Exciting news about Battlefront and Slitherine

5 minutes ago, rocketman said:

I think BFC should make a cool video like the one before GL release. On Steam, the first thing shown on a product page is usually a video and first impressions are really important. If it is immersive and appealing, maybe more people are prepared to learn the complexity of the game as they understand the nuances of gameplay.

I never watch promo videos, only gameplay ones as the former are pretty useless in my opinion, they don't tell anything about the game.

6 minutes ago, Hister said:

Demo updated to the latest game engine should have been posted too. That way people should have no excuse to complain if the product is not up their tastes. 

Doesn't matter so much on Steam, where there's a general 2-hour refund option. The game itself is the demo.

Edited by Bulletpoint

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

Doesn't matter so much on Steam, where there's a general 2-hour refund option. The game itself is the demo.

I know steam has a time limit on refunds but its longer than 2 hours. I've gotten refunds and it was way longer than 2 hours-I think its 2 weeks.

10 minutes ago, db_zero said:

I know steam has a time limit on refunds but its longer than 2 hours. I've gotten refunds and it was way longer than 2 hours-I think its 2 weeks.

"The Steam refund offer, within two weeks of purchase and with less than two hours of playtime, applies to games and software applications on the Steam store."

https://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

4 hours ago, rocketman said:

Will the release date of Aug 25th mean that we will have the updated British campaign before that?

I think BFC should make a cool video like the one before GL release. On Steam, the first thing shown on a product page is usually a video and first impressions are really important. If it is immersive and appealing, maybe more people are prepared to learn the complexity of the game as they understand the nuances of gameplay.

Their should be plenty of content from players/youtubers etc. Agree that a nice movie showing the gameplay would help a lot with regards to immersion.

2 hours ago, db_zero said:

There are two limits. Owning the game for less than 2 weeks, and actively playing it for less than 2 hours.

3 hours ago, akd said:

2 hours would be a terrible way to demo a complex game like CM.

Sure, but enough for people to see how well it runs on their computer, how the user interface is, and how the graphics look. 

I personally got a refund for a Graviteam game once, even though I picked it up at a major discount, simply because I couldn't stand the interface, gameplay, and graphics. I realised that in less than 2 hours. Later returned to the game series once they fixed or improved some of those things.

Edited by Bulletpoint

6 hours ago, rocketman said:

Do you mean this one?

17 minutes ago, umlaut said:

Do you mean this one?

Yup! The perfect showcase for what kind of situations the game series can produce. And the turn based intensity. Remember when I saw it and truly understood the cinematic capability of the game. Always wondered why more were not made to launch other titles/modules.

It was for FI and not GL as I states above.

Edited by rocketman

Converting your Combat Mission library to Steam would make updates an automatic process. I've taken my old Civilization CD games and others and converted them to my steam library account. Its similar to taking your music CD's and adding them to your iTunes account.

13 hours ago, sttp said:

This is my single biggest wish. It really is time for the next iteration of the CM engine, in my opinion, but the extra Steam sales and the new, wider audience could buy BFC the time to make CMx3 more robust and reliable than it might have otherwise been. I will trade wait time for engine quality any day.

Yes, and this is where the biggest complaints are going to be on the user reviews on Steam.  Gamers have come to expect modern graphics, and the CM games aren't it.  I've heard all the arguments why..no need to rehash it here again.  I think this is a big reason why I can't justify the price these days, and the same reason I don't play Falcon BMS much...it's a turd when compared to DCS, even if the dynamic campaign is light years ahead of any content in DCS.  In any event, more cash, better game engine, we'll all be happy.

16 minutes ago, aleader said:

Yes, and this is where the biggest complaints are going to be on the user reviews on Steam.  Gamers have come to expect modern graphics, and the CM games aren't it.  I've heard all the arguments why..no need to rehash it here again.  I think this is a big reason why I can't justify the price these days, and the same reason I don't play Falcon BMS much...it's a turd when compared to DCS, even if the dynamic campaign is light years ahead of any content in DCS.  In any event, more cash, better game engine, we'll all be happy.

Anything goes. Check the weekly new game releases and you will find simple 16bit games that have surprisingly overwhelmingly positive reviews. I don't get it myself but its like ImDB reviews: the haters score 1 and the caterer's assistant writes a review at 10. Doesn't mean anything.

Honestly people are panicking way too much over Steam reviews. To the point that I actually question whether people commenting actually use the platform. Here are some reviews for "serious wargames" many of which look significantly worse than CM. Some of these are literally chits on a map.

Command Ops 2: Very Positive
Graviteam Tactics: Very Positive
Flashpoint Campaigns: Very Positive
Armored Brigade:  Very Positive
War in the East: Very Positive
War in the West: Very Positive
Decisive Campaigns: Very Positive
Command (CMO/CMNO): Very Positive
Scourge of War: Very Positive
Take Command: Positive

Yeah when you read other forums, you see that the biggest gripes other people seem to have about CM have very little to do with graphics, it is usually either 1/ the DRM and activation system, 2/ the pricing and 3/ people butthurt and salty about their interaction on the battlefront forum with Steve. Steam integration should take care of the first two.

And even if the reviews are not stellar, it still means thousands of potential new customers.