Exciting news about Battlefront and Slitherine

I would love to see all the CM games on Steam. For new players who prefer that platform, that would be a huge player base increase.

Would also love to see CMBO, CMBB and CMAK on Steam :) 

CMBO showed up quick in the mail, but I remember checking the mail everyday for like 2 weeks waiting for the CD of CMBB to show up. My oldest daughter was a brand new, 1 month old baby - she's a senior in high school now. Man, these are starting to be old memories!

Anyone down for 2000pt ME CA Short 75?

Edited by Rison

4 hours ago, GeoffP said:

Didn't see a response to this.  Is there a possibility the older titles will eventually find their way to Steam?

The answer is buried in the thread somewhere.  The short answer is that any CM game that Slitherine co-publishes with us will be on Steam provided this first experiment with CMSF2 is to our liking (we presume it will be, BTW).

Steve

45 minutes ago, Reverend Crass said:

Congratulations, I think this is great. Patching process should be easier too, I like Steam auto updates.

Now, if you would upgrade your graphics engine to something modern and added Steam workshop support, you would have no competition. CM2 would become The Wargame on Steam.

An engine upgrade would be CM3.  Hopefully that will show up eventually.:ph34r:

He makes me look like Guderian's love child though ... I cringed throughout the Abu Susah battle  "Javelins - not sure how useful they will be ..." and then getting a fully embarked Stryker whacked on or about turn 2 and then just going full frontal ... again with troops embarked right up to the front door of the Madrassa.  Perhaps I'm not such a sh1t player after all.  Nevertheless, entertaining.

I just about managed to watch it all- mostly trying not to backseat command from the comments.

Sometimes it's more interesting to watch someone who isn't 100% familiar with the game play than someone who makes it look easy- after playing CMx2 for an entire decade it's easy to forget how different it is from other games (and how punishing it can be).

He did pretty well in Allah's Fist though: a little bit of patience and he killed 5 Abrams and left one immobilised. That's a glorious victory for the Syrians!

On 8/4/2020 at 10:50 AM, Vergeltungswaffe said:

A lot of them over there like to bag on CM.

I think it's mostly a case of "not a Matrix/Slitherine product".

I'll be interested to see if some of them start white knighting now that it is. 🤣

It's a public access forum which pretty much means heaps of slacker posting, ****posting, venting, and advertising. I would be cautious about drawing any kind of sense or conclusion from such a narrow sampling of a consumer group. 

I can definitely draw conclusions.  I've been on there a long time and I see the same group always ready to jump into any CM post with their typical unwashed and uninformed opinions.

There are definitely a ton of randoms and what you say about them is certainly true, but that's not to whom I'm referring.

I'm trying to recall the name of the first and most notorious CMSF1 troll. He heaped abuse on the product until he got himself banned, then went on to other boards to continue the abuse. What was notable was he nonetheless kept purchasing the products. Its probably for the best that I can't recall the name.

3 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I'm trying to recall the name of the first and most notorious CMSF1 troll. He heaped abuse on the product until he got himself banned, then went on to other boards to continue the abuse. What was notable was he nonetheless kept purchasing the products. Its probably for the best that I can't recall the name.

And did a couple of his own scenarios for the CMX2 engine that he was very vocally not fond of across multiple forums.

2 hours ago, mjkerner said:

Michael Dorosch?

Yep

On 8/14/2020 at 5:35 PM, Combatintman said:

He makes me look like Guderian's love child though ... I cringed throughout the Abu Susah battle  "Javelins - not sure how useful they will be ..." and then getting a fully embarked Stryker whacked on or about turn 2 and then just going full frontal ... again with troops embarked right up to the front door of the Madrassa.  Perhaps I'm not such a sh1t player after all.  Nevertheless, entertaining.

As I mentioned on A Few Good Men, CMSF2 will teach you very quickly "Only Fools Rush In".  You get schooled pretty quickly in these games.

On 8/15/2020 at 1:04 PM, MikeyD said:

I lurked over on Gamesquad during those years and the discussions were broadly more interesting that what was going on here. They tended to break the game down more than what was seen on these official forums. Within the last couple years these forums have gotten better as a few folks have started to really dig into CMx2's systems and do interesting things with them.

2 hours ago, com-intern said:

I lurked over on Gamesquad during those years and the discussions were broadly more interesting that what was going on here. They tended to break the game down more than what was seen on these official forums.

Funny.  I remember Gamesquad quite differently during that time.  Maybe it was because of all the vitriol and abuse that was aimed at me personally, this Forum specifically, and Battlefront generally.  At the time there wasn't much in the way of discussion of the game itself (a couple of the most prolific critics bragged about never having played CMSF1).  Maybe things got better over there after the first few years, I don't know as I haven't checked in for probably 10 years or so. There simply wasn't anything interesting to read that I couldn't see here without the abusive tone.

Within the last couple years these forums have gotten better as a few folks have started to really dig into CMx2's systems and do interesting things with them.

As for these Forums, they've been the same for 20+ years.  Lots and lots of informed, often critical, discussions of the deepest inner workings of CM.  Problems with CM have always been brought out into the open here, discussed, narrowed down, and addressed by us.  But then again, as the person that had to answer these questions and make sure that problems raised were addressed, perhaps I'm remembering things differently than you.

Steve

This of course is going to a discussion prone to fallible human memory and opinion. However, for my part I recall there being a dearth of interesting discussion on this forum a bit after the most of the CM:SF patching was done but before CM:BN was released. During that period Gamesquad was... vigorous but I felt that the big personalities there kept the discussion going. Those same large personalities eventually caused the Gamesquad forum to implode and since the CM:BN release discussion here has been improving year over year.

Edited by com-intern
Edit for clarity

This of course is going to a discussion prone to fallible human memory and opinion.

Indeed :)  I probably put in more than a thousand hours here during that time period.  It was those discussions that helped shape CMBN from CMSF1.  If all those discussions were superficial and unimaginative, then I guess we're way better game designers than even we give ourselves credit for.  Personally, I remember those discussions being critical to getting CMBN to where it needed to be, not just a waste of my time.

However, for my part I recall there being a dearth of interesting discussion on this forum a bit after the most of the CM:SF patching was done but before CM:BN was released. During that period Gamesquad was... vigorous but I felt that the big personalities there kept the discussion going.Those same large personalities eventually caused the Gamesquad forum to implode and since the CM:BN release discussion here has been improving year over year.

I'm not surprised about the "big personality" problem.  This is the primary reason a forum should moderate behavior.  No moderation allows the most negative personalities to thrive and in the process drive out everybody else.  I'd even say that an overly moderated forum does better long term than one where there's effectively no standard for code of conduct.

Steve

Gamesquad was the HQ for the resistance, those who did not like the move to CMx2 or did not like CM:modern or did not like the CM concept to begin with. I recall there were a lot of threads speculating that CMx2 was not catching on or that Steve was exaggerating its success and that it was just a matter of time until BFC went belly up.

Old timers no doubt remember that CM:SF was initially met with a lot of hostility. It was not CMx1, it was not WW2 and it was simulating a Middle-East War at a time when the Iraq War was really hot and polarizing opinions around the world. It's interesting to me that the release of CMSF2 has been pretty much a non-event in that regard. 10 years on, wargamers are more willing to accept CMSF2 for what it is: a fine simulation of modern tactical combat.

I speculated that BFC had perhaps made the mistake of opening the CMx2 game engine chat board too early, giving posters a year and a half to build impossible cloud castle fantasy games in their heads that nobody could have satisfied. When they didn't get their first person shooter/strategic combo game with 60x km maps and a 'Matrix'-style neural plug-in feature they were devastated.

Something that I've noticed even more since lockdown is that there are a lot of people online who are aggressively negative about everything, no matter what the situation. It can be well worth acknowledging where something has flaws, but treating every flaw as if it's the worst thing imaginable is exhausting and doesn't achieve anything.