A Word on Follow-on Modules

I agree that adding Warsaw Pact nations would be a great way to add a little more depth and flavor to the game. Arguably they're basically Soviet-Lite, but the same the argument could've been made against added Commonwealth nations to Normandy/Fortress Italy.

At the least, I'd like to see East Germany, Poland, and Czechoslovakia... which are arguably the 'first tier' of satellite states. Romania too would have some interesting stuff that might be worth adding.

The addition of the Warsaw Pact countries will also allow you to play interesting Red vs Red scenarios. CMCW covers the period of unrest in Eastern Europe and the introduction of martial law in Poland. I remember those times. It was close to a revolt against the Soviet Union.

Looking at the TOE for the base game the Americans have a Bradley and an M1... I was stationed in Germany in the early to mid 80's as a Chieftain commander. We did large exercises (FTX) with the Americans and others and I never saw them about. Their main battle tank was the M-60 at the time.

16 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

Looking at the TOE for the base game the Americans have a Bradley and an M1... I was stationed in Germany in the early to mid 80's as a Chieftain commander. We did large exercises (FTX) with the Americans and others and I never saw them about. Their main battle tank was the M-60 at the time.

The fielding of M-1 and M-2/M3 has been considered with the rationale, within the scope of the timeframe and module narrative that if the sh1t hit the fan they would make their way to the front line to stop the Soviet hordes.  Although all of the scenario and campaign content is not finalised yet, rest assured that you'll likely see more M-60 and M-113 combos than M-1 and M-2/M-3 combos in the content that ships when the game is released.

After the obligatory BAOR and Bundeswehr modules, and my greatly desired Airborne module. I would think a Turkish module would be fun. Soviet marine, airborne, and air mobile operations supporting 2nd line divisions pushing for the Bosporus Strait would be quite interesting I think.

... and another post, to mostly satisfy my occasional OCD about such matters and beat a dead horse about wishes for this game.

My prognostication on possible future modules in the European theater (modified from my original post to suggest a model that would work with the game licensing):

1. Update TOE for US/Soviets to '91 (now '79 - '91). Include US Airborne and Soviet VDV ('79 - '91 TOE), these formations/units would be unique to this module (along with the US '83 - '91 TOE). Add winter textures for terrain and units (base game and 1st module).

Future modules would have a TOE from '79 - '91 for their respective additions, have corresponding winter textures and include/activate the expanded Soviet TOE to '91 that originally came in the first module. This would satisfy the requirement that modules don't have content that require anything beyond the base game.

2. West Germany / East Germany

3. Britain (BAOR) / Poland / Czechoslovakia 

4. Canada / Netherlands / Belgium / Denmark / Austria (?)

Modules that would probably be unlikely to be made, but would be cool if they did show up:

5. France

6. Italy / Yugoslavia / Romania / Hungary

7. Norway / Finland / USMC / Sweden (?)

8. Turkey / Greece / Bulgaria

Modules that would be HIGHLY unlikely to be made, but could possibly be 'constructed' by modders to some extent, assuming the first four modules listed above are actually made:

9. Gulf War '91 (though the data wouldn't match for the Iraqi export versions)

10. Iran - Iraq War '80 - '88  (same as above regarding 'export' models and Iranian customizations along with an inaccurate small arms list)

11. India - Pakistan War '71  (probably too far of a stretch and would still lack quite a few units - assuming Centurions ever make it in)

The Arab-Israeli wars ('67 - '82... earlier conflicts may be too much work) would seem to need enough additional models and weapons data that it probably would require a Battlefront-created module to do it any justice. However past statements by Steve suggest that they wouldn't want to touch such content due to the negative politics that can surround such subject matter (even if they are only historical conflicts).

I have no clue as to what may actually be possible when it comes to further content for this game. It has unfortunately taken Battlefront much longer than expected to create modules for many of their games and the same situation can easily (and quite likely) repeat here. The 'Fire and Rubble' module for CMRT should be released BEFORE CMCW gets released (in my estimation), while work on the final module for CMFB and CMBS would be on the table in this time frame. However with the 'sandbox/non-historical' nature of this particular game, some content may be easier to produce (scenarios and campaigns) and the TOEs may be easier to research (to a certain extent).

Edited by Schrullenhaft

If we can sweet talk the CMCW design team into including in some uncons ('Gladiators', partisan militias and GI remnants in Berlin, spetsnaz operating deep in West Germany) teams and pickup 'technicals' in a module, that opens up a sandbox of Eighties what-ifs, e.g.

- 1981 Solidarity uprising; Jaruzelski can't keep the Polish army onside, triggering a Soviet invasion. But in the RPG/Stinger era that ends up less like Hungary or Czecho, and more like A'stan; fed up Poles take to the hills and hollers, where  Third Shock Army's heavy mech is hunting mosquitoes with a sledgehammer.

- Speaking of A'stan, @Sgt.Squarehead and a few fedayeen will rapidly solve the CMA update conundrum the moment you give them something to mod Mujahideen out of.

- 1982-1983 Lebanon expedition goes even more sideways than it did historically.

- 1980s era Bloc kit plus Uncons gives you pretty much everything you need to wade into the Yugoslavia mess of the 1990s.

- The nukes fly in Germany and 'Twilight 2000' arrives early. Regiments and battalions, shorn of their command structures and supply trains, live off the land, recruit locally and devolve into multiethnic warbands as the new Dark Ages descend upon radiation-poisoned Europe.

Whose dragoon mods are you using?

Yesssss. Horses. Cavalry. The ultimate CM forbidden fruit, for those of us Olde Ones who have been here since CM days of yore (2000). You know you want them, Steve. It is your Dessstiny....

The US and the UK with financial backing finances the secret armies of Europe, they fight IRA style. On the outside a Lukewarm War. Behind it all a deadly cat and mouse game takes place. The Soviet Union financially is facing ruin as years go by. The European population is harder to control by the day. The day of the European Secret Armies highly skilled and motivated working in concert with US and British Special forces. 

27 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

Isn't Bundeswehr all the armed forces  including the navy and airforce ? What was/is the Army alone called?

Wehr etymology is related to the English word war. Heer is the land forces of the German army. Bundeswehr could be translated as the Army of the German Federation. My German is not anymore of what it used to be. 

Oberkommando could be translated as High Command OKW translates as The High Command of the Armed Forces. OKH as the High Command of the Land forces. We really need to consult a native speaker here. The German language has the characteristic of making new words of existing words. Bundeswehr didn't exist in WW 2. WW 2 had the Reichstag, and the government of West Germany was called the Bundestag. So, I translated the Bundeswehr as the Armed forces of the German federation. 

36 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

Wehr etymology is related to the English word war. Heer is the land forces of the German army. Bundeswehr could be translated as the Army of the German Federation. My German is not anymore of what it used to be. 

In Holland the army was referred to as Weermacht before ww2. After the war that term was only used for the German army of ww2. 

2 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

Oberkommando could be translated as High Command OKW translates as The High Command of the Armed Forces. OKH as the High Command of the Land forces. We really need to consult a native speaker here. The German language has the characteristic of making new words of existing words. Bundeswehr didn't exist in WW 2. WW 2 had the Reichstag, and the government of West Germany was called the Bundestag. So, I translated the Bundeswehr as the Armed forces of the German federation. 

You're right. And don't forget the term Reichswehr for the interwar German army of the Weimar Republic.