How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

Just to reiterate, as if it was needed, that I totally condemn what Russia has done, I do find we are already seeing Western Media bias in the way it is being reported. I've seen captured Russian soldiers being paraded before the cameras and asked why they are there, which breaches the Geneva Convention, without so much as a peep out of the Media. When the same thing happened to Western servicemen in Iraq, their ill-treatment was headline news.

8 minutes ago, Cpl Steiner said:

Just to reiterate, as if it was needed, that I totally condemn what Russia has done, I do find we are already seeing Western Media bias in the way it is being reported. I've seen captured Russian soldiers being paraded before the cameras and asked why they are there, which breaches the Geneva Convention, without so much as a peep out of the Media.

Yup, and Russia certainly does this as well.  I think the mass introduction of cameras and instant communications has changed things permanently.

When the same thing happened to Western servicemen in Iraq, their ill-treatment was headline news.

Though I'd like to point out there's a big difference between a soldier sharing a video of asking pointed questions to a newly captured enemy combatant and a nation state taking a formally processed POW and literally torturing him into making a false statement before the cameras.  Iraq did the latter, Ukraine has not.

Steve

1 hour ago, Aragorn2002 said:

We think alike 🙂

Much more than you know perhaps. I pride myself on being an amateur historian. I know the basic history of Eastern Europe from the creation of the Kiev Rus up to the present, and there is plenty of blame to be spread around for conditions and politics of today. I’m probably one of few former USMC (1969 to 1982j who know the underpinnings of the U.S./Vietnam conflict, and how it could have been prevented by FDR when asked by Ho Chi Min for weapons to drive the Japanese out of “French” Indochina, any guesses what his decision was? I tend to asses situations based on knowledge of the region’s history, and not nationalism. And, I despise “revisionist history.”

Just to reiterate, as if it was needed, that I totally condemn what Russia has done, I do find we are already seeing Western Media bias in the way it is being reported. I've seen captured Russian soldiers being paraded before the cameras and asked why they are there, which breaches the Geneva Convention, without so much as a peep out of the Media. When the same thing happened to Western servicemen in Iraq, their ill-treatment was headline news.

I think this response, from a veteran poster, adequately justifies my first post, Steve.

Kind regards,

Mark

1 minute ago, Mft004 said:

I think this response, from a veteran poster, adequately justifies my first post, Steve.

Kind regards,

Mark

"Justifies"?  Nobody needs to justify making a post here.  It would be nice if your first post wasn't so factually flawed, dismissive, and full of hubris, but you don't have to justify posting it.

Steve

1 hour ago, Cpl Steiner said:

Just wondering about all these new EU actions like sending AT weapons to Ukraine. Isn't that, in Putin's eyes, an escalation? If so, what can he do to retaliate?

Actually, it might be having the exact opposite effect in showing that the EU isn’t swallowing his BS anymore, and is uniting against him. Nothing unites a political faction faster than recognizing a common threat.

More from the BBC on the "Kyiv is surrounded" rumour:

"Not long ago, we reported that Kyiv's mayor had told Associated Press that his city was "encircled" by Russian forces.

Now Vitali Klitschko is saying that is not the case, and it is in fact "disinformation".

Writing on the Telegram messaging app, he said: "Russian internet publications spread information with reference to me that Kyiv is allegedly surrounded and evacuation of people is impossible.

"Do not believe lies! Trust information only from official sources", he said.

I'm surprised such misinformation would get published on AP.

3 hours ago, Sarjen said:

A good move for the EU would be now to announce an EU membership perspective for Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova. Thus they dont have to be invited into the NATO and still be under the EU mutual aid guarantee. Furthermore it challenges the neo-imperialist Russian elite. In view of the high popularity of Europe in Russia, it would suggest to ordinary Russians that the future of post-Soviet states is not predetermined by their common past as parts of the Tsarist and Soviet empires. And conjuring up an image of an allegedly existential security threat to the Russian nation would not easily work regarding a possible enlargement of the EU to the east.

Well. I think I got that right. Ukraine is "one of us and we want them in the European Union,” Ursula von der Leyen has told Euronews. 

2 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

More from the BBC on the "Kyiv is surrounded" rumour:

"Not long ago, we reported that Kyiv's mayor had told Associated Press that his city was "encircled" by Russian forces.

Now Vitali Klitschko is saying that is not the case, and it is in fact "disinformation".

Writing on the Telegram messaging app, he said: "Russian internet publications spread information with reference to me that Kyiv is allegedly surrounded and evacuation of people is impossible.

"Do not believe lies! Trust information only from official sources", he said.

I'm surprised such misinformation would get published on AP.

I am not saying @Haiduk is an impartial source (and seriously who could blame him) but he called this a couple hours ago. 

10 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

"Justifies"?  Nobody needs to justify making a post here.

Ive been posting filth here for days and nobody has told me to stop. If I can do it, whose to say anyone else cant?

Speaking of filth:

Apparently the victory press release has leaked and boy. Read that last bit above the fold. I wish we could get the full thing. 

Take the good with the bad I suppose 

1 minute ago, BeondTheGrave said:

Ive been posting filth here for days and nobody has told me to stop. If I can do it, whose to say anyone else cant?

Speaking of filth:

Apparently the victory press release has leaked and boy. Read that last bit above the fold. I wish we could get the full thing.

Take the good with the bad I suppose 

Yup, good with the bad

1 hour ago, Homo_Ferricus said:

Guess I'm throwing in my 2 cents on the political side--as a Russian that came to the US as a little boy, I've got some visibility into the culture. The US/NATO played a role in stoking this by spreading NATO post-cold war TOWARDS Russia's borders. NATO does not appreciate that Russia considers this an existential threat, as we can see by their actions... I'm against wars of aggression, of course, easily. I'm rooting for Ukraine, and wishing the violence and death would end. That said I think NATO has a part to play in de-escalating and naming Ukraine as a neutral country. To keep upping the ante with announcing more lethal aid can get reckless. This is a rather dangerous game of chicken.

If you look at any political discussion between nations or treaty organizations, it’s always about obtaining advantages based on previous conflicts, instead of “How can we, as prospective opposing belligerents prevent the misunderstandings and perceptions from causing another conflict. Politicians almost NEVER learn from history, and so we are doomed to repeat it. Ergo the talk of “reparations.” Didn’t the victors of WW I think that was a good ideas “ to punish the Hun?” How well did that work? Felt great from the vengeance aspect though.

15 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

BTW, this is a good example of what's going wrong with the Russian attacks.  Put on your CM hats here for a second.  You're playing a QB and are tasked with taking a major city that's been kicking your ass for days now.  You are getting ready to purchase forces.  What is your first thought of a force purchase?  A platoon of infantry and some light armored trucks?  If so, then you should sign up to play some multiplayer games against nOoBz so they can rack up some victories.

Steve

I really don't understand this. They are acting without any logic. I was asking myself if it was a kind of Maskirovka.
I am really confused by what they are doing - tactically speaking.