Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Big announcement... Battlefront is now Slitherine

Just now, Hmrd said:

This may have been addressed already and I didn't see it in the prior posts.

I have 5 diff CM games all current versions. I purchased and downloaded all of them from steam. Is there anything i need to do regarding the change ?

Also, will i still be able to obtain future games just from steam as i have with my current games ?

Thanks

There is nothing that you need to do. And you wil be able to purchase future content on Steam. 

7 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Excellent, thank you very much for your answers.

Thing is that then you get stuck with Steam. You’ll have to use Steam for ever - it does not give standalone games or DLC. Steam is always to run in the background. That’s why I am avoiding Steam at all cost. Only using when no other distributors.

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

There were new artists and coders. Some names we all know and some we don't. But there were only 2 names in the Game Designers list. Steve and Chris. That told me everything I needed to know.

Extremely comforting to hear. Why change what has worked so well? I still go back and watch Chris's YouTube / Twitch videos sometimes, just because of the amount of random CM2 engine-related wisdom he'd just casually drop. Making all that content had to be its own type of battle but I'm sure glad it exists.

Is it still too early to speculate about whether CM3's first installment will be a WW2 battlefield or a modern one?!? (No hints expected, actually. Just too giddy over the thought of a new engine to contain my imagination.)

Edited by sttp

17 minutes ago, Albert DuBalay said:

Thing is that then you get stuck with Steam. You’ll have to use Steam for ever - it does not give standalone games or DLC

You can say the same thing about BFC's of any independent company DRM.  Steam is a lot more flexible in letting you bring other non-Steam purchased games and DLC into Steam.

And I agree on buying from the independent company to get more flexibility.  But has only been like for the last few years.

In 10 , 15 years it will be on GoG. Win Win. Something to look forward to play during postnuclear winter/ zombie apocalypse. I volunteer first on the elec generating cycle.

Hence, Steve , optimisation is so important. You had to assume that at some point CM will have to be able to run on potato. 

Edited by Spinoza

1 hour ago, Redwolf said:

Yeah, it is generally smarter to buy the Matrix/Slitherine version. Because then you have both the Matrix installer and Steam.

If you buy on Steam you only have Steam.

And like most other things, buying direct from the publisher is always better in terms of financially supporting the people that make the games.  Steam takes a pretty good chunk of each sale they make while not providing much back extra value on a per purchase basis.  Steam's value comes to the publisher/developer in the from volume sales.

Steve

Glad to read that CM is not changing its formula and continues to optimize its assets.

CM's strength is to offer us a one-minute cinema sequence of which we are the director. With the improvement of the engine, we have gone from imagination with playmobiles, to sound and visual immersion with CMx2. With Unity we will be in contemplation. I hope you will not get tired of remaking games on the 2nd GM, because I am waiting for them as a priority.

Even if CMx2 is still far from current standards, your 3D and 2D teams do an excellent job with the constraints of the engine. The visual aspect has been consistent since the beginning, their work is full of tricks bypassing the limits of the engine. It is often these small teams of developers bridled by constraints who are the most creative and competent. 

I have a good image of the company Slitherine/Matrix. I sometimes followed their "tea time" conference when they talked about CM. I had the opportunity to exchange with them during the Shock Force invitational tournament, and their technical support was responsive when I encountered a problem because of their servers. Only one criticism : visually, I don't like their website at all, I preferred the BF.C website. Slitherine/Matrix takes Steam as its model, but it works for Steam because the platform sells a very wide range of genres, while Slitherine specializes in story games. A user interface with a warmer color palette,  would be more in line with the universe of the games, but especially not these electric greens, rather olive green for example. For the pages presenting the DLC, they should use the logos that you had already created for each module. On the positive side, the illustrations for CM games are cool, especially those of FI, RT and FB.

My wish list for CMx3:

• Vehicle wrecks. A little more than the impact hole, and the lowered gun, especially when the vehicle is in a big hole hit by a bomb of several kilos. Without going as far as gore, I don't know how you envision the visual effect of the flamethrower on the infantry, but sometimes a little abstraction is useful, so don't change anything :)
  • A better modeling of the soldier: the bent arms are too long. When the soldier runs, his elbows go down almost to the thighs, except the elbows are at the waist level.
  • A little more ragdoll.
  • A better animation for soldiers in motion with the "hunt" command.
  • A better dispersion of soldiers in motion.
  • Black soldiers for Buffalo Division.
  • Special effects for shells falling in water or snow.
  • Special effects for bullet impacts on the ground, on walls. Results of shots on the facades of buildings in real time. Windows breaking, for example.
  • A special effect for fires. An improvement of the smoke special effect, put an end to the smoke columns.
  • Traces of the passage of an armored vehicle in the snow, sand, muddy ground, fields and tall grass.
  • Animation of walls, barriers, wooden objects, and trees crushed by a heavy tank.
  • Sidewalks in cities, stairs. More abandoned civilian vehicles, trucks, trams, trains in stations. Emblematic buildings of Paris (Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Louvre, quays) and Berlin (Reishtag, the Brandenburg Gate, Gendarmenmarkt square). More visual elements to represent the interior of factories, I am of course thinking of Stalingrad. Better modeling of cities destroyed by artillery. Women civilians.
  • Dressing the interior of houses with a few objects, tables, wardrobes, beds.
  • Real trenches and foxholes.
  • Shots stopped by friendly vehicles. Thus, soldiers can protect themselves behind the wrecks of enemy vehicles.
  • The animated sequence of a WWII tank firing should logically follow the steps: the turret turns its gun towards its target, the crew calculates the distances, aims, then fires. The animation sequence in CM reverses everything: the tank sees the target but doesn't turn the turret, despite everything the crew seems to calculate the target, aim at it without aligning the target with cannon, then as soon as the turret turns its cannon towards the target, the shot is almost instantaneous.
  • A view a little closer to the ground to better appreciate the reliefs, and thus be closer to the soldiers, would be welcome. This is why it is necessary to remain attentive to the details of the 3D/2D model of the soldier, because the player becomes attached to him, experiencing a phenomenon specific to cinema and any story: identification with the character/hero. I really appreciate historical scenarios with the real names of the officers as in the last Battlepack of BN.

CM will become a must-have for a wider audience !

Edited by laurent 22

On 8/30/2024 at 8:55 AM, Sigwolf said:

Command Ops 2 is not on Matrix, to the best of my knowledge.  When they terminated with LnL, Dave said he was distributing it solely through Steam.  He is doing support through the Steam forums and a Discord server at this time.  The LnL forum was left up for reference.

Senior moment. I did mean Steam.

As a Mac user, I have bought all my games directly from Battlefront and even have physical CD copies of the some of games and early game manuals. How will future Mac versions of the game be sold ? Directly from Slitherine as a download as I have previously done with a activation key or will it have to be via Steam ?

I am not familiar with Steam for Macs.

1 hour ago, dontpanic! said:

As a Mac user, I have bought all my games directly from Battlefront and even have physical CD copies of the some of games and early game manuals. How will future Mac versions of the game be sold ? Directly from Slitherine as a download as I have previously done with a activation key or will it have to be via Steam ?

I am not familiar with Steam for Macs.

From my understanding of all previous posts on that matter, Mac users keep their BF serial numbers and activation keys for now. The way new Mac versions will be distributed by Slitherine remains to be figured out. Good news is that there will be new Mac versions. 

If you feel doing so using your current serial number on Slithering site will give you 'free' access to the Windows version. 

I was (and still am) of the CM1 series from back in early 2000s and when CMBN, CMFI and CMRT came out in 2011, 2012 and 2014, as well the Commonwealth pack and Gustave Line, I bought both Mac and PC versions even though I don't even own a PC. This was in case I ever needed to play CM2 on a PC. So I actually have activation codes for PC versions too except I have never installed them nor played them.

ha ha...call me a completes of just paranoid the Mac support will end 🙂

7 hours ago, chocice said:

Soooo, If and when new games come out / are released, we won't be able to purchase direct from Battlefront.com?

We would need to go through Slitherine now, am i right in thinking this, or just confusing matters??

there won't be a battlefront.com

actually there isn't now....

try going to battlefront.com.  😛

Edited by sburke

6 hours ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

Once you go through the redirect, you end up at...Battlefront.com.

you might want to check the FAQ rather than talk semantics.

What Happens to the Battlefront Store & Website?
The Battlefront store and website will be retired.

There is no reason for us to support multiple payment systems, so it saves time and money to move everyone across to the Slitherine store or Steam if you prefer. The website and support systems will also be closed and moved across to Slitherine.

What Happens to My Battlefront Account?
The Battlefront accounts will continue to be accessible, and you will be able to see all your previous purchases and the download links, but as the store will be closed, all new purchases would have to be in the Slitherine or Steam store.

I think that is pretty clear response to the original question which was 

Soooo, If and when new games come out / are released, we won't be able to purchase direct from Battlefront.com?

1 hour ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

Wow, guess you have to put a smiley face on everything now.

well...maybe not everything.  The wife didn't think it was so funny when i... oh wait never mind.  Gotta keep remembering when i am using the outside voice...

Well, I bought BP 2 Utah Beach at Slitherine, but couldn't download it yesterday. Apart from that the price at Slitherine is not that of Steam (which has a discount).

I hate their 'I'm not a robot' pictures.

Edit: I can download my purchase today.

Edited by Aragorn2002

20 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Anyone else having trouble logging into their battlefront.com account?

Just tried but it was not linked to Slitherine but Steam. No problems logging in to Battlefront. If I want to buy a new game I need to use Steam. 

Edited by chuckdyke