Operation Market Garden announced!

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.

Take my money , Please.

I am even hopeful that it will not be long before they release it.

Two things that caught my eye.

First, love the concept of the Master maps, what a great tool to help people with creating scenarios. It is so much easier if you have a map to start with, even if you want to change it. Still a big plus.

And will provide some consistancy with what might get created in what we know to be main areas of fighting.

Second - The Challenger Tank, have not seen that since CMBO days!!!. Not a tank that you hear about often. But I found it enjoyable the first time I came across it and hope to see it make a nice impact in games in the new series.

(Hyperventilating) I don't know where to start -- the amount of excellent detail in this module is breathtaking...

-Dutch rooflines, many more types than I'd ever expected.

-Ditchlock for elevations

-Footpaths! (Does that mean new France maps will be able to have footpaths too? Or only ones in Holland?)

-The bridges -- ahh, the bridges. From the canal lift bridge that looks like it came from a Van Gogh painting, to the *monster* in screenshot #17 that sent me over the top.

-Brick walls! (maybe some day we'll get black iron railings as a wall/fence option)

-Windmills (I'm assuming they're buildings and can be entered by troops and climbed to the top of the tower, yes? Important as observation posts in such flat country)

-German 50mm mortars. Wow, I never thought I'd see this oldie be new for MG. (Does this mean makers of early-war scenarios in CMBN could use these too? Will there be a restriction to place or period?)

-Dutch churches? Not sure. Saw steeples from a distance in some of the shots, but didn't notice any closeups. I hope some new church styles have been made to give us those distinctively Dutch Protestant brick churches with their white trim and steeple style.

Nice buildings and objects but...

No Red Devils\Polish AB Campaign? Really?!! :(

Thats what I thought a first..however then I realised it wouldn't show off all the new extras from the module and has a real lack of AFV combat, so really its not the best campaign idea to stock in the game, I'm sure someone will make a user made campaign though. Plus the scenarios would all be pretty similar...maybe best as a selection of single missions.

-Footpaths! (Does that mean new France maps will be able to have footpaths too? Or only ones in Holland?)

I think it's a pretty safe bet that "generic" map features like footpaths will be accessible to mapmakers regardless of the region/date. Since the map editor currently has no such restriction feature, it would actually take additional effort and coding for BFC to restrict things in the editor and I don't see why they would do this. Of course, existing Normandy maps would have to be revised to take advantage of new terrain options.

-German 50mm mortars. Wow, I never thought I'd see this oldie be new for MG. (Does this mean makers of early-war scenarios in CMBN could use these too? Will there be a restriction to place or period?)

Scenario designers can always work around unit date restrictions by changing the date of the scenario to a date when the unit is available, adding the unit, and then changing the date back to whenever they want. So unit availability restrictions only really apply to QBs.

Thats what I thought a first..however then I realised it wouldn't show off all the new extras from the module and has a real lack of AFV combat, so really its not the best campaign idea to stock in the game, I'm sure someone will make a user made campaign though. Plus the scenarios would all be pretty similar...maybe best as a selection of single missions.

Yes; for a variety of reasons, I can see why the Red Devils & Polish AB are not really the best choice for the "flagship" campaign of the module. I think it's a safe bet they will be prominently featured in several scenarios included in the module, tho.

And I'm sure someone in the community will produce a campaign featuring these unit within a couple of months of the module release.

But do they have wooden shoes?

PS What German force gets the 50mm mortars? The Fallschirmjaegers?

IIRC from my SPI Highway to the Reich days there were Fallschirmjaeger units present, but were not the same caliber of the earlier years. No jump training, not as selective or well trained as before. After the Italy campaign they formed more Fallschirmjager units and they may have looked like Fallschirmjagers and been equipped like Fallschirmjagers, but they didn't perform like the Fallschirmjagers of the past.

IMO-this weekend would make a great release date!

I hope in new tweaks because only new units no make so many difference with the actual game... I repeat for the x time i would like:

- churchill avre

- flamethover and tank crocodile e flammpanzer

- troops passenger on tank ( also without graphical effects)

- possibility to use abandoned enemy or friendly gun or vehicles, tanks... Exchanging crew too

Only to enjoy :

- possibility to have different units and numbers, simbols and runes on tanks or on troops uniform

I love this game but i hope that battlefront will improve this superb work

The most exciting piece is news is the module comes with SHOE STORES! I notice over the KT's left should in one screenshot is a shop sign that reads "Shoenenwinkel". ;)

So if you pop into the cobbler for a resole, does it effect your fatigue rating?

Quick answer about the Footpath terrain, new buildings, new bridges, and other Editor improvements. These will be available to use anywhere within the Normandy timeframe to your heart's content. However, if it is something that involves models/textures then you'll only be able to use those scenarios if you have Market Garden. For example, you could make a Normandy beachead scenario using only the units found in the Base Game, but if you put in Footpath it would mark the scenario as only useable by Market Garden owners. That's because the artwork and code necessary to use them is embedded in Market Garden.

50mm mortars are used by a variety of poor quality German forces. Some are so poor quality that they don't even get the that :D

Steve

Great job BF!! I too was particularly taken with the architecture, but there's much, much more to like and get excited about. This module will build on the base game and first module in a way that provides the best illustration yet of the evolutionary aims of the BF model for game development. I firmly believe that will be the key signature highlighted by those who review it.

I wondered if our sceptical polish brethren might care to comment - or are they sheepishly hding. Perhaps an apology might rectify things...

The master maps concept is interesting.

It moves the CMx2 line a bit more into the direction of games that keep people in the scope of the narrow timeframe and theater not only with units, but also with maps. But without removing the ability to make new maps entirely like other games do.

On the other hand I am a bit sad that "official BFC manpower" is being put into providing more large maps that have to be finished before release, instead of providing more powerful editing tools (cut'n'paste of terrain, import/export) and letting people come up with maps after release. It won't surprise anyone if I say that in my opinion a strong, highly visible stream of aftermarket material is the way I would go.

The main concern being what happens when the semi-free manpower that is currently building these maps dwindles over time and the better tools for outsiders have not been made.

One question: can people freely cut out a piece of a master map worth a scenario, then modify it freely for their scenario? Any drawbacks to that? And how does this work in the normal case when you don't want to modify, do you just load the whole master map?