Exciting news about Battlefront and Slitherine

4 minutes ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

If it makes financial sense for BFC, I'm all for it.

My favorite part of this will be all the CM haters on the Matrix/Slitherine forums having to suck it.

Very glad that we'll be able to continue to buy and install direct from BFC if we desire.

yes,some CC players hate CM, I  still don't know why.

1 minute ago, Badger73 said:

@Battlefront.com

Slitherine has a pretty robust forum community in it's own right.  Any thoughts about separation / integration / linking between theirs and Battlefront's own forum community?

If they have a forum that directs over here, great, but I certainly hope these forums will stay in place.

Just now, Vergeltungswaffe said:

A lot of them over there like to bag on CM.

I think it's mostly a case of "not a Matrix/Slitherine product".

I'll be interested to see if some of them start white knighting now that it is. 🤣

Yes, I've thought about that too :D

A lot of the animosity dates back to the very start.  Steel Panthers and Close Combat both predated Combat Mission and both claimed to be the most realistic wargame out there.  Some people, I think, built their identity around that.  Then CM1 came out and challenged that, then crushed it with CM2.  A the same time there was the whole turn based vs. RealTime argument which, once again, people built identities around.  CM2 really messed with people's heads about that one.  More than a few heated debates here, for sure!

It really comes down to personal tastes becoming debates.  That's a normal thing for us Humans.  Music, movies, food, cities, etc.  We all have opinions based on self selecting arguments and most of us are not shy about sharing them.

Steve

As a sort of long time fan (since CMSF1 times) of CM this is good news...I think...the "Steam wars" have raged on this forums from time to time, and good reason for and against have been argued over time

I sincerely hope it works, Steam does offer many conveniences to costumers and if the math works out and more people buys into the CM brand it can only benefit us all

In my particular case, being from Latin America, I wonder how localized price will work (if at all), on the one hand it could entice people over outside the US to buy more titles, but certainly reduces revenue in the short time I guess

Still, whatever the case is, having more options is always good as a costumer

29 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Yes, I've thought about that too :D

A lot of the animosity dates back to the very start.  Steel Panthers and Close Combat both predated Combat Mission and both claimed to be the most realistic wargame out there.  Some people, I think, built their identity around that.  Then CM1 came out and challenged that, then crushed it with CM2.  A the same time there was the whole turn based vs. RealTime argument which, once again, people built identities around.  CM2 really messed with people's heads about that one.  More than a few heated debates here, for sure!

It really comes down to personal tastes becoming debates.  That's a normal thing for us Humans.  Music, movies, food, cities, etc.  We all have opinions based on self selecting arguments and most of us are not shy about sharing them.

Steve

Absolutely.

People definitely have their own preferences and are entitled to them, but I always felt like a lot of SP/CC crowd criticized CM because it's a much deeper game/sim (we all know it's a lot better too) and a lot of them weren't very good at it.

1 hour ago, t34577685 said:

First the CM 3D graphic may attract him,but when he play it,the complex system may let him give a “not recommend”. however,I hope this will not happen

I too hope that. And if people begin to down rate Combat Mission games because they find them too complicated, I hope Battlefront doesn't decide to go the way other game companies seem to have done and simplify the games because they see to amount of sales instead of good content.

Many games you find on Steam you can also find on websites for "free" games. How great is the risk of Battlefront games to become "free" if they are being sold on Steam?

The fact that Battlefront still is offering demos to try the games out before purchasing them is of course hopefully a way to prevent them from becoming "free" in the future.

And if we gain, so do you all because you know we're just going to plow the money back into CM products.

A new updated game engine here we come.

Edited by BornGinger

I just can't resist...Steam... I can't even.... just, lol. I know what will be said... don't care. ITYS, what seems like eons ago. Now out of bubble the legit criticism is coming, be ready. Oh and cool, BF on Steam, awesome. Now a modern engine and we are set for the future. ;)

Edited by AstroCat

3 minutes ago, Ivanov said:

Congratulations on getting out of you comfort zone! I can't wait for Steve engaging with average customers on the Steam forum 💖

I agree, as an average consumer myself, I can't wait to leverage Steam's public platform for the benefit of the community and to provide honest feedback in good faith.

3 hours ago, Pablius said:

As a sort of long time fan (since CMSF1 times) of CM this is good news...I think...the "Steam wars" have raged on this forums from time to time, and good reason for and against have been argued over time

I sincerely hope it works, Steam does offer many conveniences to costumers and if the math works out and more people buys into the CM brand it can only benefit us all

In my particular case, being from Latin America, I wonder how" price will work (if at all), on the one hand it could entice people over outside the US to buy more titles, but certainly reduces revenue in the short time I guess

Still, whatever the case is, having more options is always good as a costumer

If we do benefit from 'localized' pricing I'll almost certainly end up spending more. I can see my budget being stretched that little bit further to include CMBS with my soon to be made CMSF2 purchase at 'localized' pricing. Currently in USD though that's a bridge too far.

Edited by AlanSA

That's a fantastic news! I hope we get all of CM games on Steam one day. 

58 minutes ago, Ivanov said:

Congratulations on getting out of you comfort zone! I can't wait for Steve engaging with average customers on the Steam forum 💖

My guess is Slitherine is going to do the heavy lifting on Steam forum. Although I agree that's a really toxic place which i completely avoid. 

It'll be interesting to see how successful this is. Sacrificing CMSF2 to the gaping maw of Moloch might be worth it in increased brand awareness alone.
I can't tell you how many times I've had this conversation:
'What to you do?'
'I work for a game company.'
'That's interesting. What's its name?'
'Battefront.com'
'Oh, I know that game! Star Wars, right?'
'Sigh. No, it isn't Star Wars'.

Not gonna lie I am completely taken by surprise with this. I never thought I would see Combat Mission in steam. I thought at the most we would see it sold on the Slitherine store. 

I hope this move benefits CM as a whole. I am however braced for the impact of an influx of the usual steam player base. It’s certainly going to be interesting.