Engine 5 Wishlist

1 hour ago, Thewood1 said:

2008 called and wants its wishlist back.

Exactly, we keep getting reskinned and reorganized content but can't get features that have been wanted for what, closing in on 15 years?

Edit: Before everybody goes crazy, I know new units have been added. I know the dev team is small. I also know that if this game wasn't so niche it would've died a long time ago. 

Edited by purpheart23

8 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

There is no borg spotting unless you play on the easiest difficulty, called "Basic Training."

The units you see if you select nothing is borg spotting. To plot LOS and LOF on units another unit sees is borg spotting. Your definition of borg spotting is different than mine. I call borgspotting cheating against yourself. If you take shortcuts outside your command and control. The reason I play on Iron nothing to do with skill just more fun for me. On Elite you see all of your own units that is borg spotting on Iron you don't only if you deselect all than you do borgspotting. 

1. Variable WeGo / E-mail time span.
  It is troublesome to command a battalion-sized unit every minute.
  And, shorter turns increase long scenarios playability.

2. Using html browser(Edge, Chrome, etc) for Briefing.
  It is easy to display briefing translation, and good to use movies, sounds.

4 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Your definition of borg spotting is different than mine.

This is true... on this forum "borg spotting" refers to a CMx1 issue where, if one unit spotted an enemy, every single friendly unit on the battlefield also, instantly, spotted it.

This basically turned every CM army (including early war WW2 Soviet conscripts... where the tanks had flags rather than radios) into Elite US Thermal, optics & PDA equipped CMBS armies... twas a bit immersion wrecking.

What you are referring to is a centuries old wargaming issue (millenia old if we include things like Chess) where the player isn't actually a character "on the ground" but is instead some sort of "God of War" floating high above the battlefield & often totally ignoring the "free will" of his pixeltruppen. The consequences to a simulation of battle by the player being an amorphous, floating spirit with near perfect vision are FAR more severe than excessive area fire.

This issue can only really be resolved by a referee/gamesmaster (or, as you suggest, personal "house rules")... which maybe, one day, an AI,would be able to handle.

However that's probably more CMx5... rather than Engine 5 of CMx2.

Edited by 37mm

@37mm the extreme example is TRP's FO can sit anywhere and any scout team who spots an enemy unit near the TRP passes it on to you the 'God of War' who orders the FO who is on 'Hide' in the church to call out the artillery strike. At least when I play a single player scenario do it if the FO also has a contact icon. You can't do that if you play PBEM. The issue could be handled by no LOF pop up if there is no contact icon near the place you wish to plot area-fire. 

58 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

@37mm the extreme example is TRP's FO can sit anywhere and any scout team who spots an enemy unit near the TRP passes it on to you the 'God of War' who orders the FO who is on 'Hide' in the church to call out the artillery strike. At least when I play a single player scenario do it if the FO also has a contact icon. You can't do that if you play PBEM. The issue could be handled by no LOF pop up if there is no contact icon near the place you wish to plot area-fire. 

I agree this is an issue (although not that it is "borg spotting" as defined by this forum for decades) however this is why it can only really be resolved by an AI/umpire/referee/house rules.

How can the CM engine determine the difference between "legitimate" area fire (i.e... the location is blatantly suspicious & ANY plan of attack would call for that position to recieve area fire) or "illegitimate" (i.e... you, the "God of War", know something few on the simulated battlefield should know)?

Either way, considering BFC's military contract work, perhaps some improvements to the FOW will be a grantable wish (IIRC FOW is artificially reduced on a CM battlefield for "playability" reasons).

1 hour ago, 37mm said:

I agree this is an issue (although not that it is "borg spotting" as defined by this forum for decades) however this is why it can only really be resolved by an AI/umpire/referee/house rules.

How can the CM engine determine the difference between "legitimate" area fire (i.e... the location is blatantly suspicious & ANY plan of attack would call for that position to recieve area fire) or "illegitimate" (i.e... you, the "God of War", know something few on the simulated battlefield should know)?

Either way, considering BFC's military contract work, perhaps some improvements to the FOW will be a grantable wish (IIRC FOW is artificially reduced on a CM battlefield for "playability" reasons).

The term borg spotting in the instance of TRP's came from one of the senior members of The Few Good Men website. I agreed with him and use it myself now. The military seems to be only interested in ammunition expenditure during a game. This also came from The Few Good Men website. What is possible is to make contact icons invisible unless a unit is selected. What I say here comes from people I consider more knowledgeable than myself. 

1 hour ago, 37mm said:

I agree there might be a few rare cases like that. But what is obvious to us as players of this computer game, where we can pause time and fly around the battlefield to look at it from every angle, might not be obvious to troops on the ground. Even in some cases where we are cursing at the screen and saying "They would have to know".

Example: You're taking artillery fire and there's a big church tower overlooking the entire map. The enemy observer got to be up there. But wait. The game battlefield is only a couple of km big. In reality, the observer could well be on some hill or other church tower farther away. The only reason you know he has to be in that tower is because you know it's a game so nothing exists outside edge.

I still think it would be a good idea to have an optional mode to restrict player area fire so that it could only be against positions with an enemy contact marker.

22 hours ago, stikkypixie said:

The ability to make annotations on the map. Helps to create some order in the chaos

If these annotations could be also moved during later turns, it would be easy to make plans on big maps. This is useful if you play H2H against someone who might sometimes send file once a week.

5 hours ago, 37mm said:

What you are referring to is a centuries old wargaming issue (millenia old if we include things like Chess) where the player isn't actually a character "on the ground" but is instead some sort of "God of War" floating high above the battlefield & often totally ignoring the "free will" of his pixeltruppen. The consequences to a simulation of battle by the player being an amorphous, floating spirit with near perfect vision are FAR more severe than excessive area fire.

This issue can only really be resolved by a referee/gamesmaster (or, as you suggest, personal "house rules")... which maybe, one day, an AI,would be able to handle.

This is EXACTLY what @Bil Hardenberger's rules are designed to moderate.....IMHO they do a bloody good job of it too!  ;)

2 hours ago, Malaspina said:

- ability to acquire ammo from another (disabled) tank

In battle?  No way!  :o

You are seriously going to ask your crew to climb into a smouldering tank with several holes in it and then have them start messing around with the ammo stowage?

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

18 hours ago, Erwin said:

You will be happy to know that there are mods that adjust sound to what you like and also that create different % of transparency.

Tanks a Lot made a semi transparent trees mod for CMRT and Rocket Man did translucent trees for CMFI.  Not sure if they also work for other titles.  There are many sound mods to choose from.

Lol, you will be happy to know about the H&E mod (and Syrian Soundscape mod). 

We need a modification of the engine which would not be too difficult. Unless you click on one of your units you don't see any contact icons. You see only contacts generating to your units by the command-and-control network. I try to ignore icons which a unit is not supposed to see but it is not easy. If you don't enjoy the game us such by all means play on an easier setting. It is a little pointless playing on Iron if all you need to do is not select any units and you're back on Elite. 

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

In battle?  No way!  :o

You are seriously going to ask your crew to climb into a smouldering tank with several holes in it and then have them start messing around with the ammo stowage?

Yes, of course! And light up their pipes while they're at it ;)

No. but I did have a couple of instances where a tank exhausted its ammo pounding the enemy while another fellow tank with a disabled main gun just sat there in the back doing nothing. It would be cool to somehow be able to transfer that ammo to the fully operational vehicle (in safe conditions ;).

37 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Same size as a TRP maybe?

Works against a single target i guess...but what if you have 2, 3 enemy incons identified in a forrest for example spred further appart than the size of a TRP.

Now you would need to call in 3 seperate bombarments from 3 seperate assets to be able to target them all...as opposed to one larger bombadment. 

Not ideal...

13 hours ago, purpheart23 said:

Exactly, we keep getting reskinned and reorganized content but can't get features that have been wanted for what, closing in on 15 years?

Edit: Before everybody goes crazy, I know new units have been added. I know the dev team is small. I also know that if this game wasn't so niche it would've died a long time ago. 

Could be that items on our lists are not in keeping with the game's design (as decided by Steve not us), not appropriate for the CM time or battle scale or are not easy or possible with the current engine (which means we have to accept that and or wait for some long from now future new game). By all means keep contributing your ideas to these periodic and fun wish list scenarios but please spare us the sanctimony.

Some examples:

The request for command delays is something that Steve has put the kibosh on -  Interestingly he actually likes the idea but has yet to find a way to implement them that fits with the CM design decision that you play the roll, at various times, of every battle field commander.

The request for fixing the area targeting of buildings - There are several threads linked in the FAQ but this explanation from Steve is, well all the words you need https://community.battlefront.com/topic/111851-its-got-to-go/page/2/#comment-1490888

4 hours ago, Malaspina said:

Back to the topic:

- ability to swap crews between vehicles, tanks especially

Steve has commented on that in the past, since this was no normal practice during a battle he has no desire to add it to the game.

- ability to acquire ammo from another (disabled) tank

Way outside the scope of the game. Yes, including that tank with the damaged gun way back in the safe area. Normally a tank that is not capabile of fighting would withdraw for repairs / replacement not hang around as a reserve ammo supply depot.

- ability to (re)man guns after they've been abandoned by the same or another crew

Currently abandoned guns are considered to have been damaged by the crews before abandonment. I agree that being able to temporarily have a crew leave a gun and come back would not a nice add though. So, maybe this one doesn't quite fit as an example from above.