A lot of old timers coming back

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at my gmail account... Played my last PBEM CMBB game in July 2006. Have run up CMBB once in a while since then. I think I pre-ordered CMBO, still got the CD to hand near my PC at home. I've managed to keep the same setup migrating through 3 or 4 PCs since then. Still has dozens of batch files in the root directory for swapping out vehicle skins and few choice screen shots.

Fond memories.

:)

Looking at my gmail account... Played my last PBEM CMBB game in July 2006. Have run up CMBB once in a while since then. I think I pre-ordered CMBO, still got the CD to hand near my PC at home. I've managed to keep the same setup migrating through 3 or 4 PCs since then. Still has dozens of batch files in the root directory for swapping out vehicle skins and few choice screen shots.

Fond memories.

:)

Hopefully CMBN will have as awesome PBEM scene as CMx1 games had, or maybe they still do ? :o

As dated as it obviously is at this point, I'm reminded of just how stunning it was to see a game that took the best elements of tactical board war games, threw in a dash of plastic army guys, and mixed it with a healthy dose gear-head geeky goodness.

It was like some guy reached in my brain and pulled out the computer game that I'd always wished for. It's always going to be hard to top that initial wow factor.

The modern themed stuff just doesn't float my boat the same way.

Hear, hear! My opinion is identical. Only tactical WW2 game that "got it" ... can't wait to pre-order CMBN. Phil C????

Guess I was the shy, lurker type back when I joined in 1999. However, I did post in the general discussion forum back in 2008.

Anyway, looking forward to the new game. I'm interested to see if the company that got me into wargaming, can bring me back to wargaming with CMBN.

The flood of old-timers can also be slightly frustrating as well. A lot of game-related questions from people who have skipped over an entire generation of CM. The CMSF and CM:Afghanistan demos are free. If nothing else they'll offer a few hours of blowin' up stuff while increasing your motor skills for CMx2 camera movements. A little practice will greatly reduce the number of initial "this game sucks!" posts from people who are simply unfamilar with the UI controls.

Here here....I can see it being a possible problem and many topics from CMSF being rehashed...

I really do think that anyone wanting CMBN but hasn't played CMSF or played it when it was first released should go back and download the demo....get some practice in with the UI etc and search the cmsf forum if you have queries...

As for M Dorosh...the last time I heard him speak of CM on another forum I'd be very suprised to see him come back...

Once CMBN is out I intend to keep posting inane and simplistic questions on this forum just so I can get early experience of what it's like to be an old fart.

For warm-up...

What's realtime mode? Does it mean everyone on the internet can see me go to the toilet?

How do I rotate the camera? I preferred the old style buttons you could click on to move it I thought that was a much better system and my old bones can't cope with all this fiddly mice things you kids get up to this day and age and anyway games like combat mission are meant to be played slowly and carefully just like a fine wine or a hot wom.... etc etc

The water graphics make we want to 'go' the whole time. How can I turn the water off?

Why can't I get my American soldiers to pick up use the MG42's?

Shouldn't we be able to shoot Panzerfausts from buildings?

Oops, I did the last one already... :-D

Here here....I can see it being a possible problem and many topics from CMSF being rehashed...

If it's new to a new group of players, why not rehash it? It's a different game and hopefully will attract new blood, as well as re-attract some who've been away from the series.

Fetchez la Vache, you're only a couple decades away from being an actual old fart. It's a sound idea to practice.

As one who did not play SF (partly for technical reasons), I say let the rehashing begin!

As for M Dorosh...the last time I heard him speak of CM on another forum I'd be very suprised to see him come back...

In any event, since he was banned for repeated bad behavior, barring a special dispensation from BFC, a return would be impossible. That is to say, he could re-register under an alias and using a new e-mail address, but I expect his posting style would give him away eventually. Cf. Gaylord, who tried that repeatedly but usually was spotted after his second or third post and often by his first.

Michael

As one who did not play SF (partly for technical reasons), I say let the rehashing begin!

Mr. Emrys, there should be no re-hashing required by you, since you have been following and ummm....uh "contributing" [term used very loosely] to the CM:SF Forum for the last 4 years.

So, I nominate you sir, as the Director of the Re-Hash Committee. Your primary responsibility will be to re-hash and deal with all of the deserters reporting back in to headquarters.

Gaylord

Michael

Oh God I remember that train wreck. I think that was while I was "away" (post SF release) but I dropped by just to see what was up, and walked right into the midst of The Gaylord Affair.

I followed it briefly until the shame became too much, then quietly slunk back out, not to reappear for some time.

Just think... if your great grandkids pitched in they could probably get you a fancy new van with a built in video player in the back seat to watch Matlock on. I wonder if they make a model with a drool cup? Failing that, I'm sure one of the dozen cup holders could be modified.

Welcome back.

Steve

Thanks Steve. It's good to be back. Oddly enough I have just become a grandpa at the ripe old age of 41. My son-in-law was and is in Afghanistan so he couldn't even be there for his son's birth. Dang...41. Where does the time go?

BTW,CMN looks great. I can hardly wait.

Funny enough over at The Wargamer forum someone posted the vids of the game...which ended up in a 7 page debate on what was best WEGO or RTS..blimey I thought all that was a thing of the past and people just got on and played the way they want to...I only hope over here that same old debate (which normally gets people irritated) doesn't manifest itself...it seems some people are really put out when others play it a different way and do their best to convince you how silly you are for playing the way you do...

I have a sneaky feeling that I will be staying away from forums with regards to the game once released...as I can see myself getting worked up...I will just sit and enjoy the game the way I enjoy it...