Operation Market Garden announced!

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The master maps concept is interesting.

It moves the CMx2 line a bit more into the direction of games that keep people in the scope of the narrow timeframe and theater not only with units, but also with maps. But without removing the ability to make new maps entirely like other games do.

Yup! For a historical, specific, centrally important map it makes sense for us to build one and say "here it is" instead of people having to build one for themselves or go find someone else who did one and download it. But yet if someone thinks they can do one better, or mod the one we've included, they can have at it. And of course they can make whatever else their heart desires.

On the other hand I am a bit sad that "official BFC manpower" is being put into providing more large maps that have to be finished before release,

Errr.... why do you think that? Do you really think Charles and Phil are messing around in the Editor to make this stuff? Or do you think that these new Master Maps are some sort of custom coded wonders that are the result of tools you guys don't have access to? Because neither are correct.

The main concern being what happens when the semi-free manpower that is currently building these maps dwindles over time and the better tools for outsiders have not been made.

The manpower making maps/scenarios have never, and will never, play any part in making new tools or any other coded features of any sort. Testing new tools? Sure, but guess how they test them? By making maps/scenarios :D So there's nothing lost here.

It is also good to remember that the awesome folks who make all these maps/scenarios for you are volunteers.

One question: can people freely cut out a piece of a master map worth a scenario, then modify it freely for their scenario? Any drawbacks to that? And how does this work in the normal case when you don't want to modify, do you just load the whole master map?

It's no different than how it works now. Load someone else's map, crop it and go.

The only issue are the new customized bridges. You can't crop those wherever you want. The system couldn't cope with that, so we are providing "partial bridges" so you can have 1/2 a bridge instead of the full one. Easy enough to swap those out.

Steve

"It is also good to remember that the awesome folks who make all these maps/scenarios for you are volunteers."

Recent posts "The Sheriff of Oosterbeek" and the AAR re "Wittmann's Demise" are fine examples of what experienced volunteers can craft. Thank you all.

"quite a lot of the new German formations and equipment is available for ingame purchase in June.."

I was playing last PM with CMFI-GL and realized how many vehicles I have yet to use in my game time. The Axis AA Quad is a fun unit to play around with. We don't lack for variety and sounds like BF development strategy will keep most folks happy for a while to come.

Good to see my nagging hasn't fallen on deaf ears :D

On the specific issue of the Pz-A.-A., you were late to the party. ;)

IIRC Panzergrenadier Squads under the Panzer Brigade organisation were to be equipped exclusively with the StG44. They didnt even have squad mgs and instead relied on aa halftracks for long range automatic fire.

4 platoons total in the Panzer Brigade panzergrenadier battalion (Bdes. 105-110) were authorized as "sturm platoons" armed solely with MP44, 2 platoons each in 1. and 2. Company. The 3. Company had 2 standard Panzergrenadier platoons.

So... where are the staunch complainers of yesterdays? As I said in that thread, are they going to come back and apologise for their brutish behaviour?

It seems not...

In fact they seem to be suspiciously absent from the entire thread.

Maby they still dont feel its worth 35$?

EDIT: oh wait, someone posted right above me :P

So... where are the staunch complainers of yesterdays? As I said in that thread, are they going to come back and apologise for their brutish behaviour?

It seems not...

In fact they seem to be suspiciously absent from the entire thread.

Maby they still dont feel its worth 35$?

EDIT: oh wait, someone posted right above me :P

module will be pretty cool, a lot of new content, etc.. unfortunately, does not change the mechanics of the game (yes I know it is a module, and it does not improve the mechanics) simply more attracted to me if introduced significant changes to the game (only for the "fog" of the movie, I would give money, but it was not fog ;(

- If I give money for a product? probably yes (treat it as a support for the brand)

* I just hope that the next module / patch / upgrade (no matter how it is called) to change the essence of the game - optimization, mechanics, graphics, etc..

There has, as far as I know, always been a patch associated with a module release. The patch has been universal for both owners of the base game and the module. So any optimization or fixes will not be listed in module features.

If BFC released patches only as part of a module that you need to buy, can you imagine how much people would complain then?

It actually looks kinda Dutch on the screenshots. Good for immersion. Content wise, this module looks totally worthwhile. I am particularly looking forward to the AA weapons on the Western Front. They are cool in CMFI and I am glad they are ported to my favorite theater now. I am definately going to buy it.

That said, still no word on improvements on the engine. Mind you, I am not talking major overhaul, just smaller tweaks. It has been talked about ad nauseum on the forum, but I think it is safe to say that the area of the engine that could really use some love is urban combat. The behaviour/abstraction of AT weapons and the uber spotting tanks.

No word from BFC on this. Fingers crossed.

module will be pretty cool, a lot of new content, etc.. unfortunately, does not change the mechanics of the game (yes I know it is a module, and it does not improve the mechanics) simply more attracted to me if introduced significant changes to the game (only for the "fog" of the movie, I would give money, but it was not fog ;(

- If I give money for a product? probably yes (treat it as a support for the brand)

* I just hope that the next module / patch / upgrade (no matter how it is called) to change the essence of the game - optimization, mechanics, graphics, etc..

There has almost always been a patch upgrading the base game around the same time when new modules are released.

We're still waiting for a couple of those. The post-GL patch for FI and the 1.11 patch for BN.

Point was that engine updates are usually part of a patch and not a module.

EDIT: also, here is the 1.11 patch for BN: http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2044&Itemid=518

All i've heard is that the GL patch for FI is sorely awaited, but nothing about BN, so i guess you just missed that one.

As one who expressed some concern about the value of the MG module, I was impressed by the number of new units in MG (at least for the CMBN theater, many are already in GL). I really like the new large theater maps. However, that being said, I will still be on the sidelines for a while.

Yes, I'm impressed also. And I will also hold out on buying it too...I refuse to buy it until pre-order is announced.

4 platoons total in the Panzer Brigade panzergrenadier battalion (Bdes. 105-110) were authorized as "sturm platoons" armed solely with MP44, 2 platoons each in 1. and 2. Company. The 3. Company had 2 standard Panzergrenadier platoons.

AFAIK the first batch of Panzer Brigades were equipped along these lines:

http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/kstn/kstn1114agpfg1aug44.htm

Is there any chance introduction to the game of drainage ditches?

There is a new ditchlock elevation feature for map designers allowing them to better represent ditches. JonS mentions it in his scenario design posts. I'm not really sure how the AI will behave with the ditches - hopefully soldiers will get into the ditch if within the 'action' square.

It's always nice to know at least one or two of you are potential buyers of the stuff we're working on ;)

Every single release we've ever put out has some improvements, often significant ones, to the game itself. Those are then wrapped up and released as free patches to others. Market Garden is not going to be an exception to this.

One reason we don't pre-announce such improvements is that people tend to, uhm, not handle it well :D If we say Feature A is going to be in we immediately get slammed with questions/demands about hundreds of other possible features (including some that are ridiculous, historically wrong, or are actually already in the game). You'd think with all that fun being just a post away we'd be chomping at the bit to experience it yet again, but oddly enough we're not. So best to save it for release notes and leave it there.

When you think about it we're saying that a Module, and later Packs, have their value based on the unique content they provide. Since game improvements are not inherently part of these things, they should play no special role in deciding if any one Module or Pack is worth purchasing. It should be a separate evaluation. If you don't like the game then who cares how many tanks or maps are in a Module or Pack? If you like the game and don't think there's enough stuff in a Pack or Module, then why would you buy it?

But that's just me... being all practical minded about this :D

Steve