How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

2 hours ago, Huba said:

Time to combat-prove some of our gear:

Here's the most interesting thing about this news... we didn't see it ahead of time.  Not only did the Poles allocate this equipment to Ukraine, but they have already trained 100 crew members.  This is proof of something that's been kinda evident, which is that the suppliers are revealing enough to ensure everybody knows Ukraine is well taken care of, but like late night TV commercials... "but wait, there's more!" is revealed at a later date.

BTW, several sources are disputing that M109 Paladins are on the menu at all, not to mention already on their way to Poland.  Could be that some over eager blogger mistook older M109s for the more advanced A6 version.  Or it could be that someone got a hold of info that was supposed to stay hidden for a while yet.

Steve

5 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

1.  DefMon drills nicely into this very topic in this thread...

Nice forensics here.

2. The ginger gnome there is Russian video tweeter WarGonzo

As noted by others, the Russians seem to have committed nearly all their elite units into this bridgehead, a la Wacht am Rein 1944.

Around Avdiivka except 61st naval infantry brigade involved also very specific unit - 269th separate counter-PDSS (underwater incursion forces and devices) detachment of Northern Fleet. There was a report about death of sen.lt. of this unit on 12th of May near Avdiivka. Unit also was involved in combat for Volnovakha and Mariupol. 

Also in assult of Avdiivka participate regular units of DPR - 1st motor-rifle brigade and 100th "republican guard" brigade of DPR (some sort of VDV/National guard), probably some conscrit rifle regiment too. 

After direct assaults of Avdiivka, which just brought heavy losses, enemy now is trying to encircle the town, advancing along H-20 road

19 hours ago, Kinophile said:

Could be More of a localized offensive specific to opposing forces, ie UKR. Identifies a weak point, pushes enough to tactically improve that part of the line.

Also, IIRC that section is well beyond the Russian Kherson defenses proper.

Зображення

This map some incorrect. What I could understand from some information from locals, our troops crossed the river in Bilohirka, where we can see natural bridgehead, but not in Davydiv Brid (meaning in eng. "Davyd's ford") - this village still under Russian control or in grey zone, according to different information. Against our troops, again, according to differnet information either elements of 11th air-assault brigade or 56th air-assault regiment. Very likely first line of defense occupied LDPR conscripts, so our forces hit exactly their positions to breakthrough, but this is just my opinion. 

As I know, the clashes for Inhulets crossing have been lasting about 10 days or even two weeks, maybe not very intensive, maybe there were some unsuccessful probes, and only now, when our troops firmly took the ground and could push the enemy, OPSEC curtain was lifted officilally

Edited by Haiduk

Copy, @Haiduk

A standard UKR local shaping op, it seems? Similar to many others and well honed over the years since 2014-15.

Whats your take on Sieverodonetsk? UA will hold and grind out the RUS to a stop? By retaining a hold on the city it forces the popasna arm to keep forces facing the city, which by inference reduces what can face west, and separates the assault effort from the breakthrough, further limiting whats available to turn the breakthrough North into a push West.

Is this the UA intent, do you think? Threaten both flanks of the breakthrough (even if just a threat on the city side) to spread apart the available forces within the arm itself? 

Edited by Kinophile

On 5/29/2022 at 12:02 AM, LongLeftFlank said:

Interesting thread here on Russian attempts to scrape together a new army.  Georgian source, no idea of the quality of their info or analysis....

One comment: Wait... they want to form *and* train reserve battalions in THREE WEEKS? Da'hell?

More from the commenter (a fellow gamer):

Russia has inflated the Autopilot!

He actually looks more like Stan's dad from South Park.

So Putin needs to fill THIS gap with new cannon fodder....

Edited by LongLeftFlank

7 minutes ago, Artkin said:

22km salvo! Nice. 

that's a nice link sent by Kinophile.  Very happy to see French stuff in the fight.  Which does create more work for BFC since they'll need to add French army to an upcoming CMBS module. 

So, Bradleys:  I read that US has a lot of bradleys it's phasing out.  I know it might be a ways out in time before those could be used by UKR.  Anyone heard anything on this?  Wouldn't it be amazing in a couple months to see a bunch of UKR bradleys lighting up some RU defense? 

I know MLRS is highest need by UKR, but I gotta think IFVs and APCs are needed badly also.

15 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

that's a nice link sent by Kinophile.  Very happy to see French stuff in the fight.  Which does create more work for BFC since they'll need to add French army to an upcoming CMBS module. 

So, Bradleys:  I read that US has a lot of bradleys it's phasing out.  I know it might be a ways out in time before those could be used by UKR.  Anyone heard anything on this?  Wouldn't it be amazing in a couple months to see a bunch of UKR bradleys lighting up some RU defense? 

I know MLRS is highest need by UKR, but I gotta think IFVs and APCs are needed badly also.

We'll be happy to take care of those, and send the remaining few hundred BMP-1s to Ukraine. Ditto for ex-USMC M1s and our PT-91s. Spokesman of our MoD hinted that there will be some unexpected aquisitions for our army in upcoming weeks, those two swaps are my bets. 

1 minute ago, Huba said:

We'll be happy to take care of those, and send the remaining few hundred BMP-1s to Ukraine. Ditto for ex-USMC M1s and our PT-91s. Spokesman of our MoD hinted that there will be some unexpected aquisitions for our army in upcoming weeks, those two swaps are my bets. 

So sounds like we'll need to have CMPV -- Combat Mission Polish Valor.  Poles w NATO/US kit fighting Russia.  I like it already.  I base this on the upcoming invasion of Poland that is so widely discussed by Russian pundits.

Did he get blown up in the midst of propaganda production? Because if so there is a video out there that needs to find the light of day. Or are they so desperate for officers he was trying lead a company in the assault on Severodonetsk? Which would imply they are getting catastrophically short of officers.

Kherson area, Davydiv Brid bridgehead
"At Mykolaiv direction Russian troops pushing more reinforcement to regain positions near Andriivka, Bilohirka and Bila Krynytsa. Combat drone used near Stara Bohdanivka, - General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine says in the evening report"

https://t.me/lumsrc/1611

Edited by Taranis

T-84 Oplot mod.2001 in action. Last known place of service of theese 5 tanks was 14th mech.brigade. Probably they involved on Popasna - Bakhmut axis

Single specimen of BM Oplot belongs to manufacturer and doesn't participate in combat. Or at least wasn't spotted yet

Зображення

Зображення

Edited by Haiduk

10 hours ago, Taranis said:

You're right. All the data is automatically transmitted to the gun and it is also able to calculate its firing elements itself. Each gun knows its exact position (few meters precision of course, like any GPS etc) and the orientation of its gun in real time thanks to the inertial navigation system (SIGMA-30N). These elements are available to the platoon/battery command by teletransmission (PR4G). Conversely, the command sends the fire elements directly to the vehicle via teletransmission. The crew then only has to press a button for the gun to aim on its own, all that remains is to load the gun.

In normal mode, the firing elements are calculated by the CS = Commandement Section = Platoon Command (a french platoon = between 2 and 4 guns) and teletransmits them to each gun. However, the CAESAR benefits from a CALP (CALculateur de Pièce = Gun calculator) which allows an isolated crew to calculate the firing elements themselves. I trained on it but never had to use it in live fire. It is therefore an interesting but unusual possibility, requiring a good knowledge of the vehicle and the principles of artillery but which remains quite easily feasible (especially for a platoon or battery commander ;) ).

Note concerning the position of the gun, a synchronization of the inertial navigation was quite often carried out on geographical points with clearly known GPS positions. We then placed the vehicle marker on the point and then synchronized. This is not really necessary because the SIGMA30N is very reliable but it brings more reliability and confidence for the precision.

Thank you, this is quite interesting and sounds ver similar to our systems. So can the howitzers in Ukraine receive Digital Fire commands with their upgrade or is the retrofit just to allow installation of Ukrainian radios? Also, does the howitzer have optical backups, where the crew can lay the gun using conventional means? Every unit I’ve been in has had at least one howitzer that had a degraded digital system for one reason or another and had to be operated conventionally, even while deployed. I’m always curious if these more advanced howitzers have that capability because it seems most don’t from the pictures and videos I’ve seen. 

Edited by SeinfeldRules