New Combat Mission game Announced. Combat Mission: Afrika Korps!!!

Italy, etc, all should work OK as the engine is now, although some of the Gothic line fights might look a little funny, but, for North Africa, I think some extra concerns need looking at:

a)LOS-the prospect of entrenched defenders mowing down countless compaies of attackers over 'flat' terrain with no LOS block dosen't sound too fun at all..I'd like to see improvements in terrain cover, at least to model slight breaks or rises in terrain, and those dust clouds better be LOS blocks, too! Wrecked armor and alive armor would be good to act as LOS blocks and cover, but..don't see it happening.

b)digging in-I'd like to see a new approach to improved positions, as was mentioned before with gun pits, etc..one other big improvement would be dug positions for vehicles that are exitable, or drive up and fire positions..

c)This one gets it's own category: 88's fire from the mount, and are semi-mobile for a change! This one looks small, but, is just too important to pass up.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vehicles making dust could help infentry close with an enemy. Infantry having thier morale bolstered near vehicles might also help.

Infantry must seek dips, low points, reverse slopes as cover. The game, as is, does not do this very well. Pinning should be the most common result to firepower.

arty making dust could help suppress defenders

troops should head towards HQs when under duress. positioning HQs intelligently would then make for realistic conditions. The AI might be programmed to do this also. HQs with stars would then 'suck-in' more stragglers. Troops with 'black-lines' would break, rout, run, the same as they are modeled now in CMBB/CMBO.

sun in the eyes might be modeled. LOS could be angle biased. This means, LOS in a certain direction (angle from above) would be shorter than in other directions. Spotting and identification is then reduced for a defender looking into the sun.

Originally posted by li:

sun in the eyes might be modeled. LOS could be angle biased. This means, LOS in a certain direction (angle from above) would be shorter than in other directions. Spotting and identification is then reduced for a defender looking into the sun.

Even better if time of day was taken into account.

Originally posted by li:

Infantry must seek dips, low points, reverse slopes as cover. The game, as is, does not do this very well. Pinning should be the most common result to firepower.

Oh. I thought that it already taught that remarkably well. And certainly my experience is that being pinned down is very common when I advance my little guys over open ground into firepower.

The challenge, at least in North Africa, will be to find those small folds in the ground in what looks mostly like a pool table. Can't wait!

Originally posted by mch:

a)LOS-the prospect of entrenched defenders mowing down countless compaies of attackers over 'flat' terrain with no LOS block dosen't sound too fun at all...

Instead of asking for wholesale code-rewrites you could, of course, try out the actual solution(s) that was developed during the war ... ;)

Regards

JonS

WHA?! I'm gone for two days to find this!!?

SCH-WEET!!! What a great gift from me to me for X-mas. :D

Now my question is: Will Russian, French, and German players boycot this since it depicts 'mericans in the desert in combat? tongue.gif I wonder if we'll find the Nazi weapons of mass destruction in any of the game's scenarios? :D

You know I'm just playing with you fellas. Right? . . .Fellas? . . .

[ April 06, 2003, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Vader's Jester ]

well it'd be kinda neat to see a Panther VG or a King Tiger go up against a Crusader or a Matilda

or even a Grant (already tried King Tiger's vs. Stuarts in CMBO). Just imagine plinking away

at the King Tiger with a 2 pounder or

that is if the King Tiger doesn't run out of fuel just trying to make it to the front-line.....

hmmm, I wonder if we'll be able to do tank recovery under fire!

Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

SCH-WEET!!! What a great gift from me to me for X-mas. :D

Ditto! :D

Now a couple of points - someone mentioned "there were a few Greeks in Crete" - well there were thousands actually - 3 regiments in the Maleme and Galatas sectors, 3 in the Suda Sector, 2 in hte Herakliion sector - 9000 in all.

Of course most were poorly equipped and ill-trained - but they were there!

And if Crete then why not Greece?

Originally posted by Determinant:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by li:

Oh. I thought that it already taught that remarkably well. And certainly my experience is that being pinned down is very common when I advance my little guys over open ground into firepower.

The challenge, at least in North Africa, will be to find those small folds in the ground in what looks mostly like a pool table. Can't wait! </font>

Originally posted by Wisbech_lad:

As long as you get the ranks correct in the Indian Army, I'm happy smile.gif And turbans for the Sikh regiments please, as shown by the photo of Sikhs in the desert...

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORCES/Army/Images2/0409.jpg

Sepoys, jawans, havildars, naiks oh my.

von Armin surrendered to the Indian army in the end.

Jai Hind!

Could you list them thar links for the benefit of the board? I have a couple of listings, but the correct spellings conflict between sources...

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORCES/Army/Ranks.html

Here you go. Note the difference between cavalry regiments (sowar/daffadar/risaldar) and infantry (sepoy/naik/havildar/subedar)

Complicated because of the existance of VCO/JCO ranks. So, in the British army, a Lt would lead a platoon, in the Indian army, a Lt (or Captain) leads a company, with VCO's (now JCO's) leading platoons

As they say, Jemadar was an alternate for naib risaldar/subedar during WW2

It is the best site on the Indian army I know. Interesting links from it as well.

Originally posted by Wisbech_lad:

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORCES/Army/Ranks.html

Here you go. Note the difference between cavalry regiments (sowar/daffadar/risaldar) and infantry (sepoy/naik/havildar/subedar)

Complicated because of the existance of VCO/JCO ranks. So, in the British army, a Lt would lead a platoon, in the Indian army, a Lt (or Captain) leads a company, with VCO's (now JCO's) leading platoons

As they say, Jemadar was an alternate for naib risaldar/subedar during WW2

It is the best site on the Indian army I know. Interesting links from it as well.

THANKS

Originally posted by Stalin's Organ:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

SCH-WEET!!! What a great gift from me to me for X-mas.

Ditto!

Now a couple of points - someone mentioned "there were a few Greeks in Crete" - well there were thousands actually - 3 regiments in the Maleme and Galatas sectors, 3 in the Suda Sector, 2 in hte Herakliion sector - 9000 in all.

Of course most were poorly equipped and ill-trained - but they were there!

And if Crete then why not Greece? </font>

Originally posted by laxx:

Australians and Kiwis in Combat Mission, hmmm.... most fascinating, now put another shrimp on the barbi.

Nah. No need to bother with the New Zealanders. After all, they were simply bit players and can more than adequately be represented by Aussies. ;) Besides, who would want to have that strange accent on their hard drives where the phrase "enemy at six hundred metres" would have to be "inemy ut sux hindred metres" :confused:

Regards

Jim R.

..Snip..... Besides, who would want to have that strange accent on their hard drives where the phrase "enemy at six hundred metres" would have to be "inemy ut sux hindred metres" :confused:

Regards

Jim R. [/QB]

G'day Jim

LoL ... an Aussie talking about strange accents..

;):D .....

Just a reminder to all Aussie's, Kiwi's, Yank's and Canuk's ... you ALL speak ENGLISH with an accent ;) ... we on the other hand just speak English ! :D