2022 Mid Year Update

On 1/9/2023 at 1:21 AM, Simcoe said:

What is everyone most looking forward to in 2023?

Realistic options:

- Most important: update on the handling of artillery in game, for FOs to be able to call for artillery even when no line of sight,

- The CMBS module, preferably with the MPF vehicle in it.

- More realistic widespread use of TRPs in scenarios. Every FO will produce some when able, both in offense and defense.

Less realistic options:

- Israelis in one of the modern games. Would love to see some Merkavas, Namers and Eitans in Combat Mission

59 minutes ago, BarendJanNL said:

- More realistic widespread use of TRPs in scenarios. Every FO will produce some when able, both in offense and defense.

There's often a reason why they aren't more widespread and it usually comes down to scenario balance particularly in human vs AI games.  A human player can often thrash the AI in a heartbeat if they get given a bunch of TRPs which then makes the scenario a pretty unchallenging and unrewarding experience.

1 minute ago, chaos49 said:

think we got  PBEM++ and Tournament systems as the only thing in 2022

And the RT battle pack if you do WW2 as well.  And it is excellent (thanks @George MC).

Looking back at @Battlefront.com's (Steve's) original post in this thread, in addition to what I wrote above, there was also a CMFI battle pack incoming, which would extend my WW2 'upcoming' list to:

• CMBN battlepack
  • CMFB Commonwealth / Later timescale module
  • CMFI battle pack

For those of the other persuasion, work an a CMCW module was also mentioned.

Of course things may have moved on or changed since then but I think at least a couple of the above are progressing.

7 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

And the RT battle pack if you do WW2 as well.  And it is excellent (thanks @George MC).

Looking back at @Battlefront.com's (Steve's) original post in this thread, in addition to what I wrote above, there was also a CMFI battle pack incoming, which would extend my WW2 'upcoming' list to:

• CMBN battlepack
  • CMFB Commonwealth / Later timescale module
  • CMFI battle pack

For those of the other persuasion, work an a CMCW module was also mentioned.

Of course things may have moved on or changed since then but I think at least a couple of the above are progressing.

All welcomes !

Cheers

7 hours ago, BarendJanNL said:

Realistic options:

- Most important: update on the handling of artillery in game, for FOs to be able to call for artillery even when no line of sight,

- The CMBS module, preferably with the MPF vehicle in it.

Less realistic options:

- Israelis in one of the modern games. Would love to see some Merkavas, Namers and Eitans in Combat Mission

I still think the Yom Kippur war would be such an easy module to create. All the assets are already created in other games. 

New current game engine version to make better use of current computers  I’m hoping that will make playing on my MacBook Air (particularly CMCW, which I have given up on given can’t see key terrain features on maps) better. Not just faster but more detail too.   

Introduce pbem ++ and tournament system to macs 

Completely new combat mission game. 

CMCW British forces. 

5 hours ago, Simcoe said:

I still think the Yom Kippur war would be such an easy module to create. All the assets are already created in other games. 

Exactly, I think we have already "enough materials" in all CM's untill now to created something "acceptable and realist" for this period, just having some interresting peoples that are able to swap some vehicles and uniforms.

Cheers

48 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

Exactly, I think we have already "enough materials" in all CM's untill now to created something "acceptable and realist" for this period, just having some interresting peoples that are able to swap some vehicles and uniforms.

Cheers

There would be a great mix of Arab  and Israeli assaults across open desert and small infantry actions with special forces. The Arab campaigns could follow both Syria and Egypt in the opening assaults. Israeli campaigns could follow the Sinai counter attacks. 

1 hour ago, Aragorn2002 said:

NATO module. "And nothing else matters..."

Yeah would be very nice, but I would be surprised if we get that this year.

CM:FB Commonwealth module 10/44-05/45 is already three years in the making. That one hopefully will get out of the door this year. Fingers crossed.

53 minutes ago, DesertFox said:

Yeah would be very nice, but I would be surprised if we get that this year.

CM:FB Commonwealth module 10/44-05/45 is already three years in the making. That one hopefully will get out of the door this year. Fingers crossed.

Rather annoying that we always have to wait and speculate.

6 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Rather annoying that we always have to wait and speculate.

Yep, thats true. On the other hand it has been like this for more than ten years now. I happily play Fire+Rubble and the new scenario pack until then. I´d like to have BAOR and german Leopards in CM:CW like yesterday, but until it arrives: Patience is a virtue.

14 minutes ago, DesertFox said:

Yep, thats true. On the other hand it has been like this for more than ten years now. I happily play Fire+Rubble and the new scenario pack until then. I´d like to have BAOR and german Leopards in CM:CW like yesterday, but until it arrives: Patience is a virtue.

Und so ist es. 🙂

On 1/10/2023 at 5:12 AM, BarendJanNL said:

This is one of my pet requests. I would like the ability to call fire on a map coordinate, and if there is no line of sight, then it's a FFE mission and while it will hit the grid location accurately (after all, the FO and the FDC are using the same map, so the rounds should hit what he asked for), the effects will be unknown to the friendly side since there is no LOS. That's fine. It mimics reality.  No need to get fancy with entering coordinates. The current FO call line works fine, just that inside the game a different behavior is used if there is no LOS from FO to target. This would allow firing on a tentative contact, for example, you know the enemy is expected to have armor, and you get a couple of sound contact behind a treeline or just over a rise, where you can't see. 

Doesn't need to be TRPs. TRPs main advantage is faster response time. For TRPs the battery FDC will have already calculated firing data, and needs only to send it to the guns. 

Dave