A lot of old timers coming back

After many years I am coming back as well. Had to get a new rig to play this thing though. Probably needed one anyway, but this was the catalyst. My sons are kind of excited too, they remember looking over my shoulder when they were 6-7 years old. Now one is going off to college. Sniff...

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sons are kind of excited too, they remember looking over my shoulder when they were 6-7 years old. Now one is going off to college. Sniff...

Ha! You're old! My oldest was only three and the youngest only being gestated when I last CM-ed. And now they're only 13 and ... oh, crap how'd I get this old?

I was hoping Fionn's ban would be lifted and he'd be wheeled out to do some AARs and call Steve and Jason rude names.

I'm imagining something like Captain Pike in Star Trek, a withered head and shoulders in a wheeled mechanical life support box and only able to flash lights for "yes" and "no".

:D

I was here back before CM:BO reading about it's AAR's and going crazy with release (which I got day one. Played CM:BB and CM:AK, but CM:BO was my favorite. I very pleased to see this release...AND for the MAC (which I changed to a few years ago). I'm now 64 and ready to rock again (if a bit slower;)

I was hooked on CMBO before its release but even though I'm a huge fan its been a few years since I've played. I'm really looking forward to this latest WWII installment.

I've never quit CM ...

Just how many CM:BO scenarios have I downloaded ?

I have tons of them ...

I actually , only this winter , bought CMAK and CMBB ... just wanted them all ......

So, the average age is somewhere in the early 40s. That's about 10 years older than I had guessed but probably helps to explain the tone of this forum. I belong to another (un-named) game forum where the average age is barely 20 and the quality of the posts is significantly less mature. :eek:

Stratego! Yes, thanks for the name. There were also air and naval versions that were really the same game but with planes and ships rather than troops.

Like many of you I went the route: AH, PanzerBlitz (amazing game for the time) and the entire Strategy & Tactics line. Early computer games were frustrating because of weak AI rather than poor graphics: my imagination is good enough to 'see' a red square as a T-34. Tended to stay with games like Wizardry for several years, the Civilization. When CMBO came out it was a whole new day for me, now I expect to spend several more years exploring all of the ramifications of CMBN.

Looking forward to future threads on topics as diverse as Goliath tanks and the morale effect of 88mm-equipped Jabberwocks.

Only a few weeks ago I reinstalled all 3 games and got back into competitive CMx1 ladder & tournament games over at (whisper it) The Few Good Men. I did buy CMSF when it first came out but it never got under my skin like the other titles did (and still do), looking forward to trying out CMBN.

Like many of you I went the route: AH, PanzerBlitz (amazing game for the time) and the entire Strategy & Tactics line.

As a footnote: Panzerblitz was designed by SPI and—so I understand—originally appeared as an S&T issue game. AH bought it up pretty quickly along with France 1940. Over the years AH bought a lot of SPI designed games, especially right before Gary Gigax bought up SPI. It had just completed publishing a line of former SPI games when the company was bought out by that evil company I will not name who promptly shut down the wargame operation. May they rot in hell.

Michael

As a footnote: Panzerblitz was designed by SPI and—so I understand—originally appeared as an S&T issue game. AH bought it up pretty quickly along with France 1940. Over the years AH bought a lot of SPI designed games, especially right before Gary Gigax bought up SPI. It had just completed publishing a line of former SPI games when the company was bought out by that evil company I will not name who promptly shut down the wargame operation. May they rot in hell.

Michael

Hear, Hear!!! Though I know some small companies are still hanging on, when AH was sold and They Who Shall Not Be Mentioned stopped the production of true wargames, it was the closest thing to the death of a Golden Age! With the rise of computer games it was inevitable, but still, I'd have preferred to see AH just end than have it corrupted by that heartless giant!

In an effort to set the bar high: In 1975 I got my then girlfriend hooked on France 1940 and that first tactical si-move game SPI produced, the name of which escapes me at the moment. Her long suffering did not pay off. :D

Impressive that you actually got her into it! Wargaming is one of those few remaining areas where women dare not tread! Growing up in a rural area with no nearby friends, I desperately wished my sister's being something of a Tomboy had translated to being willing to play my AH games, but she had no interest so I mostly played them solitaire.

Impressive that you actually got her into it! Wargaming is one of those few remaining areas where women dare not tread! Growing up in a rural area with no nearby friends, I desperately wished my sister's being something of a Tomboy had translated to being willing to play my AH games, but she had no interest so I mostly played them solitaire.

Well, she did breakup with me, so I'm certain she must have been at least a little gay. ;)