Pre-orders for Fire and Rubble are now open!!

BFCElvis

3 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

@Lethaface we make our judgements in regards which tank came closest to the MBT concept of postwar Europe. 3 tanks shined in that regards during WW 2. The German Panther, The T34/85 and the Sherman Easy Eight with the 76 mm Gun.

The unreliability and complexity of the Panther wouldn't make it my choice out of those three. I would probably go for the T-34/85. The number of runners in Panther units only reached an acceptable level in the last year of the war.

Edited by Aragorn2002

21 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

The unreliability and complexity of the Panther wouldn't make it my choice out of those three. I would probably go for the T-34/85. The number of runners in Panther units only reached an acceptable level in the last year of the war.

I would go with the Easy 8 Sherman came to that conclusion after visiting the Korean war Museum in Seoul. It performed better than the Pershing in many aspects and the US crews had better training than the North Koreans in the T34/85. You're correct with the Panther it was rushed but that didn't make it a bad tank. Tanks nowadays are MBT's mostly. These 3 tanks came close to that concept. I like always to play British or German whether it is WW 2 or Shockforce. The reason I wait with Cold War till they expand it. I would suggest the North German plain is more strategic. The Hansa League cities went from Antwerp all the way to Gdansk. Gdansk started the 2nd World War and there began the first stage of failure for the Soviet Union. In the Netherlands Delfzijl, Emden, and Hamburg. There is where the British ended World War 2. it stopped the Soviets moving into Jutland. For the Cold War it would make an excellent scenario. 

Edited by chuckdyke

6 hours ago, Probus said:

88mm FLAK

As an experiment to see how long setup was for the 88 Flak (and just to play with it) I just tried to set up a QB with it.  After some searching I found them in the Heavy Flak units of the Armored Infantry, and impressive they are. 

They do however seem to set up fully deployed and 'static' with no limbering option?  If so, there is no need for the Sdkfz 7 to tow it 😉.

Edited by Vacilllator

18 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

They do however seem to set up fully deployed and 'static' with no limbering option?  If so, there is no need for the Sdkfz 7 to tow it 😉.

Yeah... I knew that.  That was why I wanted a Sdkfz 7.  So we could limber an 88mm.  So the 88mm models would have to be updated also to allow limbering.

On 3/8/2021 at 7:36 PM, Lethaface said:

Yes but any improvement after the fact doesn't really have validity in discounting what was the best tank of WW2. 

On 3/9/2021 at 4:30 AM, Lethaface said:

Anyway, just thought that your mention of the performance during the Sinai conflict wasn't relevant for that argument 😉 

On 3/8/2021 at 7:08 PM, chuckdyke said:

That a tank is good in a PC game doesn't mean it is good in real life. JS III in the Sinai vs Israeli Shermans in 1956. Guess which tank came out on top it was not the JS III. Both tanks were an improvement on the WW II counterparts.

That wasn't even what he was saying. He was off on a tangent. Tanks are not exactly as they are in video games.

Hello?

Anyways I would have easily said the panther tank for #1. That giant aspect ratio high velocity gun. That was the tank to do it.

As for the IS-2... it's trash. Lackluster armor, and as said - a field gun on tracks. What's the point of having a turret? You really think the 122mm is going to penetrate anything that moves? Lmao. There's a reason the soviets threw the 100mm on their mbts.... I can't wait for the SU-100 holy crap. That mofo is gonna punch a hole right through both sides of a panther..

Edited by Artkin

Our friend is often off on a tangent 😁 but that isn't a criticism.

Well yes, I do like a Panther.  But,

IS2 is not an easy opponent  - a cautious approach is required 😉.

The SU-100 is of course something to be very cautious of 😮.

Edited by Vacilllator

36 minutes ago, Artkin said:

That wasn't even what he was saying. He was off on a tangent. Tanks are not exactly as they are in video games.

Hello?

Anyways I would have easily said the panther tank for #1. That giant aspect ratio high velocity gun. That was the tank to do it.

As for the IS-2... it's trash. Lackluster armor, and as said - a field gun on tracks. What's the point of having a turret? You really think the 122mm is going to penetrate anything that moves? Lmao. There's a reason the soviets threw the 100mm on their mbts.... I can't wait for the SU-100 holy crap. That mofo is gonna punch a hole right through both sides of a panther..

Um... Trash? Really?

21 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

Our friend is often off on a tangent 😁 but that isn't a criticism.

Well yes, I do like a Panther.  But,

IS2 is not an easy opponent  - a cautious approach is required 😉.

The SU-100 is of course something to be very cautious of 😮.

Agreed. ;)

I was talking smack about how bad azz the german armor is around here but that will change once F&R is out. Lol. Everything that doesnt have 150mm+ is getting penetrated.

14 minutes ago, Anonymous_Jonze said:

Um... Trash? Really?

It's trash bro, throw it out. It's a 46 ton heavy tank that fails to medium tanks, its armor isnt anything special on top of having an over complicated glacias. It carries 28 rounds of low velocity ammunition that depends more on M than V to destroy its targets. The reload time is god awful. I'm really not a fan. The panther is 43 tons, has similar armor arranged in a significantly simpler design... it carries 80 rounds of ammunition fired from a similar performing gun (in regards to penetration capability within 1500m). Panther is way faster in every regard. The IS-2 is just bad. Still gonna play with it though. :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, Artkin said:

It's trash bro, throw it out. It's a 46 ton heavy tank that fails to medium tanks, its armor isnt anything special on top of having an over complicated glacias. It carries 28 rounds of low velocity ammunition that depends more on M than V to destroy its targets. The reload time is god awful. I'm really not a fan. The panther is 43 tons, has similar armor arranged in a significantly simpler design... it carries 80 rounds of ammunition fired from a similar performing gun (in regards to penetration capability within 1500m). Panther is way faster in every regard. The IS-2 is just bad. Still gonna play with it though. :rolleyes:

Ha. Yes the gun reload is pretty slow. Guess I'm still reeling from my King Tiger platoon getting knocked out by them.

“best combination of fire power , mobility and armor”. That is the holy trinity of tank design, however for world war 2 I think you have to add ease of manufacture and complexity of the design/reliability.  For me the Panther 1 on 1 with any other tank probably comes out on top but add in the the time it took to manufacture and that it was a complex machine prone to breakdowns then it’s T34/85 1st, Sherman 76 2nd and panther down to 3rd place.

Edited by Placebo