A lot of old timers coming back

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading some posts by new forum members (I think some of them need to read How to win friends and influence people) I am pleased we are also getting back some of the old timers...

At least the old timers knwo how BF operate and have a rough idea on what to expect.

even if our original handles (Herr Oberst) are lost in the depths of time.

speak for yourself. my handle was right here waiting for me. though I have popped in to the MBT every few years just for quick a dip in the cesspool.

for me it's the return to Mac-- CMSF and CMA weren't enough to get me to get a dedicated PC, though I might see if their demos run on a rusty old one I have laying around, just to get a feel for the controls.

Well, that took some doing to re-activate my old handle (email has changed since the last time I logged in). I had no real interest in the modern era stuff but kept checking in every blue moon. Imagine my surprise to see a new game coming within a month.

I loved the old CM games and spent a lot of time in the uniform/vehicle modding sphere but the time away was good for rejuvenating my excitement for the franchise.

Now I just need the module containing my Commonwealth troops so that 21st AG can take the field once more.

Plus I have a renewed interest in Arnhem since I discovered that I had relatives that lived there throughout the war.

My wargaming has been sporadic but does go back to high school in 64-65: Avalon Hill (Guadalcanal, Africa Corps, Battle of the Bulge and so on); then a futile love for Allied General (useless AI, but I loved the game); and then the original CM (the one before CMBO) and CMBO. Definitely interested in seeing the demo of CMBN.

I stopped aging decades ago and started getting younger. I'm looking forward to my second adolescence (minus the awkwardness around the ladies).

Just did an interesting experiment. I ran the CMSF demo under parallels on my relatively old mac- it's a MacBook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo with 2 GB of RAM and an ATI video processor with 128 MB of video ram. The tutorial ran reasonably smoothly, although not quite with lifelike graphics. It bodes well for CMBN running on this machine, even though it's slower than the recommended.

It's still pretty much CM. Not any surprises in how it behaved, though I didn't try playing real time.

Hello everybody, it's been a while. I wish i had time to get into this game but i can allways consider and dream about having :) Sorry for not reading all 1000 messages and therefore i might asking stupid question here.

If i remember correctly Shock Force was real let down because of RTS and it's poor online implementation? Do i remember correctly that there even wasn't option for online play using turn based (WeGo) system on release. I had no problems with modern era, but RTS was just too much. I don't think i belongs to this series. I think that there are other games for that, for example SupCom etc. for those who want it.

Anyways, one question: On release version of Battle for Normandy, will it be possible to play online 1 vs 1 or 2 vs 2 using turn based WeGo system?

Hello everybody, it's been a while. I wish i had time to get into this game but i can allways consider and dream about having :) Sorry for not reading all 1000 messages and therefore i might asking stupid question here.

If i remember correctly Shock Force was real let down because of RTS and it's poor online implementation? Do i remember correctly that there even wasn't option for online play using turn based (WeGo) system on release. I had no problems with modern era, but RTS was just too much. I don't think i belongs to this series. I think that there are other games for that, for example SupCom etc. for those who want it.

Anyways, one question: On release version of Battle for Normandy, will it be possible to play online 1 vs 1 or 2 vs 2 using turn based WeGo system?

No, I believe no WEGO tcp/ip. So same as Shock force RTS and WEGO against computer. WEGO via email or RTS via tcp/ip.

I'm back too, I already said that I had no interest in modern warfare when BFC planned CMSF but who can do more can do less, and I have no doubt that CMBN will be a great wargame and a finish product than CMSF in the beginning has been(number of patches)! I pre-order the game like I bought all CMX1 serie!

All the best

Pat

Downloaded the shock force demo,scrounged up a copy of XP and fired up boot camp to acquaint my self with the interface.

Damnit I'm gonna have to buy shock force as well.

as an old CM1 engine veteran, same for me , while waiting the CMBN demo, it will be great to learn some basics about CMX2 engine.

Ok, the game before CMBO. What was it called?

Flight Commander or something like that? I never had too much to do with it, just played the demo. But later on I did buy and sort of got into Over the Reich and Achtung Spitfire! Was it one of those you were thinking of?

Michael

Ok, the game before CMBO. What was it called?

It was called Squad Leader. It was played on a 30" CRT (Cardboard Real Terrainmap) and used a Nvidia six sided processor. The graphics were pretty crude by today's standards, and occasional you'd get a system crash due to a spilled drink or curious cat, but we still played it like crazy.

Seriously, maybe you're thinking about TacOps?

It was called Squad Leader.

Not a BFC game. Not even a BTS game. You slipped up there, otherwise a clever post.

Seriously, maybe you're thinking about TacOps?

I don't think that became part of the BTS stable until after CM came out. The game itself predates CM by about five years, but was originally published by Arsenal.

Michael

You also had Advanced Squad Leader which was the second iteration of the original game. There are still many folks playing that game. Not sure if any new mods for it are coming out, but there are a lot of websites still around catering to ASL officianados.

But again, that was never a BFC game, as the OP was asking about.

Michael