Walking Away

Bought  a full set of CM:BN last week.  It looks as if I will not be playing this.  Exactly as I feared, the upgrade from CMx1 consists of greatly improved graphics, that's it.  In fact, the graphics eat the game.  The maximum size of a battle is much smaller.  I am looking for a simulation of World War II combined arms combat at the tactical level, one which will allow me to play h2h without both sides able to have complete knowledge of the opponents' force, in a WeGo system.  Also a system that will make having actual WW II force compositions a winning approach.  The purchase values of units for QBs are still cockeyed.  If the purchase values of units for QBs reflects relative combat capability, then StuGs are unit for unit much better than PzKw IVs... except that they are not.  Apparently there is no cost reduction for not having a turret, so it is pointless to buy any of the Stugs or Jagdpanzers unless you know already that you have an enormous flat unobstructed battlefield.

I will keep checking back and hoping that the game will be modified for realism, but am so disappointed that I do not think I can bring myself to play enough of this to contribute to those improvements.

2 hours ago, Extraordinarius said:

Bought  a full set of CM:BN last week.  It looks as if I will not be playing this.  Exactly as I feared, the upgrade from CMx1 consists of greatly improved graphics, that's it.  In fact, the graphics eat the game.  The maximum size of a battle is much smaller.  I am looking for a simulation of World War II combined arms combat at the tactical level, one which will allow me to play h2h without both sides able to have complete knowledge of the opponents' force, in a WeGo system.  Also a system that will make having actual WW II force compositions a winning approach.  The purchase values of units for QBs are still cockeyed.  If the purchase values of units for QBs reflects relative combat capability, then StuGs are unit for unit much better than PzKw IVs... except that they are not.  Apparently there is no cost reduction for not having a turret, so it is pointless to buy any of the Stugs or Jagdpanzers unless you know already that you have an enormous flat unobstructed battlefield.

I will keep checking back and hoping that the game will be modified for realism, but am so disappointed that I do not think I can bring myself to play enough of this to contribute to those improvements.

Yes, since CMx2 Combat System is 1:1 games would appear a little smaller compared to CMx1...Your not moving Computer ASL Squad Counters anymore. Many people still play at the Battalion level in CMX2, thou I prefer up to reinforced Company size engagements.

Yeah, using your logic, since Axis Armor is relatively scarce compared to Allied Armor in RL, then it should cost twice as much. 

in QB's there's an option for the Computer to choose Formations for both sides, which means both sides wont know what the other side has. 

6 hours ago, Extraordinarius said:

The purchase values of units for QBs are still cockeyed.  If the purchase values of units for QBs reflects relative combat capability, then StuGs are unit for unit much better than PzKw IVs... except that they are not.  Apparently there is no cost reduction for not having a turret

Currently, it's quite difficult for the player to actually benefit from having a tank with a turret, in that there is no dedicated turret facing command.

This means that if you want your tank to drive forward while facing the turret towards a threat on the right, you need to do a covered arc command. This makes the tank turn the turret, but it also forbids it from firing at anything outside the arc. So if you mis-estimate where the enemy tank is, just by a tiny amount, then it could end up outside the arc, which means your tank is just going to sit there for up to one minute without firing at an obvious target.

Even if you get it right and you destroy the enemy tank, there might be an AT equipped infantry squad close by (but outside the target arc), which makes it likely that your tank will not engage them.

In short, I think the reason the Panzer IV is cheaper than the Stug because it has worse armour, higher profile, and because its turret is not a major advantage (in this game).

This thread is quite funny, since the main gripe about CMBN I have been reading on these forums the past six years is from people complaining that it is not just CMx1 with "greatly improved graphics".

May I suggest that you give it more than a week before walking away in anger?

Edited by umlaut

You're not going to find a game anywhere with better TOE and ballistics/effects and "soft" factors being simulated.

I don't know what point values you're looking at for your comparison between a StuG and PzIV. (I'm not being obtuse, I really just don't know them off hand...and they are highly variable based on dates and other factors.) Post the numbers. Thanks.

Use Iron mode and neither side will have any intel on the other side unless they gain it via contact.

If you really want realistic combined arms, and don't like the QB selector's points, ignore the points and build the forces you want. See how they do. Or use the editor and never look at points.

Ken

4 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

...you need to do a covered arc command. This makes the tank turn the turret, but it also forbids it from firing at anything outside the arc. So if you mis-estimate where the enemy tank is, just by a tiny amount, then it could end up outside the arc, which means your tank is just going to sit there for up to one minute without firing at an obvious target.

I give them broad arcs (like more than 120°) as well as trying to ensure that the arc will include likely locations for threats to hide and have never had a problem with that.

Michael

11 hours ago, Extraordinarius said:

I am looking for a simulation of World War II combined arms combat at the tactical level, one which will allow me to play h2h without both sides able to have complete knowledge of the opponents' force, in a WeGo system.  Also a system that will make having actual WW II force compositions a winning approach. 

You have just described above very succinctly CMx2!

The nice side of me would advise you to keep playing and you will learn to appreciate the vast improvements CMx2 has over CMx1 :)

The nasty side of me thinks that after such a complete bull**** second ever post of yours, yes walk away (fast) and please never never return!

Edited by Kuderian
grammar

5 hours ago, Kuderian said:

The nasty side of me thinks that after such a complete bull**** second ever post of yours, yes walk away (fast) and please never never return!

I agree.

16 hours ago, Extraordinarius said:

Exactly as I feared, the upgrade from CMx1 consists of greatly improved graphics, that's it.

Really?
There's literally nothing else improved about anything whatsoever?
Not even a tiny little bit?
That's awful. ;)

Each to their own, I guess.

There are lots of computer games I've tried and hated, or tried and got bored with, but there's only one I've loved since the first time I tried it - what was that demo? Valley of trouble??

I've been an addict ever since, and each version and upgrade just gets better...

...except Black Sea, that was too hard for me. Everything keeps exploding...

On 4/22/2017 at 3:36 PM, Freyberg said:

Good match for real life. The mantra when I was in the Army was always - "If you can be seen you WILL be hit. If you are hit, you WILL be dead"  And that was some years ago. Weapons systems are even more deadly and accurate now.

On 4/22/2017 at 2:36 PM, Freyberg said:

Each to their own, I guess. I've been an addict ever since, and each version and upgrade just gets better...

:D Explodes quickly. Happens a lot in Black Sea but I enjoy all the New Modern equipment features especially playing Real Time ?

1 hour ago, Ultradave said:

"If you can be seen you WILL be hit. If you are hit, you WILL be dead"  And that was some years ago. Weapons systems are even more deadly and accurate now.

:) Black Sea has the the Army mantra dialed in well in my opinion.

Buzz