RT Unofficial Screenshot Thread

I'm wondering why Germans didn't make Tiger I frontal armor thicker in later variants.

They did, sort'a. They halted production by mid-44 (2 year run) and continued to build Tiger II. Heck, the Panther was very nearly considered a replacement for Tiger I. What saved it was the large stockpile of 88 ammo they had to burn through first.

And I really liked the video. If that was from another game we'd by crying "Why can't CM look that good?" ;)

They did, sort'a. They halted production by mid-44 (2 year run) and continued to build Tiger II. Heck, the Panther was very nearly considered a replacement for Tiger I. What saved it was the large stockpile of 88 ammo they had to burn through first.

And I really liked the video. If that was from another game we'd by crying "Why can't CM look that good?" ;)

I wonder why they just did not improve the Engine and transmission.. then up armored it. They were into large things... I guess trying to improve it was maybe to hasty, or they thought the Tiger II would be that much better...

Although I love the Tiger II, I think I would have improved the Tiger 1, and kept the extra material... but it is amazing at what the Germans could muster while they were getting bombed day and night, and attacked from all sides.

I recall that Tiger I was an amazing resource hog to construct and grotesquely expensive. For the man hours that it took to produce one Tiger I the Russians built a veritable fleet of ISU-152s. Didn't Tiger I, Panther and Tiger II all use the same engine? I'm to lazy to get up and look at my references tonight. ;)

I wonder why they just did not improve the Engine and transmission.. then up armored it. They were into large things... I guess trying to improve it was maybe to hasty, or they thought the Tiger II would be that much better...

Although I love the Tiger II, I think I would have improved the Tiger 1, and kept the extra material... but it is amazing at what the Germans could muster while they were getting bombed day and night, and attacked from all sides.

I often wondered why they didn't just retrofit their PzIV's with sloped frontal armour and other stuff like that.

But, I'm no tank engineer so I have no clue what that would take.

Seems like a no-brainer tho.

I haven't seen the vid and so haven't given it a thumbs down...yet. And I am open to bribery.

:D

Michael

Well, I'm unemployed so I can't bribe you with much... but hugs are always free :D

I recall that Tiger I was an amazing resource hog to construct and grotesquely expensive. For the man hours that it took to produce one Tiger I the Russians built a veritable fleet of ISU-152s. Didn't Tiger I, Panther and Tiger II all use the same engine? I'm to lazy to get up and look at my references tonight. ;)

The Tiger I, I believe started with an Aluminum Engine HL 210 (600ho)and after a run of about 200 or so tanks it was replaced with the Maybach HL 230 P30 (700hp). This engine replaced the aluminum one as it was cast iron and was in service with the Tiger I, Tiger II and Panther (which was a lot lighter obviously).

It is interesting that although the Tiger was expensive, about 2.5 Pz IV tanks or 4 Stug III's. I know they had streamlined production more by the time of the Panther so the costs were releatively the same between a Panther and Pz IV.

I normally have other sources but this wiki source on production figures is pretty right on.. and disseminates annual production figures. As you can see, Germany really did not start War Production until 1943.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_armored_fighting_vehicle_production_during_World_War_II

Yes nice video! The distance was really short, but the 122mm punches a lot.

I later did the exact same map with Panthers vs. T-34-85's (because for some reason the random map function doesn't want to work for quickbattles) and the panthers didn't punch through the T-34's with any regularity from even half that distance :)

(got the panthers over the marshes so they were almost point blank)

I later did the exact same map with Panthers vs. T-34-85's (because for some reason the random map function doesn't want to work for quickbattles) and the panthers didn't punch through the T-34's with any regularity from even half that distance :)

(got the panthers over the marshes so they were almost point blank)

It probably shouldn't come as a surprise that a lesser (75 L/70 < 122 L/45) gun doesn't do as well against better armour (T-34 >>> PzIV) ...

It probably shouldn't come as a surprise that a lesser (75 L/70 < 122 L/45) gun doesn't do as well against better armour (T-34 >>> PzIV) ...

Well yeah, but I was just adressing the "it's pretty short range" comment :)

Range has nothing to do with it, that gun just likes to punch big holes through everything :P

Nice video! So far the only time I enjoyed those tanks/guns is in the tutorial campaign.

*** Soviet Campaign SPOILER ***

Am currently fighting the Soviet campaign. First battle cost me weeks, now the third is of similar scale :D Only SU-76's in support until now. I enjoy those large scale, almost sadomasochistic, battles but only the time (!) necessary to play one.

It's a good thing my first CMRT PBEM has finally come to start after hardware problems on my opponents side. Got my first CMRT H2H kills with smg infantry riding on t-34's in proper soviet doctrine fashion. Davai davai davai! :)

Dank u wel, mijn vriend.

Are you sure you're in Pitrovsk? The only waitress I can recall was Olga The Slinger of Borscht. Of course, drink enough vodka and anyone is bound to look desirable, even our Ole Pal Josef.

Your girlfriend says: "Better be home before the snowflakes fly." Don't worry. I'll keep an eye on her for you.

Hanse

Hi Juju

Thanks for the card. What a beautiful and peaceful looking town. Looks like the perfect place to relax and get away from the war.

I just remembered that I have a distant uncle there, mr. Buzunov. Perhaps you know him? I think I´ll pay him a visit soon, I don´t think he gets many visitors.

See you

:)