A Word on Follow-on Modules

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

It’s the Yom Kippur War for me 🙂!

During the forty-five years of the Cold War, it was the only major, mechanised warfare clash. All the classic armour of the Cold War was used in quantity. Added to which it was very close-run thing.  Most books on the war end after the Chinese Farm battles. In the real-world Israel was losing as many men in the last seven days of the war as it did during the first four days. Long after Chinese Farm.

Best book I know on the subject is Yom Kippur, No Peace, No War, October 1973 by Peter Baxter. Great little book, very even handed and full of interesting information.

Unbelievably lucky to have CM at all!

All the best,

Kip.

PS Hear what some say who may know what wargames sell and which don’t. But still Yum Kippur for me🙂.

10 hours ago, kipanderson said:

Hi,

It’s the Yom Kippur War for me 🙂!

During the forty-five years of the Cold War, it was the only major, mechanised warfare clash. All the classic armour of the Cold War was used in quantity. Added to which it was very close-run thing.  Most books on the war end after the Chinese Farm battles. In the real-world Israel was losing as many men in the last seven days of the war as it did during the first four days. Long after Chinese Farm.

Best book I know on the subject is Yom Kippur, No Peace, No War, October 1973 by Peter Baxter. Great little book, very even handed and full of interesting information.

Unbelievably lucky to have CM at all!

All the best,

Kip.

PS Hear what some say who may know what wargames sell and which don’t. But still Yum Kippur for me🙂.

I think with  all CM modules existing now, is almost possible to have something to created an "Israelo Arab war"

For exemple (and probably a bad exemple) > Sherman from cmfb, m60 cmcw, halftrack from cmfb, a conversion of the btr 152  with for exemple a mix of a scout car ww2 and a halftrack, or whatever will be possible, we have already  all soviet "T" >34 to 80 so Egypt and more...are already safe, left and right pick up some vehicles, terrains and small arms, from AF, BN, FB, SF2, CW, BS RT,... , and we have a new (Un)pacific Theater in the Middle East, question is to using the correct CM for the engine and make the game realistic ?

SF2, CW, BS...

of course is no so simple as that but I am sure is possible to something !

or waiting that Steve give the anonce of CM(ME) for (Middle East) 😆

just a simple Idea (sigh) !

JM

Edited by JM Stuff

16 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

A swing? 

I know you can add modded looks to vehicles ( @kohlenklau has taught me that) but if you can 'transplant' vehicles that is a great advance. BFC may disagree but I'm sure they'll understand the love that goes into it...

Yep I got it ingame. And Phil helped me with it! He's the man. I replaced panther ausf g. (Late) with the m48 from cmcw. I fell asleep before they came in though. Much bigger than a sherman. 

Great stuff!

But... is it kinda like my Sherman looks like an M48, or is it my ex-Sherman is now an M48 and has the attributes of an M48?

You may have already said it and I missed it, but I'm hoping for a certain answer 😉.

And a disclaimer.  I only really like historical, but this could help there between titles of course.

So what you do is:

The general idea of all this is you want to use the RezExplode program, and copy+paste your data files into that program, so you can explode them, and see what is available to with. That's the whole point of doing this for me so far.

1) So go to program files x86->battlefront->combat mission fb->data and then copy the .brz which are 1.8gb each. Then paste them into:

program files x86-> battlefront-> combat missionfb-> mod tools-> rezexplode->input.

2) After the 10gb or whatever is done pasting, then back out of that folder, and double click on rezexplode to run the program. Make sure you back out of the folder in other tabs too, because the folder will want to change names and wont be able to if you are accessing it I think. So after it will turn from in progress, to output.

3) If you do this to a second game then you're able to swap vehicles between the two games. So rezexplode your 2nd game.

4) After you have both sets of files, you want to copy the M48 from cmcw over let's say.

Go to rezexplode->cmcw103c (or whatever) -> vehicles-> m48

copy m48

paste that folder in your

documents-> battlefront->combat mission->fb->user data-> (m48 ... this is the copied folder).

---------------------------------------------

You ONLY have to do 4 easy things after this. Lets say you want to use the Panther G (late) as the host vehicle for the m48 to really be under the model swap. You choose panther G because the m48 has a 90mm gun which is much better than the 76mm on the sherman jumbo.

OK so

1) copy the name of the .mdr from program files x86->combat mission-> mod tools->rezexplode->output->vehicles->panther

it will be "panther-g-late.mdr". Copy that name, and replace the m48-patton.mdr's name found in the documents folder:

documents->combat mission fb->user data->m48

Follow that with a space, and in brackets you will assign it a mod tag. it will look like this:

panther-g-late [patton] (this used to be the m48-patton.mdr)

That file is good!

Now two more:

2) Panther-ausf-g-(late)-lod-2.mdr, same process as above. keep the lod-2 part, and add the new [patton] mod tag. (Whatever the name is, I don't remember... lol Kohelkalu said the same line to me about the same thing).

3) panther-asuf-g-(late)-lod-4.mdr, same process as above.

FINALLY! You want to add a mod tag to:

documents->combat mission->Game files->tags

It will be a .txt file which will have as many mod tags as you want inside, each doing something different to the graphics ingame. You can name the .txt anything you want, but inside of it you have to type "patton".

If you want to add another tag to that then separate with a comma only.

So finally again, load up your game and scenario editor, in the mission tab that opens right away, at the bottom it will say Mod tags. Click that, then import, and click the new .txt file you created, which will be in your Document's Game Files. It should say patton up top ingame on screen if you did it correct.

Now you can buy a panther ausf g late and load up the editor and see if it worked!

8 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Great stuff!

But... is it kinda like my Sherman looks like an M48, or is it my ex-Sherman is now an M48 and has the attributes of an M48?

You may have already said it and I missed it, but I'm hoping for a certain answer 😉.

And a disclaimer.  I only really like historical, but this could help there between titles of course.

Yeah so this is definitely in inbetween the title Macgyver kind of thing. the m48 is really a panther, but looks like a m48. It unfortunately has a german crew. I could have used a m36 jackson with the 90mm gun, but I decided not to since the armor was clearly inadequate, and it was open topped.

Yes please, I'm the world's number 1 Panther fan after some recent battles against my good friend @RMM

So it sounds like a 'look-alike' replacement, not a 'performs-alike'?  Still good.

And  M36 LOL?  Where do I get that, or have I already got it?  Jeez I need to wake up a bit, or stop playing with my real time kitties 😺.

15 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Yes please, I'm the world's number 1 Panther fan after some recent battles against my good friend @RMM

So it sounds like a 'look-alike' replacement, not a 'performs-alike'?  Still good.

And  M36 LOL?  Where do I get that, or have I already got it?  Jeez I need to wake up a bit, or stop playing with my real time kitties 😺.

Lmao yeah thats in CMFB, the M36 Jackson. It's a look-a-like. I'll PM you.

On 9/29/2022 at 3:44 PM, JM Stuff said:

For exemple (and probably a bad exemple) > Sherman from cmfb, m60 cmcw, halftrack from cmfb, a conversion of the btr 152  with for exemple a mix of a scout car ww2 and a halftrack, or whatever will be possible, we have already  all soviet "T" >34 to 80 so Egypt and more...are already safe, left and right pick up some vehicles, terrains and small arms, from AF, BN, FB, SF2, CW, BS RT,... , and we have a new (Un)pacific Theater in the Middle East, question is to using the correct CM for the engine and make the game realistic ?

JM, hi,

I would go for CMCW. Then with some of modding skills others have demonstrated I agree that a workable Yum Kippur War could be constructed🙂. Restricted on the equipment list but very workable. More of the equipment you need in CMCW than any other version.

I have only just noticed that work on the next module is already under way so for this outing lobbying is too late. But for next time 🙂.

All the best,

Kip. 

On 10/1/2022 at 8:40 AM, kipanderson said:

JM, hi,

I would go for CMCW. Then with some of modding skills others have demonstrated I agree that a workable Yum Kippur War could be constructed🙂. Restricted on the equipment list but very workable. More of the equipment you need in CMCW than any other version.

I have only just noticed that work on the next module is already under way so for this outing lobbying is too late. But for next time 🙂.

All the best,

Kip. 

Sorry @kipanderson I don't saw your reply, I was also thinking to use CMCW, but was not sure, I think is a little too early to trying to do something and have to wait to the next module for CW, I have the conviction that this will be the BAOR, and perhaps some Eastern and Western German vehicles and soldiers, for me, a logical way, if the war began in Germany...

However for eastern german troops they are similar as Soviets, with some particular vehicles, so I don't think that Eastern (DDR) German will be added, but why not Polen or Tchec or whatever from East added with, Us Airborne...

With the Brits, we would have a good arsenal and will be able to "starting" a new theatre of operation.

I would like to see the Centurion, Chieftain, Btr 40 152... and we are "ready to the middle East.😉

The Brits are a must with them  and the US materials, we can created differents others countries.

Well missing also the "sand guns" to cross the channel, but BFC have it, "already ready" in another module. 😆🥂

JM

Edited by JM Stuff

@JM Stuff BAOR makes sense, but I don't think that it will be with "Some Eastern and Western German Vehicles", because I assume there will be a dedicated "Germany Module", maybe called "Brothers War"?
I think this Germany Module will come before the BAOR module, because the game takes place in Germany and the German forces on both sides would be at the forefront of this war, and would need proper dedication. Especially the western German forces, as they do have a lot of unique equipment, while the eastern German forces used mostly the same equipment as the Soviet forces, just in a slightly different TO&E and version.

9 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

Sorry @kipanderson I don't saw your reply, I was also thinking to use CMCW, but was not sure, I think is a little too early to trying to do something and have to wait to the next module for CW, I have the conviction that this will be the BAOR, and perhaps some Eastern and Western German vehicles and soldiers, for me, a logical way, if the war began in Germany...

However for eastern german troops they are similar as Soviets, with some particular vehicles, so I don't think that Eastern (DDR) German will be added, but why not Polen or Tchec or whatever from East added with, Us Airborne...

With the Brits, we would have a good arsenal and will be able to "starting" a new theatre of operation.

I would like to see the Centurion, Chieftain, Btr 40 152... and we are "ready to the middle East.😉

The Brits are a must with them  and the US materials, we can created differents others countries.

Well missing also the "sand guns" to cross the channel, but BFC have it, "already ready" in another module. 😆🥂

JM

The only Centurions still in British service in the time covered by the game, were operated by Royal Artillery Forward Observers, and known as Centurion OPRA.  By 1980 there were only a handfull still in service.

Edited by Field Oggy

49 minutes ago, Field Oggy said:

The only Centurions still in British service in the time covered by the game, were operated by Royal Artillery Forward Observers, and known as Centurion OPRA.  By 1980 there were only a handfull still in service.

Ah ok thanks to this infos, so, we have to choose another vehicle, the Chieftain perhaps, and this one will be also valid to the Middle East area, if not we can dress in like a Centurion this one will have "approximately" the "same property".

JM