Jump to content

Bug/glitch thread


Recommended Posts

I've noticed BMP-2s using HE-I against M113s which seems like an odd ammo choice. Could it be because they're targeting the gunner?  It ends up my BMPs failed to kill M113s multiple times because they fired HE at it.  This one fired 26 HE rounds, getting lots of hits but no kill.

spbOEsv.png

0HTeh8j.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, HerrTom said:

I've noticed BMP-2s using HE-I against M113s which seems like an odd ammo choice. Could it be because they're targeting the gunner?  It ends up my BMPs failed to kill M113s multiple times because they fired HE at it.  This one fired 26 HE rounds, getting lots of hits but no kill.

spbOEsv.png

0HTeh8j.png

I have had that as well, even when gunner is buttoned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

It has ATGM missiles too or he is too close? Previously I was told off as I was misleading. My theory was I say theory and not checked by testing. Possibly morale plays a role here. He is nervous and he is green. 

Edited by chuckdyke
spelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ran into a crash bug in TCP/IP turn based mode. Play the game, save the game, and attempt to reload the game. The reloaded game plays for maybe 30 seconds before crashing. Attempting to save again after reloading causes an immediate crash. I save every turn, and it turns out that every save with that particular game causes the same crash upon load. Of the 8 or so TCP/IP turn based games I've played, this has happened with 2 of them. I've passed the save games around to others who ran into the same crash upon loading the save. It seems the save is corrupted, and every save during that game is corrupted. Attempting to load the broken save file also appears to create a bunch of .tmp files in the Cold War user directory, but that may be unrelated.

 

After this happened for the 2nd time we ran a couple of tests using the last map we played on (Town-Water (1504 x 1008) 152 Attack.btt) and found that if we both loaded with just forward observer sections, we could play a turn, save and reload and keep playing without difficulty, but if we used the same forces from the real game, (BTR force with Shturm and Shilka defending vs a US Mixed Mech force ) playing a single turn, saving and reloading causes the crash. Maybe a specific unit is causing the crash? Haven't narrowed it down yet.

 

Been playing a lot of every CMx2 game in tcp/ip turn-based this year, this is the first time I've seen this, seems related only to Cold War.

 

tldr; TCP/IP turn-based games sometimes corrupt every save made so they can be reloaded, but cannot be played for even 1 turn before a CTD.

The savegames :

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amy6LKaJeToDgplZWb7COg2MRhIwvw?e=NXN1aE

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amy6LKaJeToDgplY-pfznaaqKBnyAQ?e=aPFfHi

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, SgtHatred said:

Ran into a crash bug in TCP/IP turn based mode. Play the game, save the game, and attempt to reload the game. The reloaded game plays for maybe 30 seconds before crashing. Attempting to save again after reloading causes an immediate crash. I save every turn, and it turns out that every save with that particular game causes the same crash upon load. Of the 8 or so TCP/IP turn based games I've played, this has happened with 2 of them. I've passed the save games around to others who ran into the same crash upon loading the save. It seems the save is corrupted, and every save during that game is corrupted. Attempting to load the broken save file also appears to create a bunch of .tmp files in the Cold War user directory, but that may be unrelated.

 

After this happened for the 2nd time we ran a couple of tests using the last map we played on (Town-Water (1504 x 1008) 152 Attack.btt) and found that if we both loaded with just forward observer sections, we could play a turn, save and reload and keep playing without difficulty, but if we used the same forces from the real game, (BTR force with Shturm and Shilka defending vs a US Mixed Mech force ) playing a single turn, saving and reloading causes the crash. Maybe a specific unit is causing the crash? Haven't narrowed it down yet.

 

Been playing a lot of every CMx2 game in tcp/ip turn-based this year, this is the first time I've seen this, seems related only to Cold War.

 

tldr; TCP/IP turn-based games sometimes corrupt every save made so they can be reloaded, but cannot be played for even 1 turn before a CTD.

The savegames :

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amy6LKaJeToDgplZWb7COg2MRhIwvw?e=NXN1aE

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amy6LKaJeToDgplY-pfznaaqKBnyAQ?e=aPFfHi

Now this one is disconcerting...we will follow up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just got CMCW and played Between Two Fahrbahns as the US.

After destroying most of the Soviet tanks, their bailed-out tank crews began charging across the fields trying to get into the objective area to capture it all by themselves. Is this a bug?

I remember this behavior happening all the way back in early versions of CMBN. I remember bailed-out German AI tank crews single-handedly trying to continue their attack, suicidally charging forward for hundreds of meters toward objectives, as if the tank crews were trying to continue the AI plan they were assigned to at the beginning.

I hadn't seen this behavior in the other CM games for quite some time (or at least hadn't noticed it), and thought it had been patched out. But maybe not?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

If I have a green unit who is nervous, I withdraw it. I don't let it fire at anything usually it comes out second best. Attrition instead of maneuver is not the best at times it is suicidal with units which have poor morale. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Bozowans said:

I just got CMCW and played Between Two Fahrbahns as the US.

After destroying most of the Soviet tanks, their bailed-out tank crews began charging across the fields trying to get into the objective area to capture it all by themselves. Is this a bug?

I remember this behavior happening all the way back in early versions of CMBN. I remember bailed-out German AI tank crews single-handedly trying to continue their attack, suicidally charging forward for hundreds of meters toward objectives, as if the tank crews were trying to continue the AI plan they were assigned to at the beginning.

I hadn't seen this behavior in the other CM games for quite some time (or at least hadn't noticed it), and thought it had been patched out. But maybe not?

It is neither a bug nor a feature, it is just how the AI works.  The tank crews are part of the same AI group as the tanks that have been destroyed; therefore, as part of the AI group the crews will follow all AI orders assigned to the group.  In this instance it is unrealistic but if these were mounted infantry who had their rides shot from them under them it would be a more realistic behaviour.  Or put another way, people would complain if they didn't continue to advance.

It isn't perfect by any stretch but it is logical and consistent in AI terms.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Bozowans said:

I hadn't seen this behavior in the other CM games for quite some time (or at least hadn't noticed it), and thought it had been patched out. But maybe not?

As I recall, what was done was to give bailed out crews a heavy morale hit so there was a higher chance they would stay in place or retreat back to the ‚Äúfriendly‚ÄĚ edge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sgt Joch said:

As I recall, what was done was to give bailed out crews a heavy morale hit so there was a higher chance they would stay in place or retreat back to the ‚Äúfriendly‚ÄĚ edge.

That actually rings true from hazy memory but I think that in the campaigns at least there are some pretty motivated soldiers in the core units file.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, if you give the AI a advance at all cost type order and the tank crews are say crack/elite/fanatic, there is a good chance they will keep attacking. 

What should be done is have all bailed out AFV crews be given an automatic withdraw order so they would retreat to the friendly edge. I seem to recall this was on the drawing board, but there was a reason why it could not be implemented. Too hard to code maybe?

Anyway, all the tools are there so the scenario designer can minimize this type of behaviour.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Sgt Joch said:

What should be done is have all bailed out AFV crews

Does it make a difference when the player orders a 'Bail Out'? It appears there is no morale hit, you bail them out as they are in full view of enemy AT assets. If they are bailed out by the AI they usually go down to 'Rattled'. Recent experience a Panther had it main gun disabled but the AI just let it reverse and waited till it was destroyed. To be abandoned could be coded and the crew would deemed to have destroyed the vehicle. Like they do with field artillery.  Kind regards. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Correct, if you order a bail out, they just leave the vehicle with no morale hit.

When a AFV is destroyed and especially if the crew has taken casualties, you will see the crew is often at ‚Äúpanic‚ÄĚ after they bail out. Even if they rally, they will often be ‚Äúbroken‚ÄĚ or ‚Äúrattled‚ÄĚ which is often enough so they will stay in place/withdraw/not keep following the AI plan.

‚Äė

Edited by Sgt Joch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sgt Joch said:

Yes, if you give the AI a advance at all cost type order and the tank crews are say crack/elite/fanatic, there is a good chance they will keep attacking. 

What should be done is have all bailed out AFV crews be given an automatic withdraw order so they would retreat to the friendly edge. I seem to recall this was on the drawing board, but there was a reason why it could not be implemented. Too hard to code maybe?

Anyway, all the tools are there so the scenario designer can minimize this type of behaviour.

That makes sense. I was wondering if it had something more to do with that one particular scenario or if it was something that all the games had since the beginning. 

I guess I hadn't noticed the behavior in a while for a number of reasons. The player is usually attacking instead of defending, and tank crews might not survive long enough or the scenario might not go on long enough for them to recover their morale and then continue their advance on foot.

It was especially noticeable on the Between Two Fahrbahns scenario though. Most of the Soviet tanks were knocked out early with 30+ minutes left on the clock, and the lack of Soviet infantry meant that the tank crews were almost all that was left at the end. It was amusing seeing 6 or 7 tank crewmen all running together on foot alongside one single ordinary infantryman toward the objective at the end. They were driven off by small arms with a couple minutes left on the clock.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, in Cold War you have the combination of an offensive Opfor, with decent soft factors. That means that sometimes you'll see some overly enthusiastic tank crews. It'll be rare, and shouldn't hurt things too much damage, it's not really avoidable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In scenario list, the name of Stem the Tide scenario says the scenario is playable as Blue or H2H. But the description on the right side of the screen says it should be played as Blue only. There is no briefing for Red side, so I guess the scenario name should be changed so it says Blue only.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not entirely sure about this one whether it is intentional or a scenario editor mishap as I haven't looked at the 1979 USA campaign, but in the 1982 version of the campaign, in Mission 1 ‚ÄĒ¬†objective Whiskey has its main zone across the road and also has a single action square highlighted off to the east which appears erroneous. Screengrab attached.

1982_m1_bug.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2021 at 7:06 PM, The_Capt said:

Now this one is disconcerting...we will follow up.

Excellent. It is by far the most serious bug I've encountered in CMx2 for the last couple years. While you are running this up the flagpole, I figure I will mention a few other multiplayer bugs I've encountered in Cold War, but they are not limited to Cold War.

1) Sometimes weapons get duplicated for the Client player. I used to think this was a result of reloading, but I have noticed it happen without reloading the game. I'm not sure what gameplay effect this has, but it producing some interesting visuals. Heavy weapons teams are most common, like double Dragon men, but I've seen men with extra LMGs or rifles. It seems pretty random.

gKJKwQl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TSPnXGg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nwhTjwP.jpg

 

In the first 2 images, you can see Double Dragon men. At no point did either man have an opportunity to pick up the extra dragon, nor should they even if the opportunity presents itself. The last one is from Italy, which is a little off topic, but it's the same deal. Men with extra weapons for no reason. In the Dragon examples above, they lose their small arms.

2) If the Client player is defending and places mines, the mines will sometimes not have a game effect or be present for the Host player unless the game is reloaded. This one seems random and related to map size, with larger maps being more likely to have this happen. Other fortifications don't seem to have this problem. Save/Reload fixes this. I've reloaded the game to find large chunks of my force inside a minefield, which is painful. We now have a policy to save/reload after the first turn is played if a defending player has brought any mines.

3) If the Host player is the defender and places any fortifications, like mines, trenches, barbed wire, or anything of the sort, the Client player cannot see them but they do have a game effect (units struggle to pass trenches and drive around obstacles.) Mines however do not have an effect until the game is reloaded. The video below shows this. Saving and reloading seems to correct this.

4) You can also see in the video above that during turn playback a player (Host or Client) is able to cheat by grabbing and moving waypoints, when players are not supposed to be able to issue orders. This can be solved with a gentleman's agreement, but it should not be possible.

5) Bunkers placed by the Client player seem to have random elevation issues when the game is started. The Client player places a bunker, and it looks normal, but when the game starts after deployment phase suddenly the bunker has sunk into the earth.

fzzJ1t1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3UQJEmv.jpg

Not as bad as when Trenches would fly or sink to hell but it can be frustrating after spending 45 minutes in a deployment to hit the start button and see your bunker sink to the point that it no longer has line of sight to the ground just in front.

6) Hills-Rough (1200 x 1424) 101 Attack.btt suffers from the same texture bug it had when Black Sea first launched. Many buildings are missing sides. Not only are textures missing, but you can see right through them.

bqS2TuX.png

7) Bridges with central supports seem to be impassible by vehicles in multiplayer turn based mode. An example of these bridges from Town-Water (1504 x 1008) 152 Attack.btt can illustrate.

 

 

In singleplayer, this bridge is not a problem. No obstacles were placed on the bridge.

8 This one is not multiplayer specific, but if you play singleplayer realtime or multiplayer turnbased you'll notice that possible contacts bouncing and blinking, an effect that does not seem to happen during a WEGO singleplayer game.

 

It's not game breaking, but it can be distracting.

 

9) During Map Preview, in turn-based multiplayer, the Client player is bombarded with the game Pause sound from realtime mode if he and the Host player are both using Map Preview. Not a game buster, but it is loud and annoying and forces the player to turn off sound until game start. The sounds then play aggressively for several seconds as if they've been queued up, but then they go away. 

 

10) This one is more of an AI issue, but I have noticed repeatedly that when the Dragon AT guy is tasked as part of an assault team entering a building, he will enter the building with the Dragon in hand. I admire his willingness to try and use the Dragon for room to room fighting, but I think he'd be better off with his M16.

11) Despite being unsupported, you can set reinforce groups for Quickbattle units in the quickbattle setup screen using the 1-5 keys. They all appear at the 5 minute mark but are not bound by quickbattle setup zones, so they can appear in some pretty exciting places.

Again, the simple solution to this would be to just not do it, but it shouldn't be doable.

12) This one I can't replicate and only happened once, but we had a Client player with a Strela team spawn without ammunition. Not sure why that would be. Other teams on the map had their ammo.

13) If a Dragon attempts to fire at a tank while it is charging the Dragon's position, the team will fire the missile even if the tank is only a few meters away, and the missile will wrap around the turret of the tank and fly off into the ground somewhere. I don't think this one is multiplayer specific, but I have only really played multiplayer. I would expect that if a tank enters minimum range the team would not fire at the tank. Maybe this is expected behaviour and the way it is shown is just funky? I didn't get a video of this one unfortunately.

I've been meaning to write this up for a while, myself and several of my friends have played an absurd amount of CMx2 multiplayer through the pandemic, and Cold War is the best yet, so it has finally convinced me to get off my ass and do it. The save/load crash bug is by far the most important, as most of these other ones can be worked around or laughed off, but it would be nice for some of these bugs to see some care and attention.

If you need any elaboration or save games I can probably provide.

Despite these issues, CMCW kicks a lot of ass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...