A lot of old timers coming back

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bought shock force to be honest never really got into it dunno why been lurking mostly since cmbo beta came out

it goes without saying i bought every combat mission game ever released

but playing the cmbo beta is a highlight for me i remember it to this day

cmbo took over my life i played it non stop cmbb and cmak where also awesome

but because cmbo was such a revolution it will always have a special place in my heart

i am hoping the same will be said for CMBFN

i have high hopes and i am equally excited for this release

i preordered cannot wait

Old timer? Heck, I'm an Ancient timer!!! Why, I remember when computers were powered by coal and we used to have to walk 4 miles in the snow to fill the scuttle.....(wanders off muttering to self)

In all reality, it is good to be back, can't wait for CMBN, looking forward to some PBEMs :D

Yes, yes... we must let the relative newbies have their time, don't we, even if our original handles (Herr Oberst) are lost in the depths of time.

Now, let all those who PRE-ordered CM:BO raise their hands. Aah, the heady days of the Alpha AAR...

*big hand up*

*big hand up*

I remember CMBO, almost flunked first year Uni because of it. I had organised my CM and studying schedule by the time CMBB came out. I also bought all the CMSF modules but have only lurked on the forums since CMAK. (Life) Also new forum account a couple of new email addresses later, yeah I'm never finding those old details. :D

It was called Squad Leader. It was played on a 30" CRT (Cardboard Real Terrainmap) and used a Nvidia six sided processor. The graphics were pretty crude by today's standards, and occasional you'd get a system crash due to a spilled drink or curious cat, but we still played it like crazy.

Seriously, maybe you're thinking about TacOps?

Now that's going to annoy me. :mad: I remember a cd and a pre-CM type game, with a pseudo-3D layout, ordering individual squads followed by combat simulation. I thought I remembered it being in WWII (Normandy or some-such). It was a Mac disc. Don't suppose it's lying around somewhere so I can get an answer since we're talking about 2000 or earlier.

CMBO was such a major step up it was like night and day. Getting old has some serious side-effects but I can't remember what they are.

Yep, I remember CMBO. Get off my lawn!

Seriously, I'm very excited for the return to Normandy. CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK are still some of my favorite games. SF didn't really click with me as I'm a WWII buff. I was thrilled to check in at battlefront and see that CMBN was close to launch!

--Chris

Now that's going to annoy me. :mad: I remember a cd and a pre-CM type game, with a pseudo-3D layout, ordering individual squads followed by combat simulation. I thought I remembered it being in WWII (Normandy or some-such). It was a Mac disc. Don't suppose it's lying around somewhere so I can get an answer since we're talking about 2000 or earlier.

I would say Close Combat, except it wasn't 3D but top-down and it used sprites instead of full animations. The first installment was set in Normandy though. I think it came out in '97 or '98.

Michael

CMBO was such a major step up it was like night and day. Getting old has some serious side-effects but I can't remember what they are.

Sounds like John Tiller's West Front/East Front/Rising Sun games, by HPS.