New Combat Mission game Announced. Combat Mission: Afrika Korps!!!

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dissapointment that this game is coming before an OSX code upgrade is overwhelming. There doesn't seem to be any real debate as to why BTS chose to do this. I guess its self explanatory that the powers that be are satified with their OS9 user base, and the prowess of their current 3D engine, which they feel can be tweaked one last time to include the infamous "dust clouds" of North Africa. Since no new mac can play this little gem, I, for one, wish they had been a little more ambitious and a little more progressive. This isn't really a mac version, it's an OS 9 version... which is, essentially, a piece of abandonware. Who can justify keeping legacy hardware for a single game?

Keep in mind that that list of nations is "in progress", as it says on the FAQ page. We'll see what we can do in the given timeframe. However, one thing is certain - CMAK will *not* have every single minor nation that saw combat in one of the three theaters. There were simply too many, and it would take a couple of years alone to research them, let alone record voice files and so on. So let's stay realistic, folks...

There might be a compormise solution here. You could provide an "other" nationality in the game where by loading in the suitable 3rd party mods one can make them to appear as any minor nation they want.

FWIW in addition to my other comments I would like to add that the sand in the screenshots is very wrong and I hope will not be the default terrain.

The fighting did not take place in sand dunes (side from a few LRDG skirmishes). The terrain could best be described as rocky covered with sand, an example is here.

I could also add that the sky is too cloudy - heh, but I bet you've stopped listening anyway.

Originally posted by Rex Bellator:

FWIW in addition to my other comments I would like to add that the sand in the screenshots is very wrong and I hope will not be the default terrain.

The fighting did not take place in sand dunes (side from a few LRDG skirmishes). The terrain could best be described as rocky covered with sand, an example is here.

I could also add that the sky is too cloudy - heh, but I bet you've stopped listening anyway.

probe03.jpg

Pleez fix or Sumfink! :D

Ha! I always suspected NASA faked their landings. Or perhaps the Desert War was actually fought on Mars, in which case I demand zero-gravity and little green men in M13s or somefink.

I'm very happy to be getting any kind of North Africa game, but it would have looked a bit silly with all the accurate and hard work displayed on the wrong terrain. I just thought I'd mention it early on smile.gif

[ April 05, 2003, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Rex Bellator ]

Great! The western desert was my first introduction to WWII, although I'm sure that playing as the British will be challanging - Crusaders vs MkIIIs....yikes...

But it is all worth it to have M3s.

SO, and this is the biq question for me: CDLs?!!? Please?!!? How cool would that be - to have those turret searchlight thingies in night battles would be way beyond cool (and probably way beyond the current engine!).

This isn't really a mac version, it's an OS 9 version... which is, essentially, a piece of abandonware. Who can justify keeping legacy hardware for a single game?
I would say most of the PC crowd are still using sub 1GHz machines. Most of them cannot afford to upgrade very often (fortunately, I'm not one of them). I'm sure a similar proportion exists with the Mac users. Why exclude 70 to 90% of your customer base just to accomidate a minority?

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by History Buff:

Great to see the Aussies there, can't wait for Tobruk!!!!!!!! Oh BFC please oh please don't double up on voices. Us Aussies don't speak like Brits or Americans!!!!!! I'll nominate for voices if you want. smile.gif

I'm guessing that Dan Olding may have that job already nailed but if you're looking for some local flavour (i.e. South Australian accents rather than those 'orrible Eastern seaboard ones) I'm your man. smile.gif

Regards

Jim R. </font>

Well it looks like I can finally put away my copy of Tobruk - AH's Tactical Western Desert game (or how to get RSI just working out one engagement) !!

It will be great seeing the boys from the 7th and 9th Div give Rommel a bloody nose at Tobruk and see the Germans earn those "Kreta" armbands.

A pity I'll have to hang onto my 500MHz G4 until the dawn of CMX2, but I can't complain given that we are getting another complete game "on the fly".

Two questions though:

1. Any chance of squeezing in the Yugoslav / Greek campaign ??

2. Any thought of releasing all three games on a DVD (instead of carrying around 3 CD's)?

Originally posted by gibsonm:

1. Any chance of squeezing in the Yugoslav / Greek campaign ?

That would be nice. And since we are " on the fly " I think this is the last chance, beacuse I don't believe that Yugoslav / Greek campaign will be the first title of new CMX2.

What's happened In Belgrade on april 6-th 1941? ;)

Cruiser tank screenshot fixed! Thanks, Madmatt.

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of requests for LRDG and SAS troops, vehicles, and special capabilities. Would love to see aircraft, hangars, fuel trucks and other goodies, as well as fuel and ammo dumps, warehouses, industrial facilities and similar to make life more colorful for us and easier for scenario designers. Dock cranes, piers, tramp steamers and small naval vessels would also be cool. Tobruk, raid, anyone? Think of the possibilities! And trains--please!

The Italians should have their elite Forza Saharienne (or whatever it was called; had AB 40 ACs and other vehicles to chase down desert raiders in conjunction with Ghibli close support aircraft).

Am looking forward to having Rolls Royce ACs--Silver Ghosts at war!

Forget "Rat Patrol." I want the real deal--Popski's Private Army under Vladimir Peniakoff!

Strongly concur that fluid nature of battles in North Africa will require more modeling of normally sheltered rear echelon units, including all sorts of artillery. Please let the Commonwealth forces have proper softskins, ditto the Germans and Italians. My kingdom for tank retrievers and Panzer Werkstatt Kompanien (and foreign equivalents). Oh, the fights over damaged vehicles! The evacuations under fire! Would love to have Kettenkrad as prime mover for FJ Gerlich 28/20 and RCLs in Crete and in the desert and motorcycles with sidecars and LMGs for light recon work.

Regards,

John Kettler

Of course we all missed the big hint Steve gave us back in February in a thread about possible add-ons for CMBB

Now... there is, of course, the possibility of taking the existing code and generating a totally new product from it like Med Theater, Poland, 1940 invasion of the West, etc. This is not what I would call an expansion pack, any more than I would call CMBB an expansion of CMBO. The reason is that so much work is needed to do each theater that it is really a seperate product which grows from the same code.

Originally posted by yunfat:

My dissapointment that this game is coming before an OSX code upgrade is overwhelming. There doesn't seem to be any real debate as to why BTS chose to do this. I guess its self explanatory that the powers that be are satified with their OS9 user base, and the prowess of their current 3D engine, which they feel can be tweaked one last time to include the infamous "dust clouds" of North Africa. Since no new mac can play this little gem, I, for one, wish they had been a little more ambitious and a little more progressive. This isn't really a mac version, it's an OS 9 version... which is, essentially, a piece of abandonware. Who can justify keeping legacy hardware for a single game?

GREAT post!

" Who can justify keeping legacy hardware for a single game?"

Well now we are keeping legacy hardware for 2 games and one upcoming

:rolleyes:

CMBB CMBO and CMAK

the lack of Support for RAVE in Classic is dissapointing and the lack of support for OSX in CMAK is equally dissapointing

BUT as it goes the MAC market probably account for a much smaller percentage of their sales and TO THEIR CREDIT (all bitching aside) they are MAC guys and at least they ALWAYS release both versions simutaneously! No other game maker/developer can claim that.

Sim City 4 for OSX is due out in May and it will be my next purchase and possible obsession for SURE! :D

-tom w