A lot of old timers coming back

To me getting back on the boards is like finding that favorite hooded sweatshirt from college that your wife hid in the closet. You know the one...comfortable as hell and peppered with several stains of unknown origin. As soon as you put it on memories come flooding back about all the great times you had and you wonder why you forgot about it in the first place.

Except with CMBx my memories don't include me be loaded. Well, most of the time they don't.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very fun seeing so many old forum members coming back...

Like so many others, I never got into CM:SF because of lack of interest in the subject/era, but I've monitored the forums and waited for Mac support (and a return to WW2) and now they're here.

I actually kept the last Mac laptop that supported OS 9 solely for playing the old CM titles- I guess I can finally retire that beast now.

The flood of old-timers can also be slightly frustrating as well. A lot of game-related questions from people who have skipped over an entire generation of CM. The CMSF and CM:Afghanistan demos are free. If nothing else they'll offer a few hours of blowin' up stuff while increasing your motor skills for CMx2 camera movements. A little practice will greatly reduce the number of initial "this game sucks!" posts from people who are simply unfamilar with the UI controls.

Yep, that would be me. I completely skipped CMx2 as I had zero interest in playing a modern combat simulation. Battle for Normandy will be the first game I have purchased from Battlefront.com since CMAK. Interesting idea on downloading the demos, however. It surely wouldn't hurt me to practice the interface before the "real deal" is released. Lord knows I suck at Starcraft 2, which is what I've been playing while I wait for Battle for Normandy.

The flood of old-timers can also be slightly frustrating as well. A lot of game-related questions from people who have skipped over an entire generation of CM. The CMSF and CM:Afghanistan demos are free. If nothing else they'll offer a few hours of blowin' up stuff while increasing your motor skills for CMx2 camera movements. A little practice will greatly reduce the number of initial "this game sucks!" posts from people who are simply unfamilar with the UI controls.

Again: don't blame us for not being unfamiliar with the system. Mac owners have been frozen out for a decade, so I will feel free to comment on the system just as you could when CMSF first came out.

It has been my experience on these forums over the years that people will ask questions, argue over the tiniest of points, complain, and annoy.

Whether or not they have "skipped over" the new incarnation of CM, they will still do these things. The purpose of these forums is to establish a place for members to exchange information, ask game related questions, have fun and add their precious two cents to whatever discussion they choose.

To be frustrated by this seems a bit silly to me.

'WWII' wargamers should thank the 'modern' wargamers to have brought battlefront through the pre-v1.08 CMSF 'dark ages' and redendering CMBN possible.

'Modern' wargamers should thank 'WWII' wargamers for returning to battlefront in big numbers and so rendering possible CMSF 2.

Simple as that.

'WWII' wargamers should thank the 'modern' wargamers to have brought battlefront through the pre-v1.08 CMSF 'dark ages' and redendering CMBN possible.

'Modern' wargamers should thank 'WWII' wargamers for returning to battlefront in big numbers and so rendering possible CMSF 2.

Simple as that.

No one needs to thank anyone. We are all "Wargamers", and together we enhance the entire genre.

Simple as that.

I do both, do I thank myself twice or just the once but say your welcome twice?

As a real ole timer, I never left, been here from CMBO to CMSF-NATO.

Have been wargaming since the early 70's- started with Avalon Hill's "Blitzkreig".

CMBN will the game I have been dreaming of since the early days.

Also a proud member of the original "Refreshing Monkies Brigade".

Thank you BFC...well done!

Another of the old quiet types here, I lurked at the very beginning and became a forum member late in '99. I just pre ordered the new CM. I have been lurking over the years but really lost interest when they no longer supported Macs with the new releases, so no CM for many years now. I really hope there is enough buy in by Mac users to keep them releasing more modules for Mac OS.

It is nice to see so many of the old hands cropping up in these threads. I miss reading through the various thread's opinions and counterpoints from all of you founts of knowledge. I get to learn a lot thanks to all of you.

Looking forward to learning this all over again and perhaps fighting through a some engagements with a few of you.

Welcome back to all and its nice to be here. Again.

Not trying to stir up anything, but hasn't it been possible to play CM games on a Mac under bootcamp? As a pc only peon, I have no real understanding of what this entails though (other than having to buy a Windows OS license and dual boot I guess).

In theory, yes. But I never had any real success. Incompatible video card?, constant freezes, abnormal play all made the experience so painful I gave up

It has been my experience on these forums over the years that people will ask questions, argue over the tiniest of points, complain, and annoy.

Whether or not they have "skipped over" the new incarnation of CM, they will still do these things. The purpose of these forums is to establish a place for members to exchange information, ask game related questions, have fun and add their precious two cents to whatever discussion they choose.

To be frustrated by this seems a bit silly to me.

Sorry to disagree, but I think you have misunderstood the purpose of the internet. The exchanging of information is only incidental to the true purpose of the internet, which is to annoy, argue and complain.

I had zero interest in modern myself...but my craving for tactical wargames in the end got the better of me and I purchased CMSF...quickly followed by the marines...then the Brits....and boy am I glad I did...was the best tactical game experience I've had so i know with WW2 being my bag I'm going to be in heaven...

I suppose some who didn't buy or try CMSF due to it being modern aren't as interested in Tactical games ...more just WW2 games...because in my opinion if you do love tactical you have missed out on a good two\three years of game heaven...because once the teething problems where sorted (I didn't buy it until later) it shined like no other tactical game...