A Word on Follow-on Modules

2 hours ago, Megalon Jones said:

I'm still trying to figure out the whole 'sandbox' nature of this module.  I've got a feeling things are going to be a bit different than other CM titles.

The sandbox element just means that the game itself is not bound to a specific narrative. The campaigns share a common back story, but a lot of the scenarios have their own background. 

In reality, a Cold War gone hot war would have only lasted on the order of months, not years. Instead of limiting the scope of the game to, say, March-July 1979, it instead covers 79-82. But it does not assume a war would last that long. It allows the player to choose what year they want to set up a scenario in and go for it. Plus, it allows the player to compare how the same scenario changes when newer (or older) equipment is used instead. 

8 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

The sandbox element just means that the game itself is not bound to a specific narrative. The campaigns share a common back story, but a lot of the scenarios have their own background. 

In reality, a Cold War gone hot war would have only lasted on the order of months, not years. Instead of limiting the scope of the game to, say, March-July 1979, it instead covers 79-82. But it does not assume a war would last that long. It allows the player to choose what year they want to set up a scenario in and go for it. Plus, it allows the player to compare how the same scenario changes when newer (or older) equipment is used instead. 

Understood.  Hope I didn't start a rumor that haunts you guys going forward.

On a second thought, I don't think, that there will come so many modules.

This was never the strategy of BFC.

We don't have one big ww2-game with many modules.

We have several ww2-games with a few modules.

I think it will be the same here....maybe a Central-Europe-Nato-Module (west-germany, Netherland etc), a warsaw-pact-modul (VDV, East-Germany, Poles) and the british army.

But the door is open:

- New games are then cheap possible (because many assets the available): Afghanistan (Juhuu), Falkland and other stuff...

Edited by waffelmann
There is always something to correct...

So happy to see this game is finally happening! I have wanted a CM game set in Cold War Germany for a long time. As far dlc we have to get west and east Germany and the brits as well. Maybe Poland too? Also what about extending the time frame? I would love to see leopard 2s and Russian tanks covered in era but maybe I’m getting carried away. 

hey Forgottnsoldier, I'm wondering what would look different w east germans & poles relative to soviets -- isn't it all the same gear?  How do you see CMCW looking different w E germans? 

I understand west germans, brits, etc because they all have different gear. 

Sequoia - Regarding the M47 Pattons, I believe that none were in service by 1979, though I don't have any sources on this. It appears that the 90mm guns from the decommissioned M47's were used to arm the 90mm Kanonenjagdpanzer tank destroyers. Those would still be around in 1979, but they were becoming obsolete going up against T-64's and T-72's.

3 hours ago, Sequoia said:

Anyone know if the West Germans were still using the M-47 in some units in 1979?

book Typenkompass, Panzer der Bundeswehr, seit 1956 - by mr. Anweiler and Pahlkotter. Freely translated by me: The mKPz M 47 were gradually replaced by the M 48 from 1958 onward. In the middle of the 60's the last were phased out.

12 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

VW Type 183 Iltis

Yes, the Iltis became the new standardised jeep of the Bundeswehr in 1978, which replaced the DKW Munga and the VW Typ 181 Kurierwagen. But I don´t know if the Munga was still in service in 1979, the Kurierwagen was definitely still in service in the early 80s.
The Munga had many problems which never got fully fixed, the Iltis was the the replacement for the Munga, but wasn´t developed yet, when needed, so the Kurierwagen was the Ad-Hoc solution until the Iltis was ready.
1280px-Volkswagen_181_Kurierwagen_(2).jp
M%C3%A4rker8.jpg

Edited by Dr.Fusselpulli

Speaking of the number of possible future modules: I agree that we cannot expect way more modules than was the norm before, but I think that 2-3 modules are a reasonable expectation.

After all, they decided to name the game Combat Mission: Cold War and not Combat Mission: Fulda Gap for a reason! 😉

P.S. For the M47 aficionados: this tank was still in service with the Italian Army in the timeframe of CMCW, so if a southern front module will ever come to life... (no, I do not really think it will).

West/East Germany and the Brits for me. Winter terrain and weather would also be a neat addition.

A lot of folk make a good point about the Warsaw Pact, they all shared Soviet materiel and doctrine so visibly there wouldn't be too much of a difference.

A stretch for one I'd like to see would be the Arctic regions. The Soviets planned to push deep into Scandinavia and Iceland to cut off the Iceland/Greenland/Norway blockade for their navy and as in Red Storm Rising use as forward airbases for Badger and Bear attacks on NATO convoys and installations. Could be an interesting what-if area to play around in, heavily forested and hilly with the wintery conditions making it a slog. A more modern Fortress Italy module in essence :)

I got to drive some first CF Iltis vehicles back in the 80s. Fun vehicle! The previous jeep (was actually a jeep) had all kinds of restrictions because it had a habit of rolling over (partly not a good vehicle and party gung how 20 somethings bombing around). The Iltis was fun to drive. It was small but agile we got to do some great off roading thanks to a farmer outside of Kingston. I went looking for a picture and found that you can still buy one surplus:

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20171004/find-of-the-week-1985-bombardier-iltis/

OK that was 2017 so "still" might be optimistic :D

6 hours ago, Amedeo said:

Speaking of the number of possible future modules: I agree that we cannot expect way more modules than was the norm before, but I think that 2-3 modules are a reasonable expectation.

After all, they decided to name the game Combat Mission: Cold War and not Combat Mission: Fulda Gap for a reason! 😉

P.S. For the M47 aficionados: this tank was still in service with the Italian Army in the timeframe of CMCW, so if a southern front module will ever come to life... (no, I do not really think it will).

That's interesting about the Italian M47s but I think you're right, we won't see a southern front.

Poland, Czech and Hungary should be included in the new module. Not only the Soviet weapon was used, but also its local modifications as well as completely own designs. E.g
Polish modification of the T-55

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-55AM_Merida
Polish armored personnel carrier SKOT, much better than the BTR

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKOT
Hungarian FUG

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/FUG

and PSzH-IV

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSzH-IV
Czech rifle vz 58, which had nothing to do with Kalashnikov.

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karabin_Sa_vz._58