point out that calling someone lazy when you don't know what decisions were made for the FR scenario and why is probably a bit harsh.

I may return to the Blue Hills once the performance improvements come in Engine 5, it was an enjoyable scenario when it ran.

A combination of cancer treatment, and then needing to buy a new PC, means that I have built up a backlog of stuff to play. But, I will certainly buy this at sometime. Having been to Kleve for a meal once, and seeing how lovely it is, I might feel a pang of guilt if I have to pound it to bits. Ho hum. 

I had pulled a bunch of screenshots for the guys but I don't know which they're going to use. So I'll post a couple of my favorites here to whet your appetite.

First, a tank I lobbied hard to get into the game - uparmored Sherman! One of a number of late war M4A3E8s that went through a field modification program that literally doubled the bow armor (which is now thicker than the Jumbo's). They acted as substitute/additional Jumbos in field units.

uparmored sherman.jpg

img_bp_m4a3e8_004.jpg

Edited by MikeyD

10 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I had pulled a bunch of screenshots for the guys but I don't know which they're going to use. So I'll post a couple of my favorites here to whet your appetite.

First, a tank I lobbied hard to get into the game - uparmored Sherman! One of a number of late war M4A3E8s that went through a field modification program that literally doubled the bow armor (which is now thicker than the Jumbo's). They acted as substitute/additional Jumbos in field units.

uparmored sherman.jpg

img_bp_m4a3e8_004.jpg

Woaw extra protection this is for some very prometting duel...

I like also all the stuffs around the vehicle, give me some little ideas ..

Thanks to post this added infos @MikeyD.

Edited by JM Stuff

On 1/8/2024 at 10:59 PM, Frenchy56 said:

Is the TO&E list final? I've seen a few things missing like the Sherman IIA, the Sherman Tulip and the Ostwind.

Can we get some info on this? Perhaps it has already been asked, but accidentally omitting vehicles that already exist in R2V and F&R (apart from the Tulip) would be a bummer.

England didn't use 76mm Sherman IIA is NW Europe. It was only used in Italy. I can't recall Sherman Tulip ever being mentioned. I can guess/speculate that if it was brought up it may have been nixed because the game engine has no provision for firing unguided, unaimed rockets on-map.

38 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

England didn't use 76mm Sherman IIA is NW Europe. It was only used in Italy. I can't recall Sherman Tulip ever being mentioned. I can guess/speculate that if it was brought up it may have been nixed because the game engine has no provision for firing unguided, unaimed rockets on-map.

If the Sherman Tulip is what I think it is then I'm guessing it would have been used as self-propelled rocket artillery, rather than for direct fire against targets the crew could see. In which case, if it is in the game, it would probably be best represented as off-map artillery. The game can handle off-map rocket artillery, so if it isn't included then a lack of provision for it in the game engine isn't the reason.

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

England didn't use 76mm Sherman IIA is NW Europe.

The 1st Polish Armoured Division used Sherman IIAs, they were refitted with them in Holland so I think they would have been available around the start of CMFB's timeframe. There is no reason not to have them in since they're in R2V, they just need the MTO markings removed and to be put into the TO&E.

Here are some pictures of them.

3.jpg.28b170c70d455ed9945b69b8b6ce5e37.jpg

2.jpg.483c90c8f160a6973550cfc63335c669.jpg

I found a caption for this specific one: "Sherman IIA of the Polish 10th Armoured Cavalry Brigade, KO'd in the Netherlands in late 1944"

5.jpg.a695196afb5533f355ba8aad035461e9.jpg

Edited by Frenchy56

56 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

If the Sherman Tulip is what I think it is then I'm guessing it would have been used as self-propelled rocket artillery, rather than for direct fire against targets the crew could see. In which case, if it is in the game, it would probably be best represented as off-map artillery. The game can handle off-map rocket artillery, so if it isn't included then a lack of provision for it in the game engine isn't the reason.

The Sherman Tulip was two RP-3 rockets on a fixed rail on each side of the turret. They were set to a certain distance and there was no way to aim them apart from that, so its use as an off-map asset would be dubious. It was clearly designed to be used in direct fire.

As far as I know it was a modification unique to the Guards Armoured Division in Northwest Europe.

Here is an excerpt from a combat action in the Netherlands in April 1945:

"Tulip equipped Sherman tanks, belonging to the 1st Armoured Battalion, Coldstream Guards, 5th Guards Armoured Brigade, Guards Armoured Division, were involved in the action near the bridge over the Twente Canal between Enschede and Hengelo, in the Netherlands, on the 1st April 1945.
Lt Boscawen’s No.2 Troop of five tanks was leading the way at maximum speed down a concrete canal road to take the bridge by surprise. No.2 Squadron’s armored car had managed to rush over the bridge first. Sergeant Caulfield’s Sherman Firefly had turned right to cross the bridge and follow the scout car but spotted a German four gun 8.8 cm flak battery to his left. He opened fire as he crossed the bridge.

Lt Boscawen’s Sherman Mk.V tank was following. His tank fired its 75 mm (2.95 in) gun and machine guns at the German gun emplacement. It was protected by high earth mounds so he launched both his rockets. At the same time, the canal bridge was blown up by German engineers and his tank was hit in the petrol tank by a German shell that caused the tank to catch fire."

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

I can't recall Sherman Tulip ever being mentioned. I can guess/speculate that if it was brought up it may have been nixed because the game engine has no provision for firing unguided, unaimed rockets on-map.

If that is the case then I think it's a bummer, but fair enough. It was a pretty rare and special vehicle though quite representative of its timeframe and theater.

The Ostwind definitely served on the Western Front though, there is no reason to omit it considering it is present in F&R.

Edited by Frenchy56

24 minutes ago, Frenchy56 said:

The Sherman Tulip was two RP-3 rockets on a fixed rail on each side of the turret. They were set to a certain distance and there was no way to aim them apart from that, so its use as an off-map asset would be dubious. It was clearly designed to be used in direct fire.

Ah, in that case it was not what I thought it was.

31 minutes ago, Frenchy56 said:

The 1st Polish Armoured Division used Sherman IIAs, they were refitted with them in Holland so I think they would have been available around the start of CMFB's timeframe. Here are some pictures of them.

[three individual pictures]

I found a caption for this specific one: "Sherman IIA of the Polish 10th Armoured Cavalry Brigade, KO'd in the Netherlands in late 1944"

Surely you have firmer evidence, such as a contemporary ADREPS or TO&E? The former must surely be available as they were under Commonwealth doctrine. As it is, a handful of photos isn't going to sway anyone in the pre-order phase. 

1 hour ago, Rinaldi said:

Surely you have firmer evidence, such as a contemporary ADREPS or TO&E? The former must surely be available as they were under Commonwealth doctrine. As it is, a handful of photos isn't going to sway anyone in the pre-order phase. 

I don't have access to any documents of the sort. Whether it makes it into the release, a patch or never is BF's call.

All I know is that they were used as replacement tanks for the 75mm Shermans and that more and more were delivered to the division as the war in Europe closed to its end.

Edited by Frenchy56

17 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

who won (no spoilers in a QB right)?

I was doing soo well until my tank got hosed down by a hidden flamethrower team just at the critical moment and exploded like an A bomb 😱

Now I'm just goofing around. Here's an Opel Kadet 'flavor object' stuck on flooded ground. The cream color is the original factory paint scheme. The assembly plant wound up on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain and Kadets continued to be produced well into the 1950s. Post-war Eastern Bloc Kadets were painted in blues and reds and greens.

Opel Kadet.jpg

Edited by MikeyD

6 hours ago, Vacillator said:

Do you mean the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland 😉?  Anyway love those screenshots, who won (no spoilers in a QB right)?

I think the correct term is "Limeyland". I'm still trying to teach my USatian girlfriend that.