The year to come - 2024 (Part 2)

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I guess the next stage depends what the BF company vision is.  Spent a bit of time reading the Steam reviews (good to see BF games on there assuming commercials are favorable for BF these days, recall a thread years ago that they were not in the past). A lot of the Steam reviews predictably complain about the UI and graphical quality. As a CM fan since CM1 my opinion is these players don't appreciate the attention to detail and the finer points of the simulation that you just don't get in many war games, pretty looking point and click WW2 RTS games are just a waste of time IMO.  Its true the CMx2 engine is not great and could do with a replacement or some efficiency tweaks at least(for example I purchased a £6000 4090 rig, all the latest components, 5120x1440 monitor and was stunned to see rendering issues at all even on Balanced settings). But BF is a small development team I recall and if we want to keep seeing the products we know and love then it needs to use its time in a profitable manner first to fund future R&D.  Also , you want a motivated team that enjoy their work when possible. Reading the posts from the admins over the years I believe this is what they do. Its unlikely we will see steam review appeasing projects, more likely it will be doing things they enjoy doing and I am looking forward to the output as always. Scott.

Edited by scottie

10 hours ago, scottie said:

As a CM fan since CM1 my opinion is these players don't appreciate the attention to detail and the finer points of the simulation that you just don't get in many war games, pretty looking point and click WW2 RTS games are just a waste of time IMO

Amen!

11 hours ago, scottie said:

I purchased a £6000 4090 rig

Wow!  I'm running on a £1500 4060 laptop.  It's okay 😉.

I agree with what you say.  But even with what we have right now there's nothing better IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2024 at 6:57 AM, weapon2010 said:

So the switch to CM2 ,BF through us a curve ball and went modern and no one expected that, so the switch to CM3 will be the same pattern? but maybe to a WW1 or Civil War setting ? I doubt it myself from a $ perspective , but these gents are unpredictable, remember one of the main reasons for the modern switch was to "re-charge their batteries".

Exactly this is why I have been praying to the Almighty for a 1940-43 series to have the series go full circle.  Hell, I might have wanted to sacrifice a pinky and conduct a rain dance to make this happen.  LOL still my heart is content with what they have but you know us die-hards from the initial series CMx1 and Barbarossa to Berlin was tip top as was CMAK in my opinion.

15 hours ago, GhostRider3/3 said:

Exactly this is why I have been praying to the Almighty for a 1940-43 series to have the series go full circle.

I'd include 1939 in that range. There's something about the near-peer combat in Poland that sets it apart from the peer vs peer fighting in France. I also just want to see the Polish in action with their own uniforms and equipment, before the loss of their country forced them into a Commonwealth force structure.

On 5/16/2024 at 7:52 AM, GhostRider3/3 said:

Exactly this is why I have been praying to the Almighty for a 1940-43 series to have the series go full circle.  Hell, I might have wanted to sacrifice a pinky and conduct a rain dance to make this happen.  LOL still my heart is content with what they have but you know us die-hards from the initial series CMx1 and Barbarossa to Berlin was tip top as was CMAK in my opinion.

While I strongly support - and share - your wishes, based on BFC previous communications, I'm afraid you will need a lot more than to simply "sacrifice a pinky and conduct a rain dance" for this to happen... 😎

Edited by PEB14

@Centurian52

Maybe your dream will soon be realised. The Fallweiss 39 mod for CMFI is being developed. There are a lot of armoured cars in this game, whose parameters are very similar to those of tanks from the early period of the war. German and Italian infantry are also well suited to the period.
Of course, the 3D models of the armoured cars will be converted into corresponding tank models. Some of them are created from scratch.

12 hours ago, Suchy said:

@Centurian52

Maybe your dream will soon be realised. The Fallweiss 39 mod for CMFI is being developed. There are a lot of armoured cars in this game, whose parameters are very similar to those of tanks from the early period of the war. German and Italian infantry are also well suited to the period.
Of course, the 3D models of the armoured cars will be converted into corresponding tank models. Some of them are created from scratch.

I'm not so sure. I'm too much of a stickler for technical accuracy to be terribly interested in most of these sorts of mods. 

I'll likely make an exception if anyone wants to make an Argentinian Army mod for the Canadian infantry in CMCW once BAOR is released, which would enable some Falklands War scenarios. But I'm willing to make an exception there because Canadian infantry are such a near-perfect match for Argentinian infantry. Both use ten man squads with FAL-based service rifles supported by 2 FAL-based automatic rifles. There is a slight difference in that the Canadian squad (or section) is organized, just as it was in WW2, into a 7-man rifle group (which includes the section leader) and a 3-man gun group, with both of the C2 automatic rifles in the gun group. The Argentinian squad is organized into 2 asymmetric fireteams, one 4-man team and one 5-man team with one FM FAP automatic rifle on each team, plus the squad leader. That shouldn't be a problem so long as no one splits their "Argentinian" squads. The overall firepower of a Canadian section should be identical to the overall firepower of an Argentinian squad. No mod is necessary for the British forces for Falklands War scenarios, since they're already British forces.

Edited by Centurian52

7 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

if anyone wants to make an Argentinian Army mod for the Canadian infantry in CMCW once BAOR is released

I laughed and thought, "He's joking". Kinda sounds like a Monty Python skit.  

And then I realized, "He's serious!".

I'm not sure which one was funniest! 🤣

37 minutes ago, Probus said:

I laughed and thought, "He's joking". Kinda sounds like a Monty Python skit.  

And then I realized, "He's serious!".

I'm not sure which one was funniest! 🤣

Hmm, I'm guessing that the Canadian infantry in 1982 may not be such a close match for Argentinian 1982 infantry as my extremely limited research lead me to believe? I only succeeded in getting infor for the Argentinians at squad level. And they certainly seem very close at the squad level. But perhaps they diverge more at the platoon and company level?

4 hours ago, Centurian52 said:

I'm not so sure. I'm too much of a stickler for technical accuracy to be terribly interested in most of these sorts of mods. 

I'll likely make an exception if anyone wants to make an Argentinian Army mod for the Canadian infantry in CMCW once BAOR is released, which would enable some Falklands War scenarios. But I'm willing to make an exception there because Canadian infantry are such a near-perfect match for Argentinian infantry. Both use ten man squads with FAL-based service rifles supported by 2 FAL-based automatic rifles. There is a slight difference in that the Canadian squad (or section) is organized, just as it was in WW2, into a 7-man rifle group (which includes the section leader) and a 3-man gun group, with both of the C2 automatic rifles in the gun group. The Argentinian squad is organized into 2 asymmetric fireteams, one 4-man team and one 5-man team with one FM FAP automatic rifle on each team, plus the squad leader. That shouldn't be a problem so long as no one splits their "Argentinian" squads. The overall firepower of a Canadian section should be identical to the overall firepower of an Argentinian squad. No mod is necessary for the British forces for Falklands War scenarios, since they're already British forces.

This is 100% on my modding radar once BOAR releases...all told it should be pretty easy to put together.