How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

1 minute ago, BamaMatt said:

Sburke, why would Russia not immediately sever Ukraine's ties to the Russian power grid on day one? 

Why would they not ensure air superiority?

Why would they ensure information/comms superiority?

Why does Ukraine still have a functioning C2 structure?

Why would they not ensure logistical superiority?

Why would they not cut off Western Ukraine from western support as a priority?

This and a whole lotta other operational pre-conditions....?

5 minutes ago, BamaMatt said:

Sburke, why would Russia not immediately sever Ukraine's ties to the Russian power grid on day one? 

From the CBS article Sburke linked:

The two countries (Ukraine and Moldova, my addition) were previously part of the Integrated Power System that also includes Russia and Belarus. This made Ukraine dependent on Russia's grid operator despite there having been no electricity trade between the two countries for years.

18 minutes ago, BamaMatt said:

As far as before a war Ukrainan energy grid conducted a test cut off from Russia, Belarus and EU grids. This test was successfully finished 26th Feb even despite war. This test have to prove capability of Ukrainian energy system to maintain itself before official joining to EU grid and cutting of from Russian grid. This should happen in summer, but because of war the terms were shifted to "immediately"

Edited by Haiduk

Soldiers of UKR 25th airborne brigade captured BTR-82A and MTLB. As I know they fight on Izium direction, Kharkiv oblast and around

Зображення

BTR-82A hasn't any markings, except unit tactical sign, but I can't identify it

Зображення

Edited by Haiduk

the image compression is consistent, and the way the symbol is washed out by the light on the right side of the vehicle leads me to believe its not an obvious fake. someone with moderate skill could still pull this off, but I see no obvious red flags of manipulation.

36 minutes ago, Probus said:

I don’t think that can be trusted Kraze. If polls in Russia can get you thrown in jail, that is…

That can be trusted. Multiple western sources show the same results. Posted them before. It's stable 65% on avg who are very pro war in Russia.

These polls are an important example to people, who are not neighbors with Russia - for whom the sole fact of Russia being the source of almost all wars on planet Earth in the past 30 years is not enough or they don't make the connection.

On 2/24/2022 at 3:27 PM, The_Capt said:

- US will likely "take the gloves off" in the political warfare arena.  So far the west has been pretty much defensive in this space but I am betting some old-school options are going to come back on the table. 

🤣 I do wonder what universe some people live in.

On 2/24/2022 at 3:40 PM, womble said:

That would be endgame for Putin, wouldn't it? The Finns have a very strong record against Russia, I gather :)

They lost. Just have to remind you they lost. Okay? They lost. All right, let's move on.

So it's been about a month since this thread was started, and I think we have an answer to the question posed in the title. This is as hot as it's going to get. Whether or not Russia takes the entire country, or whether they are content to partition it is up to them to decide (but personally I'm leaning towards partitioning as a means of keeping them out of NATO), but a few things are clear now the situation has developed:

• Ukraine cannot stop all of the Russian advances. They have had success with local counterattacks, and have stopped some advances temporarily, but Russian forces continue to advance in other areas. There have been 'operational pauses' but there have been no STOPS. The presence of western AT weapons and other lethal support extended to Ukraine by (he who shall not be named) (and others) has given them much more than the walkover they were expecting, but the Russian is tough and used to hardship, even those inflicted upon him by his own command structure. No supplies? No problem! Just steal food and gas from Ukrainian gas stations! People throwing molotov cocktails at you? No problem! Just tell them to go away or you will shoot them! The Russian is used to operating this way.
  • Ukraine cannot control it's airspace. The Russians have taken losses, but they remain free to operate combat aircraft and helicopters over most of the country. Ukraine itself seems only capable of operating aircraft and helicopters in certain areas, and they cannot replace their losses without outside help. Very early in the invasion we heard reports of Ukrainian helicopters and aircraft attacking advancing Russian columns but those reports have died down, and the Russian wouldn't be parking a 40km long line of tanks, trucks, and other vehicles on the highway if there was any existing air threat.
  • The Russian Navy has free access to the Black Sea, which means they can conduct fire support and amphibious operations anywhere they want to at any time. Ukraine has shown exactly zero capability to effect this outcome, although something makes me think there are still existing defenses in some areas., because the Russian has not operated as aggressively as I would think he could.
  • The United States will do nothing but levy sanctions. The current leadership is incapable of doing anything else, an entire generation of people are now sick of foreign wars and interventions, and there will be no groundswell of support for intervention in Ukraine despite the froth mouthed rhetoric of people on twitter and reddit. The average American is more concerned about the crashing economy, inflation, the price of food and gas, and the fact we're currently stuck with a President and a Congress that doesn't seem capable of undoing the decisions that led to this outcome in the first place. I certainly am not running over to the recruitment center any more than I didn't for Afghanistan, or Iraq, or Syria, or Libya, etc. That's just me though, if you want to get your nuts up, and hop on a plane to Ukraine go right ahead. If you happen to meet a guy named Yuri Gavriluk tell him I said hi.
  • Europe will do nothing more than levy sanctions. They rely too much on Russian oil and gas to make up shortfalls in their overall energy production, and they have long since allowed their defense spending to fall below the minimums set by NATO participation. They will need to increase funding, acquire new equipment, recruit and train  new troops, and then maybe a couple years from now consider intervention. Despite the fact (he who shall not be named) tried to call them out years ago for their lack of defense spending, insisting they 'pay their fair share' Europe at large just didn't care. Now the situation will most likely end before the EU is in a position to do anything about it.

It really comes down to, how long does Russia want to keep this up, when they do call a stop, and what are going to be their terms for a ceasefire?

I'm only on page 12 right now but I doubt I'll see anything to refute any of this.

18 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Does anyone else find it odd the deputy of the regimental commander was flying active combat missions?

I don't. Having served in the USMC Air Wing, and worked with Flight Test Pilots and Flight Test Engineers in the FAA for more than 20 years, I know for a fact that if a Pilots or aircrew, either Military or FAA Flight Test don't fly a certain number of hours every month, they lose their flight pay incentive. for that month. That also applies to during war. I don't know if Russia or others use that system or not, but I rather suspect it does. Besides, every good leader knows that you don't ask {or order} any subordinates to do anything you're not willing to do yourself. Just because they're Russians doesn't mean they aren't good leaders.

50 minutes ago, BamaMatt said:

Because they believed they were going to occupy whole country in 2 days and hold a victory parade in Kyiv on 3rd. Brought parade uniforms and prettied up parade tanks with them.

Why break what is almost yours when you just need to hit the win button?

Edited by kraze

14 minutes ago, General Jack Ripper said:

🤣 I do wonder what universe some people live in.

14 minutes ago, General Jack Ripper said:

They lost. Just have to remind you they lost. Okay? They lost. All right, let's move on.

Why on earth are you dragging up posts from near the end of last month, especially when it looks like you're just trying to poke someone in the face and say "haha, I told you so!" Skip to about page 270 and join the rest of us in the current time.

23 minutes ago, kraze said:

That can be trusted. Multiple western sources show the same results. Posted them before. It's stable 65% on avg who are very pro war in Russia.

These polls are an important example to people, who are not neighbors with Russia - for whom the sole fact of Russia being the source of almost all wars on planet Earth in the past 30 years is not enough or they don't make the connection.

While the poll may be valid, giving Moscow credit for almost all wars in the last 30 years... nah.  Humans will find a reason to shoot at each other, they don't need Moscow for that.