A Word on Follow-on Modules

10 hours ago, Sequoia said:

I'd expect France would be more willing to enter the war than the Warsaw Pact allies.

It wouldn't have any choice given its military presence in Berlin.  Although I've not gone through the detail, I would wager that the French had more troops in Germany during the Cold War than the Netherlands and Canada did individually and possibly more than the Belgians too, although I can't recall what proportion of 1 (BE) Corps was forward-deployed.  I reiterate my point about them being worthy module candidates and for the modding sandboxers out there, French forces offer all sorts of Middle East and Africa possibilities than say the Finns, the Swedes, Austria or the most neutral country in the World for a number of decades ... the Swiss ... that have all been mentioned as 'great' module candidates.

On 3/13/2021 at 5:00 AM, Combatintman said:

It wouldn't have any choice given its military presence in Berlin.  Although I've not gone through the detail, I would wager that the French had more troops in Germany during the Cold War than the Netherlands and Canada did individually and possibly more than the Belgians too, although I can't recall what proportion of 1 (BE) Corps was forward-deployed.  I reiterate my point about them being worthy module candidates and for the modding sandboxers out there, French forces offer all sorts of Middle East and Africa possibilities than say the Finns, the Swedes, Austria or the most neutral country in the World for a number of decades ... the Swiss ... that have all been mentioned as 'great' module candidates.

France had around 50,000 men in Germany and 600 AMX 30 tanks in the 1980s.

In the same way we learned during the obligatory military service that one attack on the german territory entailed an intervention on our part automatically, idem in the event of nuclear strike. The French nuclear fire being able to be launched by the Germans in the event that Paris would have been annihilated.
Currently there are only 500 French soldiers in Germany and there must be as many German soldiers stationed in France !
We must keep the traditions 😁

Edited by Falaise

26 minutes ago, Falaise said:

France had around 50,000 men in Germany and 600 AMX 30 tanks in the 1980s.

In the same way we learned during the obligatory military service that one attack on the german territory entailed an intervention on our part automatically, idem in the event of nuclear strike. The French nuclear fire being able to be launched by the Germans in the event that Paris would have been annihilated.
Currently there are only 500 French soldiers in Germany and there must be as many German soldiers stationed in France !
We must keep the traditions 😁

Allez les gars ... looks like the French were about the same size as the Brits then.  We had 55,000 troops in Germany, I have no idea how many tanks off the top of my head but certainly in 5-600 ballpark.

Now don't you pair start fighting now 😉

It should be noted that every incoming French administration has adamantly insisted that it took it's NATO commitment seriously.  Don't confuse not being under the unified command with being outside the Alliance.  During the Cold War, the French knew that they were next on the menu after the FRG.  They would've fought.  

• 2 weeks later...

Besides obvious candidates I'd suggest these scenarios

- 1948-1991 Politburo crisis - USSR/Warszaw Pact v Yugoslavia. Potential involvement of USA/NATO on Yug side

- 1981 A neofascist coup in Italy, attack on Yugoslavia or Yug takes oportunity to take Trieste

-1991 War in Yugoslavia on the tail of Cold War

29 minutes ago, JulianJ said:

Are we still expecting a release date around April 1st?  I haven't pre-ordered because I didn't want to get my hopes too high in case of a delay.

Not sure where this April 1st date came from. The official release date is just the month of April. 

But to answer your question, yes we are fully expecting the game to come out in April. 

On 3/5/2021 at 11:15 PM, Freyberg said:

There were some very militant communists in Germany and Europe in the 1970s - a module including European Communist insurgents would be seriously quite interesting.

I was a very militant communist during the late 70s-early 80s when I was young and thought I could change the world, but that is another story.

Most young "communists" back then were actually Marxists who thought of the Soviet Union as being only slightly better than the USA. Most Marxists believed the type of state controlled economy in the USSR set up under Lenin and Stalin had little to do with Marx's original concept and was just a different style of imperialism and capitalism with a governing class made up of top Party bureaucrats. The left-wing political filmmaker Costa Gravas released "The Confession" in the early 70s which was a powerful indictment against the Stalinist show trials in Czechoslovakia in the early 50s which had a big impact on many of us back then.

The point is that it is extremely doubtful any of the Euro communists who were actually more social-democrats than real hardline communists would have seen a Soviet invasion as a "liberation". They would actually be more likely to want to defend western democracy which despite all its flaws is still better than Soviet style "People's Democracy".

Edited by Sgt Joch

I'm not going to trawl through the entire thread in case this has already been mentioned but, as much as I'd like to see the BAOR (British) in the game, I have to recognise that it would have played a very small part in a hypothetical Fulda Gap battle. I remember playing the old SPI board game, "Fulda Gap: The First Battle of the Next War", and seeing just how small a force the BAOR was in comparison to the other NATO counters on the map.

3 hours ago, Cpl Steiner said:

I'm not going to trawl through the entire thread in case this has already been mentioned but, as much as I'd like to see the BAOR (British) in the game, I have to recognise that it would have played a very small part in a hypothetical Fulda Gap battle. I remember playing the old SPI board game, "Fulda Gap: The First Battle of the Next War", and seeing just how small a force the BAOR was in comparison to the other NATO counters on the map.

Given that its deployment area was between Hannover and the Harz Mountains then 1 (BR) Corps should play no part in the Fulda Gap battle unless a subaltern with a map had a horrendously bad day.  If there are to be modules then they will be set in the appropriate areas of Germany for those forces so the Cloggies between Hamburg and Bremen, 1 (GE) Corps between Bremen and Hannover, the Belgies between the Harz Mountains and Kassel.

And if we're talking numbers ... in the ballpark of 55,000 troops grouped into four armoured divisions each with two brigade-sized task forces plus another brigade-sized unit (5 Field Force) and the Berlin Brigade.

Edited by Combatintman

On 3/26/2021 at 5:03 PM, IICptMillerII said:

Not sure where this April 1st date came from. The official release date is just the month of April. 

But to answer your question, yes we are fully expecting the game to come out in April. 

LOL the conversation goes something like this:

Product owner: "We are releasing the product in April"

What the Marketing Department and Customers hear: "We are releasing the product April 1st"

What Developers hear: "We are releasing at the end of April"

• 10 months later...
On 3/6/2021 at 9:54 PM, HowMuchForYou? said:

If we could all agree on a Chechnya/Grozny add on then that’d be great.

On 3/7/2021 at 3:20 AM, Sprocketman said:

I for one would be very interested in a CM: Afghanistan or CM: Chechen War module more or less along the lines of SF2, but with Russia & Allies as the protagonists.

But I (unfortunately) have a feeling that just wouldn't be a commercial success for the developers.

+1

The Chechen Wars and the Soviet-Afghan War are way too underrepresented in video games and other media. Both theatres would also allow for very plausible snow maps and I guess everyone would be happy to finally have snow maps in a modern era Combat Mission.

6 hours ago, DMS said:

As well as Arab-Israel wars. Now, after "Black sea", this setting doesn't look too hot. :)

That's true. But for some reason people really don't want to touch any of the things that happened between the Arabs and the Israeli. We really need more "less known" (depending on where you're from, of course) conflicts and wars. Only imagine: having all those early post World War II units would be very interesting! Although of course, much more fitting as module to Shock Force 2 or a stand-alone game. Suddenly having desert in Cold War seems implausible.