Pre-orders for Fire and Rubble are now open!!

BFCElvis

4 minutes ago, Placebo said:

T34/85 1st, Sherman 76 2nd and panther down to 3rd place.

Sherman 76 comes also in 2 variants. Easy 8 is for me No1. It is more integrated in the C2 structure or the decision-making process on a tactical level. But that's the purpose of this forum to respectfully disagree. The Russian 85 mm has I imagine a better HE round this is offset if the Sherman HQ unit has a Priest to back his formation up. In Korea the Easy 8-76 mm was effective as an T34/85 killer. 

I was afraid of this situation from the start. After all the delay over the past years, we're now in the so-called pre-order phase which can be dragged on for months and months, like RtV. This module has been so badly handled that nothing surprises me anymore. Most people moved on to Cold War. While still a month away, there's at least a release date for that.

6 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I was afraid of this situation from the start.

Yes, and in 'Cold War' they demonstrate the game. Battle for Normandy as an example has the Road to Nijmegen module which is buggy you can't really complete the campaign fair and square. Heuman Lock Bridge among a few others. I am afraid the way they handle this module it will have its fair share of bugs too. Kudos to @Bil Hardenberger to demonstrate the game Cold War to us. It sets a new standard. 

1 minute ago, chuckdyke said:

Yes, and in 'Cold War' they demonstrate the game. Battle for Normandy as an example has the Road to Nijmegen module which is buggy you can't really complete the campaign fair and square. Heuman Lock Bridge among a few others. I am afraid the way they handle this module it will have its fair share of bugs too. Kudos to @Bil Hardenberger to demonstrate the game Cold War to us. It sets a new standard. 

Absolutely. Much can be learned from the Cold War team by the FR team. Although I suspect the latter is as frustrated about the whole shambles as I am.

31 minutes ago, Bufo said:

I have to admit I am waiting on Cold War far more than this module, but I am always open to killing some Wehraboos 😁

Cold War sounds really great, but RT was my number one game for so long. I love playing the glorious Soviets - this module will breath fresh life into it bigly.

27 minutes ago, Freyberg said:

but RT was my number one game for so long.

Yes, with WW 2 you play real scenarios and I like it better than playing hypothetical scenarios. Playing either Soviets or Germans in WW 2 they had good people in both armies. Alexei Alexbaiov was my uncle by marriage. He couldn't return to his country even for a holiday. His sin he was once a POW.  

1 hour ago, chuckdyke said:

Yes, with WW 2 you play real scenarios and I like it better than playing hypothetical scenarios. Playing either Soviets or Germans in WW 2 they had good people in both armies. Alexei Alexbaiov was my uncle by marriage. He couldn't return to his country even for a holiday. His sin he was once a POW.  

In all the CM games you play hypothetical scenarios. The terrain is not exactly the same, the troops are not the same, nothing in the same as it happened. It might be similiar. And also what the troops do are not what they did in real life. You still playing hypothetical because how you direct the troops is not what happened. If you imagine you are playing a real battle that happened is like believing in Santa Claus.

The only place where you play real scenarios are when you watch a documentary where everything is how it was.

1 hour ago, Bufo said:

The only place where you play real scenarios are when you watch a documentary where everything is how it was.

It is up to you. You can research, find maps. See what could have happened. The purpose of wargaming is to produce a theoretical model. We know the outcome of Market Garden and we know the outcome of the Battle for Normandy campaign. With SF2, BS and now CW we have hypothetical situations. The sky is the limit as far as theoretical outcomes. We now know that both sides planned nuclear retaliations in case of an invasion by the other. The game as we get it is a very unlikely scenario but will be good entertainment, nevertheless. Like having the hypothetical situation on D-Day 6th June 1944. The beaches saturated by biological or chemical agents. The Germans had the means and wiped out 6 million people on an industrial scale by 1945. 

58 minutes ago, Bufo said:

In all the CM games you play hypothetical scenarios. The terrain is not exactly the same, the troops are not the same, nothing in the same as it happened. It might be similiar. And also what the troops do are not what they did in real life. You still playing hypothetical because how you direct the troops is not what happened. If you imagine you are playing a real battle that happened is like believing in Santa Claus.

You are correct in that the scenarios and campaigns in CM are essentially hypothetical.

They are, however, and no matter how loosely, based on real and factual events. Such events can be studied in great detail through a huge amount of written material, placing those hypothetical scenarios into the reality of history.

The cold war battles, as per the CM title, didn't happen. Anything that is available to read about them is hypothetical. There is no historical reality backing them up and, therefore, they are essentially science fiction.

Yes, they might have happened as might a lot of things; perhaps space lobsters of doom!

I'm not knocking the Cold War battles; I know a lot of folk really like the subject and to each their own. But, for me at least, they are not on a par with battles based on historical reality. 

And, documentaries tend to display the 'truth' that the documentary makers want to be displayed.

9 minutes ago, James Crowley said:

You are correct in that the scenarios and campaigns in CM are essentially hypothetical.

They are, however, and no matter how loosely, based on real and factual events. Such events can be studied in great detail through a huge amount of written material, placing those hypothetical scenarios into the reality of history.

The cold war battles, as per the CM title, didn't happen. Anything that is available to read about them is hypothetical. There is no historical reality backing them up and, therefore, they are essentially science fiction.

Yes, they might have happened as might a lot of things; perhaps space lobsters of doom!

I'm not knocking the Cold War battles; I know a lot of folk really like the subject and to each their own. But, for me at least, they are not on a par with battles based on historical reality. 

These games are all simulations created for entertainment value (with the exception of any work being done for defense departments for training purposes).  To that end, it really comes down to personal preference.  I prefer wargames that happened, could have happened and may yet happen.  That's what wargaming is all about in my humble, but correct, opinion. 😊  As long as its a fun wargame and makes you think, I pretty much like it.  That is also why I haven't found a WWI historical wargame that I like.  I'm sure they are out there, but attrition is just not very fun, again in my opinion.

What gets me is that my son just loves Hearts of Iron.  I just don't get why.  It seems like it is nothing but politics and logistics. 🤮 To each his own I suppose.

8 hours ago, Freyberg said:

Cold War sounds really great, but RT was my number one game for so long. I love playing the glorious Soviets - this module will breath fresh life into it bigly.

seeing this reminds me I've never played as Italians, syrians, or russians-CMBS.  But I certainly have had great fun playing all the other factions, including germans.  Playing as soviets in RT was an unexpected treat, I didn't realize it would be as good as it was.  I want this module, but I want it right more that I want it now -- imagine a long campaign for central Berlin and the final bridge is buggy in the last battle.