Welcome to West Germany

Pete Wenman

Top picture. We were on an ARTEP at Ft. Campbell, KY. Had to go into MOPP4 for the whole night. It was about 10F with howling wind and snow flurries. Never been so happy to don the "sauna suit and fly face"  They gave the all clear and no one wanted to get out of MOPP. The sad sacks who were selected for the shower decor, though - we felt for them, just not enough to volunteer to take their place. 🙂

Dave

In the late 70s when I was a young teen I used to go with my step dad who was a civvy recovery driver for REME in his big ol' slow scammel truck to pick up all he broken vehicles at Harwich returning from exercises on the continent on commandeered ferries. I used to scavange for combo rations to help feed the family, and kit hidden in the depths of the vehicles.  Kit i.e. sleeping bags, NBC, combat jackets trousers etc, whatever the condition could be exchanged at the garrison quartermasters stores for new! quite a racket. I remember he was on old bloke who enjoyed camp coffee with condensed milk. and as an air cadet at the time we were quite well equipped paramilitary force of teens.

Later on in early 80s when in the 6th form volunteered for Royal Observer Corps and had a cushty command bunker and snazzy RAF type uniform and practiced aircraft identifcation esp the types that dropped big bombs, learnt how to stick a roll of paper up a tube hight above to detect the direction any nuclear bomb might go off, and use a teletype to report such events up the chain.   Soon realised that Colchester, Harwich and surrounding US airbases were likely targets if things went up, so enjoyed the parties where I was introduced to spirits! It beat protesting against the bomb...

2 hours ago, Wicky said:

and as an air cadet at the time we were quite well equipped paramilitary force of teens.

I was never in the army, nor was the army around much. But there appeared a sorting center for cold war military clothing and gear in this town around 1990. There were very interesting things there, even in the waste heap. Like ranks, emblems, instruction books, trifolds, training desinfectants for chemical warfare, gasmasks, helmets, portable cooker fuel tablets etc. In my early teens I played around in the park wearing the emblem of "Regiment Stoottroepen" (assault troops) and the rank of Major on my shoulders. Good times.

Edited by Kevin2k

47 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Most BF customers are American, so you can't blame them.

Is it it really so? It would be interesting to have a peak over the actual sales' statistics.

PS: thanks a lots for sharing your memories Wenman et al.

Edited by CMFDR

10 minutes ago, CMFDR said:

Is it it really so? It would be interesting to have a peak over the actual sales' statistics.

PS: thanks a lots for sharing your memories Wenman et al.

Not sure, but I recall that has been stated. Why else does every base game start with US units?

Edited by Aragorn2002

1 hour ago, Soldat-Hans said:

Very sad, that there is no german Army of both sides ingame.

Patience, good sir, there will undoubtedly be a NATO and Warsaw Pact modules. I think this surprise release’s popularity will outshine all previous BFC titles, and I’m speaking as a guy who was never a “Fula Gap” “Cold War Gone Hot” fan (mainly because I could never see how such a conflict could ever not go nuclear). After seeing the potential of the types of forces, battles, and equipment available, and BFCs declaration that this is meant to be a sandbox for innumerable scenarios over a 3 year period, with more expansions to come, we are likely going to see many, many modules for CMCW.

Edited by mjkerner