Exciting news about Battlefront and Slitherine

On 8/5/2020 at 11:33 PM, com-intern said:

Honestly people are panicking way too much over Steam reviews. To the point that I actually question whether people commenting actually use the platform. Here are some reviews for "serious wargames" many of which look significantly worse than CM. Some of these are literally chits on a map.

Command Ops 2: Very Positive
Graviteam Tactics: Very Positive
Flashpoint Campaigns: Very Positive
Armored Brigade:  Very Positive
War in the East: Very Positive
War in the West: Very Positive
Decisive Campaigns: Very Positive
Command (CMO/CMNO): Very Positive
Scourge of War: Very Positive
Take Command: Positive

Good point.

On 8/6/2020 at 2:25 AM, Hister said:

Seen people from other forums see CM crowd as an elitist, closed, militarist, uber pro usa bunch of guys who get hostile easily when someone says something that most often then not triggers them. Something down that line. 

Uber pro usa? How dare they! 

17 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Feel free to bash me later if I'm wrong, but I don't think that will happen. I think the kind of players who will be attracted to this game will usually be the kind of people who are interested in history and realism, and who are intelligent enough to realise that they might be doing mistakes if things don't work out the way they hoped for.

No way man no desire for bashing. I hope you are spot on, I hope my concern doesn't come to pass. I am excited to see how well this works.

20 hours ago, com-intern said:

Any thoughts on Steam Workshop integration?

The heavily limited "modding" capabilities of CM make it an almost perfect candidate. Command Ops 2 and Armored Brigade are using the workshop to great effect and make it simple to download new scenarios.

It's pretty trivial to have a Steam Workshop that just downloads files to a particular part of the install folder, which is all that Combat Mission needs.  

I would bet the game will eat a few negative reviews (not the majority) for entirely legitimate reasons.  In 2020 it's been unacceptable to require players to read a manual to understand how the game works for about 20 years.  Before you 'yes but' me on this consider that there will be people with jobs buying games on steam who were not yet born when the mainstream games industry abandoned this approach.  That's how out of pace the grognard niche is.  I think the other big one will be performance.  CM just doesn't run well, particularly when lined up against it's closest comparator Graviteam Tactics.  

e: I think the graphics themselves actually stand up pretty well and it's hard to reasonably ask for more (except maybe weather effects etc).   Framerates will raise eyebrows though.

Edited by Alchenar

I miss the algorithms actually published by SSI circa '82.

At least the CM Engine Manual provides a little more detail... to each his own.

It's tedious trying to post non-trivial faults when, for example, no one has any idea how an 'Evade' is intended to function. It took three years to essentially revert back to pre-4.0 behavior.

Anyhow, Battlefront seems to know what they are about as few developers have been in the same market for 20+ years.

3 hours ago, Alchenar said:

In 2020 it's been unacceptable to require players to read a manual to understand how the game works for about 20 years.  Before you 'yes but' me on this consider that there will be people with jobs buying games on steam who were not yet born when the mainstream games industry abandoned this approach. 

Youtube is a big resource for new players of games. How to play videos are popular and examples of gameplay.

The CMx2 series has a large number of videos including Bill Hardinger's excellent tactics series. It's a big plus for the CMx2 games appearing on Steam which new games don't initially have. 

3 hours ago, Alchenar said:

In 2020 it's been unacceptable to require players to read a manual to understand how the game works for about 20 years.

As if having another birthday this week wasn't enough, you have reminded me again of my advancing years - I actually like having manuals for these games 😉.  Having said that, I come here if I want answers to a lot of questions which come up.

Oh, and I played the demo for my first CM game (RT) without reading the manual, that was interesting but I still bought the game just afterwards.

On 8/6/2020 at 9:14 PM, PhilM said:

I've just looked at the Steam page, due date 25 August ... but it lists only PC specs, doesn't seem to have the Mac version? (Or not so far, anyway ...)

I would (if possible) link my direct purchase to Steam to play / update it that way, or even consider buying it again ... but not if there's no Mac version!

Any info on that aspect?

Bump my own post: any info on the Mac version arriving on Steam?

5 hours ago, PhilM said:

Bump my own post: any info on the Mac version arriving on Steam?

Sorry for the slow response.  Our arrangement with Slitherine is for Windows only as they don't handle Mac games at all, as far as I know.   The way I see it is if we like the way things work out for Steam (good chance of it), and we increase our product load with Slitherine (pretty much a sure bet), we'll try to work something out.  Timeline before knowing these two things?  Before 2020 ends.

Steve

9 hours ago, Gumboots said:

Youtube is a big resource for new players of games. How to play videos are popular and examples of gameplay.

The CMx2 series has a large number of videos including Bill Hardinger's excellent tactics series. It's a big plus for the CMx2 games appearing on Steam which new games don't initially have. 

FYI the name is Bil Hardenberger... appreciate the mention though.

:) 

17 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Sorry for the slow response.  Our arrangement with Slitherine is for Windows only as they don't handle Mac games at all, as far as I know.   The way I see it is if we like the way things work out for Steam (good chance of it), and we increase our product load with Slitherine (pretty much a sure bet), we'll try to work something out.  Timeline before knowing these two things?  Before 2020 ends.

Steve

Congrats on this arrangement Steve.  This is no small deal.

Best, Bil

On 8/6/2020 at 4:07 PM, IanL said:

What, come one that's what people want to see. Forget about creating new content or new features that's all very old school. We want a comment war. Next  you will say you don't have a Twitter account.  /s

The developers of Graviteam Tactics interact with users on the forum continuosly and also improve their games and offer new content every year.

8 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Steve

Steve, thanks for the info.

Your response wasn’t slow, so no need to apologise, I was just conscious that my original query was going backwards in the recent postings at a rapid rate (in itself great news, very happy for the enthusiasm and interest here), so thought I’d bring it to the front again.

And, there’s a deadline! I’ll make a note for 31/12/20 (or 12/31/20 ...) to check ...

33 minutes ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

What a shame no other tactical wargame company does that.

Oh wait...

Oh Battlefront aren't remotely on the same level.  Just take a look at the DLC list:  https://store.steampowered.com/app/312980/Graviteam_Tactics_MiusFront/

Professional customers pay for the game engine but customers pay for quality content, and Battlefront hasn't yet tried to cash in on that front.  The silly thing is once you've got your game engine up and running that's the hard and costly bit, you can churn out campaign packs for comparative peanuts left, right and centre (see Command Ops, CMANO, Panzer Corps, etc etc).  

Meanwhile in the last year we've had one module for Fortress Rome, and in the last two years Shock Force 2 (which is a rebuild of old pre-existing content).  Sure, Battlefront have chosen to spend their time on professional contracts (and I don't blame them, that's good money) but technically releasing something once a year isn't the same thing as what Graviteam or the other major players are doing and I don't think Battlefront would ever claim they were.