Exciting news about Battlefront and Slitherine

On 8/6/2020 at 1:31 PM, Battlefront.com said:

In short... we're not worried.  In the end, it only matters how much money we make.  We already have a solid community to draw from for feedback and support, so for us Steam is all about the money.

I like this change of rhetoric over the past 5 years when Steam was seemingly the enemy of all things money. But eh, better late than never, so :salute:

On 8/6/2020 at 12:33 AM, com-intern said:

Honestly people are panicking way too much over Steam reviews. To the point that I actually question whether people commenting actually use the platform. Here are some reviews for "serious wargames" many of which look significantly worse than CM. Some of these are literally chits on a map.

Steam has a fairly large community which is extremely starved for realistic military games. They will "mostly positive" anything that has any kind of bullet drop in it. Combat Mission will be getting those upvotes in droves.

Good news, albeit long overdue.  I've never understood the meta on these forums that there is a "typical Steam user" when there are games like Scourge of War Waterloo - less accessible than CM and with graphics performance that makes CM look like it's on speed - that are rated Mostly Positive on Steam.

Anyway, aside from hoping that the vastly increased exposure through Steam will lead to significant future investment in the titles, for me one of the biggest windfalls from this partnership would be if CM integrated with Slitherine's PBEM system.  If you are a regular player of Field of Glory 2 or similar you will already know what a boon this is to quickly getting multiple games going with randoms or friends.

On 8/8/2020 at 4:33 AM, Battlefront.com said:

Sorry for the slow response.  Our arrangement with Slitherine is for Windows only as they don't handle Mac games at all, as far as I know.   The way I see it is if we like the way things work out for Steam (good chance of it), and we increase our product load with Slitherine (pretty much a sure bet), we'll try to work something out.  Timeline before knowing these two things?  Before 2020 ends.

Steve

The good news is Steam has an in-built compatibility layer (Proton). I already tested one CM demo and it worked perfectly. So most probably CMSF2 will run fine under Linux and Mac without the need to introduce system specific code.

Off the the Steam site:

Additional Notes: The game does not work in a virtualized environment (virtual machine)

I might be wrong and that would be a good thing. But I think you ran the demo off a download from the Battlefront site where the non Windows app is available. The demo link on Steam takes you to Battlefront directly.  Mac users may have to wait a little bit. But it will be well worth it. 

4 hours ago, kevinkin said:

But I think you ran the demo off a download from the Battlefront site where the non Windows app is available. The demo link on Steam takes you to Battlefront directly.  

I ran the demo (the one for windows) on Linux with Proton.

8 hours ago, kevinkin said:

Off the the Steam site:

Additional Notes: The game does not work in a virtualized environment (virtual machine)

I might be wrong and that would be a good thing. But I think you ran the demo off a download from the Battlefront site where the non Windows app is available. The demo link on Steam takes you to Battlefront directly.  Mac users may have to wait a little bit. But it will be well worth it. 

As an aside, I ran CMBN, RT, FB and FI in various virtual environments on a Mac without too many issues. The games were playable, so long as the scenario wasn’t too big, and most features worked quite well except for some of the weather atmospherics which rely much more on the GPU. Modern virtual environments have come a long way in recent years. If memory serves me right (not quite so often these days) I used Wine, Crossover and VMWare Fusion. YMMV. I know this isn’t suitable for Steam and doesn’t really make any sense if one can already use the Mac version of the game on a real Mac, but it does point the way to a virtualised OS independent future perhaps.

Another option for Mac/Linux users, who want to use Steam, may be to use the Shadow service as it becomes available, or similar? 

23 hours ago, kevinkin said:

Off the the Steam site:

I don't know about Steam specifically but I've run the W10 version of Black Sea on my MacBook Pro with Parallels Desktop with no problem at all. Indistinguishable from running it natively on the Mac.

In that case I had a specific reason for doing so, but I normally wouldn't bother just to use Steam

Dave

Edited by Ultradave

Looks like this is actually a demo of the “professional” version, at least they have titled it as such, and Steve seems to be presenting.

edit: actually standard CMBS being demoed, but discussion is potential of CM professional.

Edited by akd

3 minutes ago, AlexUK said:

Caught mention of full battle replay in the works

I heard that too, though it wasn't clear to me if this feature is only for the Pro version of the game or if it will make its way to the commercial version. I certainly hope it makes its way to the commercial version. 

2 minutes ago, Hister said:

Who was the presenter? 

I believe it was Steve himself. 

Just now, IICptMillerII said:

I heard that too, though it wasn't clear to me if this feature is only for the Pro version of the game or if it will make its way to the commercial version. I certainly hope it makes its way to the commercial version. 

I believe it was Steve himself. 

Oh, cool, first time I hear Steve's voice. 

15 minutes ago, Holien said:

Darn missed it... If anyone finds it please post a link.

It can be viewed at this link

3 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Some iffy targetting going on there IMHO.....Not sure @Bil Hardenberger would approve.  :P

I'll critique Chris's play once I get a chance to watch it myself.  ;)