New Combat Mission game Announced. Combat Mission: Afrika Korps!!!

Originally posted by Lou2000:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />..Snip..... Besides, who would want to have that strange accent on their hard drives where the phrase "enemy at six hundred metres" would have to be "inemy ut sux hindred metres" :confused:

Regards

Jim R.

G'day Jim

LoL ... an Aussie talking about strange accents..

;):D .....

Just a reminder to all Aussie's, Kiwi's, Yank's and Canuk's ... you ALL speak ENGLISH with an accent ;) ... we on the other hand just speak English ! :D [/QB]</font>

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Referring to the difficulty of attacking with infantry, JonS wrote,

“Instead of asking for wholesale code-rewrites you could, of course, try out the actual solution(s) that was developed during the war ...”

I could not agree more. I think the CMBB engine models the problems of attacking with infantry very well. One solution, in part, is take it slowly.

Anyway… on a more general point. Given that BFC are developing the new engine, CMX2, concurrently with CMAK I think it would be unreasonable to ask for more than the odd minor tweak in the coding when comparing CMAK to CMBB. My view is that we are very lucky that BFC have found the time to give us one more version with the current engine, with the new engine version only about six to nine months behind CMAK. Of course, it means bucket-loads more dosh for BFC smile.gif , but also what I regard as a bonus game for us fans of CM :D .

All the best,

Kip.

Echo writes "same tired engine..."

Is this the same game engine I'm playing on? The only thing tired about CMBB is ME after playing all night! Some people won't be happy until it's been 'fixed' to the point that it's unplayable!

I'm really looking forward to CMAK (pronounced "smack!")

[ April 07, 2003, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Echo writes "same tired engine..."

Is this the same game engine I'm playing on? The only thing tired about CMBB is ME after playing all night! Some people won't be happy until it's been 'fixed' to the point that it's unplayable!

I'm really looking forward to CMAK (pronounced "smack!")

"CMAK (pronounced "smack!")"

I always KNEW they were peddling some addictive substance and now they have the balls to come right out and admit it.

Great strategy

first they give out the SMAK demo for free

Sure you try it.... you like :D

then next thing you know you have to BUY it

Sure its only US $45.00

BUT how much does it REALLY cost you?

(time wise) :eek: :D

Clever these folks VERY clever

I may jsut have to pass on this NEXT SMACK release I think I have my hands full now with CMBB and CMBO :(

CMAK = SMACK very clever!

-tom w

Yeah! We get to go to the Med! Admittedly, though I was hoping that the Mediterranean theater would not be visited until the new engine was finished.

Does anyone have any suggested reading on the battles for North Africa? Specifically something covering the Axis & French sides, and a few that give a good account of the battles between the Germans and British in 41-42. I am currently reading Rick Atkinsons An Army at Dawn, Northwest Africa: Seizing the inititive in the west, and Rommel: The Trail of the Fox by David Irving (I didn't know about Irvings slant before I bought it though). Thanks in advance.

[ April 08, 2003, 04:17 AM: Message edited by: DBaron ]

Fool me once shame on me fool me twice...NEVER!!!

The patch is not fixing much but during the installation I noticed the real problem.The exe (which is the program everything else is just bmps and sound and some connecting stuff.)That is only 7m?!?No wonder the AI is so bad(I and i refer to the tac AI not just the AI as opponent,cause thats just pathetic.For hopeless fan boys who want to play with their tanks models maybe you should get into the rc kits.But this game is a true a simulation as is the Iraqi MOI claims that no US troops are in Baghdad.Sad so sad.Nice models(oh wait those are mostly modeled by the fan boys).Must we do it all for you?So you can go on more oversea vacations to do "research".If your penetration models were so spot on what do you keep changing em?Yea no need to respond.I've removed the game(I mean the bmps and sounds:p)from my hard drive.If anyone wants a used extra copy(or for a friend),I've one available at 25 dollars US(includes shipping).Just send an email and you can have it.Oh and I can't go without noting the attidude of the developers.NO I said NO,NO we won't!Just send us money for the tank model directory oh I mean game..... :mad:

[ April 08, 2003, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: Richard K Shows ]

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by laxx:

Australians and Kiwis in Combat Mission, hmmm.... most fascinating, now put another shrimp on the barbi.

Nah. No need to bother with the New Zealanders. After all, they were simply bit players and can more than adequately be represented by Aussies. ;) </font>

I sure hope we'll see the French represented, they'll add some colour :

- dastard Vichy forces (eager to switch loyalties)

- Veterans from the foreign legion

- Colonial troops, Moroccans, Algerians, (who showed great bravery in Cassino)

same goes for Indian troops, light vehicle raids against enemy depots, etc. But for history's sake, NO heavy german tanks :rolleyes:

I'm not aware of a single Tiger making it to the Afrika Korps (but I could be mistaken)

However, it's always possible to build 'what if' scenarios

a very fun one would be land operations in Britain in 1940, => if the battle of britain had been lost, and the operation 'sea lion', the landing of german troops, had happened.

No I'm not nor will ever(not that I'd like to see a game worth such)a fanboy of any computer game much less a feeble attempt at a tac wargame.Sorry to step on your feelings but no other COMPUTER wargame is even close to cmbb(yea the best)but just broken and I refuse to pay for same different front.Nuff said?well should be.And don't even think Ive not played it much.I and neighbor have gone twice through war one week at a time thats around 500 battles and we both were sad at the results we kept hoping for fixes but we see now that new games not fixes are more important...It's very sad...I'm done but I wish it wasn't so...

[ April 08, 2003, 06:28 AM: Message edited by: Richard K Shows ]

Of course it's a marketing decision - the AK is the single most recognisable formation of hte Mediterranian war from all sides.

IIRC no Tigers reached the AK - but they did reach, and fight in, Tunisia, much to the discomfort of the rather green US infantry - (in)famously at Kasserine pass.

The Afrika Korps, was, of course, only a part of the Axis army in Nth Africa, and comprised of specific units - IIRC 15th & 21st panzer divisions (the 21st was earlier the 5th Light Division?).

All other units, such as the 90th light division, and Ramcke Brigade and later formations were part of Panzer Armee Afrika (PAK), along with various Italian units.

Rommel never actually commanded the DAK (Deutch Afrika Korps) - he was the overall commander of the PAK.

One thing about the African campaign is that there's NO doubt about what equipment was used and when....well almost none - no doubt grogs will find a bit to argue about! smile.gif

Originally posted by Stalin's Organ:

Of course it's a marketing decision - the AK is the single most recognisable formation of hte Mediterranian war from all sides.

Maybe where you are, but I think a lot of people probably remember the Desert Rats just as well and they did see action in Sicily as well smile.gif . Still plucky losers are always popular.

One word... Thanks ! !

I was waiting for that one smile.gif I got some scenario I'll like to adapt from Rapid Fire... I will do so...

Originally posted by Thin Red Line:

Thank you BFC, this is great news !

I sincerely hope the French (The foreign Legion esp.) will be included. For historical accuracy purposes.

Regards

N

I hope too... for the same reason...

I also hope development time schedule will permit to include other nations. I know you will do your best... ;)

Awaiting for CMAK!!

--------------------------------------------------

Take time to visit the french web site...

Appui-Feu: Le site francophone pour les passionnés de Combat Mission

Hi all,

Well, besides someone who woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, I am happy to see the responses for you all. Just to clarify two things:

1. The French were accidentally left off the list. We are planning on including Free French forces. Always were too. Just an oversight when typing up the webpages. Vichy French are on the back burner since it might prove more work than it is worth (their time was short and not all that worthy of CM sized battles)

2. We chose "Afrika Korps" because after many months of trying to find something better, we gave up :D The more representational names sounded dull and boring or kludged. This one is nice and simple, plus the PR value of it is not lost on us smile.gif We doubt that many gamers would be more interested in Italy than North Africa, therefore if we have to err we should err on the side of NA.

Steve

THe more and more i think about this game the more fun i think it's going ot be.

I must admit i was a tad worrried that it is going to cost less, so i assumed less would be in the game, but then i realised this is one game company that does'nt cut corners and try and milk the cash cow .(civ3 play the world anyone?)

I guess i'm too accustomed to good games putting out a sequals that are not so good.

I for on am very much looking forward to Axis vs Allies in Italy.