v2.01 IS HERE!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit curious about this as well. A straight answer from someone who knows would be appreciated.

Michael

I suspect he may be referring to the CMFI hotfix shaders, which can also be used for CMBN. Download is here:

http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/100120/combat-mission-fortress-italy-patch-1-00-1-hotfix

Regarding the machine gun changes, I'm pretty happy about them. There is a more natural flow to a firefight between groups of infantry, an initial flurry of fire, then most or all of both sides drop low to get out of LoS, come back up and begin firing again, back and forth, with natural breathing periods where maneuver is possible if you have an unsuppressed element.

I like it.

I suspect he may be referring to the CMFI hotfix shaders, which can also be used for CMBN. Download is here:

http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/100120/combat-mission-fortress-italy-patch-1-00-1-hotfix

Yep, those are the ones I was referring to. The "hotfix" is really just a ZIP file with a bunch of useful files in it. There are a couple card-specific shader directories in there - snag the shaders for your card and drop them in your Z / mod folder.

They're not "fixed" shaders so much as "improved optional" shaders, and they may not work on older video cards (hence the "optional"), but it's worth a shot. If they don't work right just quit the game and take the added files out of your Z / mod folder.

Glad so many of you are liking the way things are looking and running!

The game feels different. The MGs feel right. The machinegun is now so much more important on the battlefield. No more maneuvering with relative impunity, when you are on the receiving end of MG42 at 1000 meters. Kudos!

YES. I love FI but can't play it till it gets the same fix. Thanks again Battlefront for making sweeping but necessary changes to infantry combat.

Having opposite experience from majority so far regarding graphics and slowdowns since patching. Running a fairly decent 2.5yo Alienware 15x w/ Nvidia card and it had no issues prior to patching. Crushing slowdowns and definite decrement in detail since install. Will try the shader quickfix to see if that helps. Anyone else experiencing this?

Having opposite experience from majority so far regarding graphics and slowdowns since patching. Running a fairly decent 2.5yo Alienware 15x w/ Nvidia card and it had no issues prior to patching. Crushing slowdowns and definite decrement in detail since install. Will try the shader quickfix to see if that helps. Anyone else experiencing this?

Just wondering, did you have mods in a "z" folder when you installed it? I don't believe they warned us about that this time, so maybe it isn't a factor, but it was in earlier patches and upgrades.

Hello All:

Are the mini Mortars as deadly as before?

Gerry

Mini mortars haven't been as deadly since they fixed the retargetting bug (the one that meant after the first mission, every shot fired was "for effect", no ranging necessary). Whether the "mortar accuracy" issue is a reduction or increase in their effectiveness we don't have a steer on yet.

I don't own 2.0 yet, but was just wondering whether the "New And Improved" 2.01 MG behaviour has had the side effect of letting MGs rapidly attrite non-moving dug in infantry using their now intensified ROFs.

Has anybody checked out the effects of HMG offensive fire against troops in foxholes or bunkers?

Agreed. The problem with abstracted microcover is that if it reduces chance to hit of an otherwise accurate bullet or fragment by half, you can defeat that by pumping in 2 rounds.

The "pinned" troops then sticking their heads and shoulders up to spot for extended periods compounds this problem. Thus, Troops in cover rapidly melt away under intense fire no matter what your or their intent may be unless you can enforce a Hide order behind a suitable stretch of bullet-defeating cover like a crestline.

Which is why simply upping the firepower of MGs with no other changes is going to make things much worse, not better, for infantry. Even if it "solves" the pooltable problem.

The game feels different. The MGs feel right. The machinegun is now so much more important on the battlefield. No more maneuvering with relative impunity, when you are on the receiving end of MG42 at 1000 meters. Kudos!

Does the MG42 even fire at 1000m? Last time I tested it, it wouldn't shoot at more than, IIRC, 800m (MG34 was 600, as was the BAR).

It definitely sounds like it's going to be time to go "back to infantry school" (play some QBs against the AI) to learn what MGs can do now...

Very nice MG effectiveness now! 8) If Pixeltroopers would dive down for reloading magazines, then it would be almost perfect. Keeping up standing or kneeling to reload, still causes very unnecessary losses,

Some small bug encountered: Noticed the tripod HMG42 feeding mechanism cover, occasionally would keep standing straight up, but the gunner could still shoot in this state. Probably an interrupted, or broken animation cycle during reloading something. Never seen that before.

What does this entry mean?:

* Corrected an accuracy problem with on-map indirect fire

Mortars are more or less accurate?

More 'stuff' gets adjusted than we mere testers are privy to but one bug they corrected was with initial spotting rounds inadvertantly hitting dead-on. So by that measure I'd say 'less'.

More 'stuff' gets adjusted than we mere testers are privy to but one bug they corrected was with initial spotting rounds inadvertantly hitting dead-on. So by that measure I'd say 'less'.

Is it now impossible (as in actually impossible, rather than impossible for my pixeltruppen) to get a "lucky" initial lay? Or was it just "too likely" before?