A lot of old timers coming back

With all the excitement in the air due to the pending release of the Normandy game, I am noticing a lot of the "Old Timers" coming back to the forum.

Discussions of the possibility of resurrecting the RoW Tournaments, and the general chatter about WW2 vintage weapons and tactics are bringing old posters (who may not have been active participants during the development and release of CMSF) back into the fray.

Its been nearly 10 years since the last of the CMx1 updates, and its really great to see familiar handles active again.

With all the new folks brought in with the SF franchise, and now a new WW2 CMx2 coming out, these forums should be hopping for sometime to come.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seconded! Now all we need is Dorosh.

Err....

no.

With all the new folks brought in with the SF franchise, and now a new WW2 CMx2 coming out, these forums should be hopping for sometime to come.

I'm thinking they will. Mostly about tanks that bounce like low-riders, sadly.

The flood of old-timers can also be slightly frustrating as well. A lot of game-related questions from people who have skipped over an entire generation of CM. The CMSF and CM:Afghanistan demos are free. If nothing else they'll offer a few hours of blowin' up stuff while increasing your motor skills for CMx2 camera movements. A little practice will greatly reduce the number of initial "this game sucks!" posts from people who are simply unfamilar with the UI controls.

The flood of old-timers can also be slightly frustrating as well. A lot of game-related questions from people who have skipped over an entire generation of CM. The CMSF and CM:Afghanistan demos are free. If nothing else they'll offer a few hours of blowin' up stuff while increasing your motor skills for CMx2 camera movements. A little practice will greatly reduce the number of initial "this game sucks!" posts from people who are simply unfamilar with the UI controls.

I'd still be playing CMBO et al if it weren't for Apple's decision to nix RAVE back in 01. Old timer who skipped generation(s) of CM goodness? Yes, certainly. By choice? No. And I'm still mad about it. :) WeGo for me too.

For me, it's mostly about the setting. The WWII Western front setting is the base motivator, it was my father's war. I own CMBB and CMAK, but barely played them.

As to the modern stuff, no thanks. I don't know if it's lack of interest or if it's just too close to home, but there's just no appeal there. I'm glad the modern themed games kept the ball going forward, but that's about where my interest ends.

I don't know about any old timers vs. newbs vs. deserters stuff. I'd hope that BF slaps us all with the label of "customers" and treats us accordingly.

I preordered CMBO, CMBB, CMAK and CMSF. I loved the first 3 and still enjoy playing CMBB and CMAK, but even though I kept trying with CMSF through the first many patches, I just never enjoyed it- it wasn't fun for me to play the way CM1 was. But I have high hopes for CMBN being fun like the earlier games.

There are no 'old timers coming back'. Just returning deserters.

They will have to start with noob-status again.

Hear! Hear!

Sez the noob.

Just shows that you noobs have no idea (about the time old accounts had login problems and just created a new).

I'm here since Riesberg.

['Smaragdadler' is your search term]

Nidan1,

good to see you're fine, and around.

I still remember about our last battle "Bridgehead at Fedorowka" (my last CM PBEM game). :)

Halo Steiner14

Wie gehts, mein freund...Wo bist du?

I haven't play CMBB in a long time. It won't run on my new machine. neither will CMBB.

Still playing CMAK and CMSF....cant wait for the new game.

Gruss.

I was wondering just the other day whatever happened to that dude. [...]

Michael

Cool. First time someone remembers my old nickname. Was here all the time. Posting or lurking, playing pbem all the time.

Still open for more pbem. Send mail to adress posted above if you like. (I always try to get at least one turn out for all my opponents daily]