New Combat Mission game Announced. Combat Mission: Afrika Korps!!!

I agree with many of the previous speakers, in saying that Africa is *very* interesting, but that NVidia / Battlefront needs to get their act together and provide a working solution to the current problems. Otherwise this I'm afraid this game will be of limited interest to many consumers.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In most ways, it's an nVidia problem, their drivers have been sub-par for ages. CM is just one game suffering from them, other games have had issues like losing up to 10 to 20% from fps changing from one driver set to another, etc. Comes with being the market leader, no need to actually fix things when most people haven't got a choice.

Of course this game will just be something to keep me occupied until the Second Coming of the Western Front (but then I thought that about CMBB too, and now it feels like I still haven't scratched the surface of it when there's already a new CM game in the offing).

One niggle from the military ignoramus that I am : buildings.

The square blocks with yards of open ground between them were completely unsuitable as representations of Western European style buildings. CMBB was a step forward because Russian villages are actually built that way.

But there is no way in the world we'll be able to make those desert, Cretian and Italian villages look realistic if there's nothing else on offer but those same old CMBO buildings again.

Originally posted by Malakim:

As long as there *is* such a problem, it will keep people from buying the games.

It matters in the sense of where the responsibility lies. BFC can't do it, since if they coded in work-arounds for problems caused by nVidia's drivers, the fixes would probably be broken when the next set of drivers is released. The right target for complaints is nVidia, or the manufacturer of the particular brand of gfx card. What BFC or anyone else for that matter can do is either be prepared to release a nearly endless stream of patches, or hope that nVidia actually listens to its customer base.

[ April 05, 2003, 06:01 AM: Message edited by: Engel ]

Building

For that cramped medieval italian look we will need mods for buildings that are right next to each other plus I would think tall stone walls and terraces. Perhaps even a aquaduct and other classic aspects would be nice

Really need a good olive tree orchard look also and vineyards (modified hedge) I would think.

Great!

I can't wait to play in (a possible) Monte Cassino scenario :eek:

..or with the men of Repubblica di Salò..

..or with the partigiani..

...or...

...or...

...or...

I can't wait to play CMAK.Stop. :D:D:D

wohoo

Originally posted by Engel:

This is good news, since NA is my other front of interest in addition to Eastern Front. About the availability though; the English version will be available direct from BFC, so does this mean that you won't be able to buy it from retailers in Europe?

That's a bit of a drag, since I don't have a credit card nor do I ever plan to have one (unless some carded Finn would be interested in helping me out).

We are planning to release local versions in retail in Europe as well. So if you prefer that, you'll get it. But even when this happens, we will allow Europeans to order from our website. That was a big beef with CMBB with many of our fans, so we listened.

Martin

Originally posted by aragorn2002:

So no French army in North Africa. Historically not really defendable, but it took me at least half an hour to recover from laughing... :D

Keep in mind that that list of nations is "in progress", as it says on the FAQ page. We'll see what we can do in the given timeframe. However, one thing is certain - CMAK will *not* have every single minor nation that saw combat in one of the three theaters. There were simply too many, and it would take a couple of years alone to research them, let alone record voice files and so on. So let's stay realistic, folks...

Martin

Hi,

“We are planning to release local versions in retail in Europe as well. So if you prefer that, you'll get it. But even when this happens, we will allow Europeans to order from our website. That was a big beef with CMBB with many of our fans, so we listened.”

I think BFC deserve credit for this change of policy. There is no doubt that many felt “excluded” by being forced to buy a slightly different version from the home grown BFC version of CMBB. In fact I had the European version on my Hard Drive for quite a while and was very happy using it. But many clearly did not feel anything other than the BFC version was the real thing.

Allowing Europeans to buy the BFC version of CMAK must cause the odd problem with future European distributors, but Moon has clearly beaten them into submission to the advantage of all :D .

All the best,

Kip.

Originally posted by Moon:

We are planning to release local versions in retail in Europe as well.

I was specifically referring to the English language version, which I gather won't be available from European retail?

Still, I have to look into getting the original vrsion anyway, since I don't much like the insane French/German policy regarding the use of actual correct historical terms and symbols in wargames, and I'd guess any localized Euro versions would suffer from that... the bastards even had the Finnish swastika censored from Il-2: Forgotten Battles, which is akin to sacrilege.

Hey, for those of us that got hooked up on CM with the release of BB (or who lost CM:BO like me) can you guys have a discount purchase option for a combo pack not only of CM:AK and CM:BB, but for CM:AK and CM:BO? Presumably you'll do one for all three together as well...

I wish I'd ordered the CM:BB and CM:BO pack but forgot I'd lost CM:BO. Boohoo.

I had a hunch this would be it, and I can hardly wait. Oftentimes I have felt I was born 25 years too late, and despite the "politics" of saying such a thing, I would have loved being a tanker in the Afrika Korps.

Salutes to you all.

Mike

Engel, sorry, yes, I saw you referred to the english version specifically, and I forgot to answer that. Yes, the english version will also be available in retail. Or at least that's the plan. When we have something definite, there'll be an announcement, rest assured.

Martin

Oh man, this is fantastic for me anyway, my favourite theater!

One caveat though, I really do think that you need to include French forces. Aside from the Free French in the Commonwealth army, the Vichy French would certainly be needed for any Torch scenarios. Can BFC not use the voices from CMBO? I can also imagine that putting something like "blast virtual Frenchmen with your US tank" on the box would give a huge sales boost over there ;)

I would also add that Indian and South African troops were MAJOR players in the Desert War, and I'm afraid IMO definitely need to be included. The equipment is British, so really all that's needed is the voices. I'd like to hear Charl doing the South African ones, especially after he's had a few of his vinos.

One last question, will it be possible to fight the vital East African campaign in Ethiopia around Keren? Crack Italian troops defending high mountain fortresses in 1940. If the Commonwealth hadn't won that then there wouldn't have even been a desert war as the Red Sea would be closed. I'm sure all the equipment/voices will be there anyway, so can we just have the terrain as well?

Any answers appreciated!

Combat Mission: Afrika Korps (CMAK) moves the focus to three new regions of conflict.

North Africa from 1940-43

Italy (including Sicily) from 1943-45

Crete in 1941.

oh great! after getting my arse kicked all over Western Europe and the Eastern Front it can now be kicked all over North Africa, Italy and Crete!

I can hardly wait!! smile.gif

One Request, a tiny thing I hope they list all the Missions in Order by Timeline. My dad and I like to play the Missions as they happened in the War rather than skiping about. If they dont tho, no big deal, its easy to do it yourself smile.gif