Russian Front? Make it so

We have afair way to go yet...modules followed by the bulge game followed by three more modules....and I'm not certian whether there is a 1945 game or the end will be a module...then we get East Front IF there is demand for it...followed by more modules and games covering this theatre...then CMSF 2.

I too though am waiting for the East front!!

We have afair way to go yet...modules followed by the bulge game followed by three more modules....and I'm not certian whether there is a 1945 game or the end will be a module...

Yeah, The Bulge and its three modules will cover the rest of the war, winter to spring. Then the Ostfront will start at Bagration and wind it's way backwards as the titles and modules progress.

Mord.

Hi,

All previous versions of CM are just R&D for the Eastern Front titles... ;).

Although I am hugely impatient for the Eastern Front I was in a way relieved that the first outing of CMX2 WWII was in the west. It means the Eastern Front versions will be the perfected versions. Remember CMBB was the second in the series.

Because of my interest in the subject I still regard CMBB as the greatest wargame of all time in any format. Relative to the technology of the time I am still shocked a wargame could be so good, so historically accurate it was a form of military history :).

But I consider the CMX2 engine a big advance on CMX1 so am confident that when the new engine reaches the Eastern Front the title of “greatest wargame of all time” will move to the new title.

In my version of the prefect world the Eastern Front would be the next title but believe it or not, and Eastern Front enthusiasts like me find it very surprising, but Western Front settings sell far more copies. They are more popular even in this niche market.

Anyway.... The Bulge is my favourite Western Front battle so that followed by the Eastern Front is still not bad :).

We are lucky to have CM...

All the best,

Kip.

We have afair way to go yet...modules followed by the bulge game followed by three more modules....and I'm not certian whether there is a 1945 game or the end will be a module...then we get East Front IF there is demand for it...followed by more modules and games covering this theatre...then CMSF 2.

I too though am waiting for the East front!!

IF there is a a demand.........IF!!!!!!!!! there is a demand? Of course there will be a demand: it is only the key to all of WWII in Europe. I can happily pass up the skirmish in NA and the distractions in W. Europe as long as the REAL campaign of WWII is covered

Hi,

Because of my interest in the subject I still regard CMBB as the greatest wargame of all time in any format. Relative to the technology of the time I am still shocked a wargame could be so good, so historically accurate it was a form of military history :).

But I consider the CMX2 engine a big advance on CMX1 so am confident that when the new engine reaches the Eastern Front the title of “greatest wargame of all time” will move to the new title.

In my version of the prefect world the Eastern Front would be the next title but believe it or not, and Eastern Front enthusiasts like me find it very surprising, but Western Front settings sell far more copies. They are more popular even in this niche market.

I'm prefectly happy to start off in Normandy. I think the commonwealth module is going to be even better than the initial chunk of CMBN, but I'm expecting the east front to top even that in terms of drama.

While I'd be happy to see any CM game or module that let me use something other than Shermans on the allied side (how I've loved the occasional appearance of Stuart light tanks...), I wholeheartedly endorse the idea that everything thus far is merely R&D for the all important east front titles. CMBB really got me hooked on the real core of WWII.

Ah Bugger I was hoping the eastern front was going to be a module for CMBN. But then that would be the largest module, with the scale of the east, all the axis allies. It now makes more sense if the Eastern front has it's own base game and modules.

I guess this means the final CMBN module will be Anzac's in the med :D desert tank fighting and infantry hill fighting oh my \o/

This post by Moon from 2009 encourages me to believe they'll start a third team to help churn out a Eastfront game at a faster pace. Maybe we will get it before 2015.

I am not sure either but if the poster thinks that we're not going to do Eastern Front anymore then he's VERY wrong. In fact, we plan to have a Russian-native team do most of the modules for that family of titles.

This post by Moon from 2009 encourages me to believe they'll start a third team to help churn out a Eastfront game at a faster pace. Maybe we will get it before 2015.

Now that is good to hear, the guys that did CMA did a good job I assume they are who he is talking about.

Wasn't CM Afghanistan made almost completely by a team out of Russia?

Would be great if they can continue to leverage that talent to help get WW2 Eastern Front titles out to us all the sooner. Be good to tap into that market too.

:)

edit - ya, see post above ;)

Russians making the east front...sounds good to me...

Scottie...how can you say the east front was boring??? The biggest, bloodiest battles of WW2...has everything you could want with two of the protagnists at their peak....

Apparently games with the Americans in sell more....tis a shame....I find the West Front of WW2 rather dull one sided in comparison...the War was over really by the time we got stuck in...Fighting a German Army whose best had already fallen on the Russian steps....an army fielded with teenage fanatics or VG divisions...the Germans had one last push left in them...and then died...

However I do prefer the West Front over Africa....

Now the Western Front in WW1 I find fasinating...

Russians making the east front...sounds good to me...

Scottie...how can you say the east front was boring??? The biggest, bloodiest battles of WW2...has everything you could want with two of the protagnists at their peak....

Apparently games with the Americans in sell more....tis a shame....I find the West Front of WW2 rather dull one sided in comparison...the War was over really by the time we got stuck in...Fighting a German Army whose best had already fallen on the Russian steps....an army fielded with teenage fanatics or VG divisions...the Germans had one last push left in them...and then died...

However I do prefer the West Front over Africa....

Now the Western Front in WW1 I find fasinating...

Gotta agree with you on the Soviet Front.

The war pertaining to winners and losers was long decided by the time June 6 '44 rolled around. It was more a matter of determining WHEN Germany would fall and where the Western allies would meet the Soviets.

When we talk about mass appeal, I think the reason why people get fixated on the Western Front versus the Eastern front is because they know almost nothing about WW2. They believe the typical Stephen E. Ambrose point of view that the United States and her little buddies saved the world from the Nazi's and the stuff that went on in the East wasn't very important.

This is the typical history of WW2 you get in the west in your high school years. Now, I am sure there are people whom are well aware of what happened in WW2 and simply prefer the Western Front, but we're talking about the masses who don't really know anything.

In my experience when people are exposed to the idea that maybe us Westerners didn't save the day and that maybe the most important fighting happened in the East, they tend to become more interested, they want to know more because this contradicts everything they've been taught and have believed.

So, I say, bring on the Russians to bring us some Eastern Front action ASAP! :)

I hardly think the unwashed, ungrog masses are lining up for detailed simulations of WWII tactical combat in any theater.

I'm more interested in the Western Front as a whole because my father fought there. I'd dare say that were he still above ground, he'd love to take anybody who dismisses the fighting in the West as dull back in time and show them that it was at least a tad exciting to those who were involved in contending with the teenagers and old men.

Eastern Front gaming is fine, I started out with "The Russian Campaign" from AH back in the dark ages and harbor no illusions that any one country had a monopoly on valor, power, sacrifice or effort.

I'm happy to see as much of WWII as possible covered by CM, and would like to see a Pacific version, although I know that's unlikely for several reasons.

They believe the typical Stephen E. Ambrose point of view that the United States and her little buddies saved the world from the Nazi's and the stuff that went on in the East wasn't very important.

In my experience when people are exposed to the idea that maybe us Westerners didn't save the day and that maybe the most important fighting happened in the East

Bold statement, so tell me how many T-34's or any other Soviet equipment did the USA and her little buddies use to defeat the Nazi’s? None but I do know that the Soviets used equipment the USA and the UK gave them such as tanks, trucks etc…… Plus I do know Stalin was begging the Allies to start an offensive push so as to relieve pressure on his forces.

The Allies were also fighting in the Pacific, something the Soviets weren’t. The Russians only had one front while the US/UK had multiple fronts to contend with.

I do agree though, the Soviets had to endure the greater part of the German military machine due to poor decisions Stalin made before the war and it is a shame more people aren’t well versed on the east front because it is a very interesting study. For a war game it is far more interesting and diverse in my opinion. I truly don’t understand how anyone would consider it boring.

I just bought PC:O. CMBN is the brighter star more inovative and 'deeper' - the actual 'must-have', but the other game is a (rough) gem in it's own niche and will still my Ostfront-wargaming needs for the next years. Don't want to start a PCO vs CMBN war, just give a signal to the real enthusiast that there is good reason to buy both games.