A lot of old timers coming back

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny enough over at The Wargamer forum someone posted the vids of the game...which ended up in a 7 page debate on what was best WEGO or RTS..blimey I thought all that was a thing of the past and people just got on and played the way they want to...I only hope over here that same old debate (which normally gets people irritated) doesn't manifest itself...it seems some people are really put out when others play it a different way and do their best to convince you how silly you are for playing the way you do...

I have a sneaky feeling that I will be staying away from forums with regards to the game once released...as I can see myself getting worked up...I will just sit and enjoy the game the way I enjoy it...

I hear you - who would have thought that black and white principles such as 'fun' and 'realism' could actually turn out to be subjective? The internet is a strange old place, and some people have an 'interesting' take on what does and what does not constitute acceptable behaviour on an internet gaming forum.

That said, I'm no old timer myself having stumbled on CMBB and then this forum by accident just before CMAK was released, but it's good to see some of the old user names returning from when I used to lurk the forums.

I used to be known as Sitzkrieg before that hacker forced BFC to nuke the password file. Can't retrieve my old account because the email account tied to it is long out of service. Original account was created in 2000.

I've been lurking this site for years following CM:SF. I've purchased all of the SF modules but haven't played them nearly as much as I did CMBO/CMBB/CMAK.

REALLY looking forward to CM:BN. The video AARs pushed me over the edge to pre-order. Just has that "feeling" the original CMBO had. More tension, epic battles, everything that made CMBO great.

BTW, I think tyrspawn should get a cut of the sales for the last few days.:D

...it seems some people are really put out when others play it a different way and do their best to convince you how silly you are for playing the way you do...

Boy, aint that the truth? I've made casual comments to other gamers on other forums about preferring one method of playing over another and sometimes it's almost like I've suddenly been transported to Salem. Mass. in the 1690s and said, "Hey, witches are people, too!" in a crowded room.

Indeed. I'm one of those that didn't like the direction Battlefront went after the highly successful WWII Combat Mission games. I didn't even try the new game in a modern setting. Maybe because I read some unfavourable reviews and the fact that a modern setting doesn't really interest me that much. It's got to be one hell of a modern day strategy/tactics game to pique my interest. The General Forum has nothing of interest anymore either so abandonment was certain.

Anyway and as I understand it BfN is now developed on a tried and tested engine. I'm very much looking forward to the release. Hopefully I will get some of that "old feeling" back when my panzers roll into hull-down in hunt mode. If only there's enough progression while keeping the brilliant that was Combat Mission this will be the strategy game we've been waiting for since.. well Combat Mission.

One support question though: I've started buying all my stuff online and preferably as direct downloads. I've read somewhere that if you buy games as direct download on battlefront.com you will only get to download it once? Is this true or just a vicious rumour? Steam has made me into a believer. I just love online databases.

Oh God I remember that train wreck. I think that was while I was "away" (post SF release) but I dropped by just to see what was up, and walked right into the midst of The Gaylord Affair.

I followed it briefly until the shame became too much, then quietly slunk back out, not to reappear for some time.

Wasn't GayLord an later incarnation of ... LEWIS? :D

One support question though: I've started buying all my stuff online and preferably as direct downloads. I've read somewhere that if you buy games as direct download on battlefront.com you will only get to download it once? Is this true or just a vicious rumour? Steam has made me into a believer. I just love online databases.

Nope - see this response to a question on this issue:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1244530&postcount=2

You can download a game up to 10 times for up to 365 days after the initial download. This is NOT a digital storage type of service such as Steam is offering. That service has its own drawbacks, and we do not offer it currently. The 10t/365d download model is mainly intended for customers who have a problem with the initial download, or want to download to more than 1 PC etc. In most cases, you do not need to download more than once. After downloading, you should simply make a copy of the setup files (e.g. burn to disc, thumb drive, or even upload to a personal online storage website). The ability to copy the setup files is one of the advantages of our system and makes you independent of any one online source or account.

What Barkhorn linked to above is something else, namely the number of activations you can have for your key. That isn't tied to your downloads. Activations and downloads are entirely separate things (another advantage of our model that is not tied to one specific online source or account).

Unlike downloads, your license key never expires. You get 4 activations "out of the box" for a key (actually, it's 2 activations plus 2 "overflow" activations), and you can add one per year, every year.

Martin

A lot of us are coming back because we can finally play on our Macs. Had the intervening versions all been OSX compatible, we would have never left.

Truth! The entire no RAVE on OSX debacle left a bad taste for many. Grrr. But it's back. Finally back ... tee hee (dancing like a silly 48 year old).

Boy, aint that the truth? I've made casual comments to other gamers on other forums about preferring one method of playing over another and sometimes it's almost like I've suddenly been transported to Salem. Mass. in the 1690s and said, "Hey, witches are people, too!" in a crowded room.

WITCH!!! Your Shermans shall burn at the stake!

:D

Talking of old timers, hello again, all. I'm sure most of you won't remember me but I live in hope that one or two might. It's been over seven years since I last posted, which certainly shocked me.

Like many I slipped away from Combat Mission when its theme turned more modern. A medieval history and archaeology degree later, and a random unexplainable urge to visit battlefront.com a couple of days ago, and viola, I don't think I've been more excited since CMAK was announced.

Looking forward to wasting half of my life again, talking to you nuts (I mean that as a term of endearment :)), and pushing around Battlefront's little pixeltruppen.

The good times are about to restart. Thanks Battlefront!

MG

Looking forward to get back to WW2. Bought SF + Marines + NATO, hoping it would hook me. It never completely did. Although I think its a very good game. Anyways, at least I supported my favourite game developer!

That is exactly my feelings. Never quite got hooked on CMSF and its modules in the same way I did the original series. But I sure was proud to support battlefront! CMx1 were so good that BF is to me etched in diamond. I hope they keep up the good work for many years to come!

Personally I buy all BTS, sorry BFC, in house products religiously. I figure I got at least 1000 $ worth of fun out of the CM Alpha Demo so in a sense I am still paying off my debt. That made me buy CM:SF in the first place but somewhere around the time of the British module it started grow on me. The omission of QB force building has continually hamstrung it and I still don't understand cover and concealment (when compared to CM1´s cover percentage rating) but there is so many ways to mix and match the forces that you are almost bound to find some kind of match up the meets your interest.

But looking at the Video AAR of CMBN and thinking about how I would have played it I can see that this will truly be it.

/M