Bug/glitch thread

Bufo

4 hours ago, SgtHatred said:

5) Bunkers placed by the Client player seem to have random elevation issues when the game is started.

That is the case for all Combat Mission games. Fortifications have an effect on the terrain and are lowering it to the lowest point of their placement after the setup phase. The same is true for buildings, but changes for buildings are done instandly.
So, even if you place a trench of a bunker in the editor, you need to test it with "Scenario Author Test" beyond the Setup phase to make sure the trench or Bunker is placed in the way you want it to be placed.

2 hours ago, Dr.Fusselpulli said:

That is the case for all Combat Mission games. Fortifications have an effect on the terrain and are lowering it to the lowest point of their placement after the setup phase. The same is true for buildings, but changes for buildings are done instandly.
So, even if you place a trench of a bunker in the editor, you need to test it with "Scenario Author Test" beyond the Setup phase to make sure the trench or Bunker is placed in the way you want it to be placed.

Ah, that makes sense. Only one of us ever really uses bunkers so I always assumed it was related to a bug from a few years ago where trenches and other obstacles would fly or sink.

Bunkers are something I generally frown upon in CMx2 games. I've had Pak40s in bunkers hit directly by AVREs, leaving comically large hit decals on the gun shield but having no effect on the bunker, the gun, or the men inside, but I've also seen british rifle sections credited with kills on a bunker from 600m while still having their full load of grenades and piats, as if sporadic rifle fire at max range somehow was able to kill every man inside the bunker. The machinegun or general purpose bunkers are less problematic, and I assume those are the only types that exist in Cold War. I've not checked.

As far as I can see, there are only shelters, but no bunkers with stationary weaponary inside available in cold war.

But what I noticed with a trench was, that infantery sitting in the trench at the setup phase would sit on the ground, sticking through the trench, and staying there (in the air) when the game starts and the ground is getting shaped for the trench. So they are not properly in cover as they are supposed to be.

Edited by Dr.Fusselpulli

2 hours ago, Lethaface said:

Firing a offmap US 107mm mortar maximum smoke mission not only uses up smoke but also HE. It also causes craters, so it seems that it is firing a 'dual smoke / HE' round. That seems to be a bug?

I think the small bursting charge in the WP shells is probably creating craters.  Cratering is in generally  exaggerated relative to charge size, especially when bursting on impact.

15 hours ago, Lethaface said:

Firing a offmap US 107mm mortar maximum smoke mission not only uses up smoke but also HE. It also causes craters, so it seems that it is firing a 'dual smoke / HE' round. That seems to be a bug?

I think that's how it's supposed to work. You get the amount of rounds listed under HE in total, of which a certain number can be smoke rounds.

7 hours ago, 111thGameBn said:

I think that's how it's supposed to work. You get the amount of rounds listed under HE in total, of which a certain number can be smoke rounds.

Yes, for off-map assets, the HE total is also the total number of rounds available to fire.

Playing Mittelaschenbach PBEM as the US.  My A company command tank had just called for artillery when it was hit and destroyed, although the full crew was able to bailout.

Despite its vehicle having been destroyed and having no radio, the dismounted crew was able to complete the fire mission and call new artillery and air support missions.

This appears to be a bug...

2 hours ago, Allan Wotherspoon said:

Playing Mittelaschenbach PBEM as the US.  My A company command tank had just called for artillery when it was hit and destroyed, although the full crew was able to bailout.

Despite its vehicle having been destroyed and having no radio, the dismounted crew was able to complete the fire mission and call new artillery and air support missions.

This appears to be a bug...

It's a side effect of the abstraction use for calling. The caller does not have have to have access to a radio. It is a way of abstracting field telephone networks. In your example is sure feel odd. If they ever increase the fidelity of the calling process then you might see that changed but for now it's as designed.

On 5/13/2021 at 11:05 PM, Dr.Fusselpulli said:

But what I noticed with a trench was, that infantery sitting in the trench at the setup phase would sit on the ground, sticking through the trench, and staying there (in the air) when the game starts and the ground is getting shaped for the trench.

But trenches don't cause ground to deform in these games? I think only bunkers do that.

31 minutes ago, rocketman said:

The BTR-60PBK has a MG but can't be issued any target orders. Haven't noticed if the TacAI fires it if there is an opportunity. All target orders are greyed out.

Not able to reproduce this.  Has the MG been destroyed?  Is there no crew member to man the MG?

10 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

But trenches don't cause ground to deform in these games? I think only bunkers do that.

No, Trenches deform the ground as well.

Place 3 trench elements on the 20s fields, surrounded by these hights for example:

23 - 22 - 20
22 - 20 - 21
20 - 21 - 21

You will notice, that the trench will be sunken into the ground very naturally, but that the ground will pile up in the trench a bit, until the Setup phase is over. Soldiers sitting in the trench during the setup phase will now float in the air, above the trench, as they were formally standing on said ground. When they move, they will move into the depression of the trench.

2 hours ago, rocketman said:

From "Skirmish at Sichenhausen":

FHma9a6.jpg

No damage to MG, greyed out commands, and using the spacebar menu shows only the "Face" command.

Oh, this is a known issue with a few units (in this case Btl. HQ) that are incorrectly setup with only 1 crew member (blue dot) and passengers (green dots).  The passengers aren't able to take the gunner position.  Usually the BTRs have 2-3 dedicated crew.

Edited by akd

The fact that some  of the scenario names end in number really messes with the PBEM numbers.

First turn auto names from "Tank training 1980" -> "Tank training 1981" -> "Tank training 1982" and so on.....

should be "Tank training 1980 001" but I think this is "engine limitation" so I renamed to "1980 Tank training 001". I think this should be the fix implemented to the game.

Edited by The_MonkeyKing

5 hours ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

The fact that some  of the scenario names end in number really messes with the PBEM numbers.

First turn auto names from "Tank training 1980" -> "Tank training 1981" -> "Tank training 1982" and so on.....

should be "Tank training 1980 001" but I think this is "engine limitation" so I renamed to "1980 Tank training 001". I think this should be the fix implemented to the game.

I agree.  This is a pain,especially using programs like CM Helper or Who's Turn is it?