How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

1 minute ago, Battlefront.com said:

Man, I wish we hadn't banned so many Russian trolls.  It would be fun to ask them where are all those Armata tanks we hear so much about over the last 8 years.  Back in 2014 we were told that all Russia's front line tank units would have them and we in the West should pee in our trousers.  I guess the few that were built are still not viewed as ready for combat.  I mean real combat, not Red Square Parade duty ;)

Steve

I dont think theyre well suited for the Red Square patrol, given reliability issues. More well suited to statue duty. 

Maybe Putin felt Moscow needed a few more bunkers to be ready for a NATO counterattack? 

1 minute ago, Battlefront.com said:

Man, I wish we hadn't banned so many Russian trolls.  It would be fun to ask them where are all those Armata tanks we hear so much about over the last 8 years.  Back in 2014 we were told that all Russia's front line tank units would have them and we in the West should pee in our trousers.  I guess the few that were built are still not viewed as ready for combat.  I mean real combat, not Red Square Parade duty ;)

Steve

Meh, even Russia acknowledges these are still in trials, with dates of introduction pushed further and further back.  My curiosity is about the T-90Ms that were supposedly introduced into active service recently.

Just now, Commanderski said:

So he "planned" to have hundreds of millions of rubles (dollars) in military equipment captured or abandoned.

He needs to make place in his arsenal for the soon to come new stuff, otherwise russian army would be overstocked...

Al-Jazeera is reporting this:

French Interior Minister: EU member states have agreed on measures to protect refugees fleeing Ukraine

Well, that's sufficiently vague to cover everything from protecting them once they're in the EU (and looking on with mild concern across the border), to military and air force securing refugee routes out of Ukraine (which certainly couldn't be used to bring stuff in either...). I wonder what has actually been agreed.

As I was going through militaristic russian social network channels to report and hopefully shutdown - I found that the narrative now shifts towards the following, quoting one example:

"it's now obvious that a special military operation won't be a quick one to even the most stubborn of us - so we must prepare to shift our peaceful economics to a full wartime mode and prepare to mobilize all our resources to bring peace to Ukraine"

So that martial law and possible mobilization rumour looks to be less and less of a rumour

Edited by kraze

8 minutes ago, TheVulture said:

Al-Jazeera is reporting this:

French Interior Minister: EU member states have agreed on measures to protect refugees fleeing Ukraine

Well, that's sufficiently vague to cover everything from protecting them once they're in the EU (and looking on with mild concern across the border), to military and air force securing refugee routes out of Ukraine (which certainly couldn't be used to bring stuff in either...). I wonder what has actually been agreed.

YES YES YES YES.  Anything to create 'safe zone' on Ukrainian soil.  This does a lot of things I like.  Helps the displaced persons.  Ensures that there can be at least some kind of rump 'free ukraine' going forward.  It could provide safe area for transit of weapons (tough luck if putin doesn't like this). It could provoke russian attack on western forces, which I very much welcome.  yes, bring it, Putin, please give us an excuse. 

The Russian economy is spiraling downwards. The sum of Bitcoins is now more worth than all of the Rubels of the world. The Moscow Stack Exchange is closed for nearly one week and one Rubel is now less worth than one €cent. Russians are not allowed to transfer to foreign accounts. You are not allowed to take more than 10.000$ to take with you when you are leaving Russia.

The bricks of Russia economy are tumbling.

8 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I'm leaning towards thinking that the plan was within the strategic capacity of the Russian army - on paper. But that the incompetence at lower levels turned out to be much higher than Putin and his generals realised.

The Incompetence starts with the Generals. s#*t rolls down hill. If the lowly soldier isn’t properly trained, whose fault is that? The NCO. If the NCO isn’t doing it’s job, who’s fault is that? The Officer, And ad nauseam right up to the highest official. The blame starts at the top, but the top is rarely, if ever blamed. “I was just following orders.”

Putin – who initiated the call – repeated that Moscow’s objective was the “neutralisation, demilitarisation and de-nazification” of Ukraine, the official said, adding that Moscow aimed to take “full control” of the country by diplomatic or military means.

Ukraine war: French warn ‘worst is to come’ after Macron call with Putin | Ukraine | The Guardian

36 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Steve

🤣

55 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Question. How should the 'new' NATO look like. How much and which kind of troops do we need and where should they be stationed? Do we for example have to invest in tanks again (I think yes, but I would like to hear that from the experts on this forum)? In what kind of weaponry/units has to be invested most?

I work hard to keep my worlds apart but this question is being asked at strategic levels in just about every nation in NATO right now.

11 minutes ago, Vet 0369 said:

The Incompetence starts with the Generals. s#*t rolls down hill. If the lowly soldier isn’t properly trained, whose fault is that? The NCO. If the NCO isn’t doing it’s job, who’s fault is that? The Officer, And ad nauseam right up to the highest official. The blame starts at the top, but the top is rarely, if ever blamed. “I was just following orders.”

The Russian army doesn't appear to have a professional NCO Corps like we see in the west. Their Warrant Officers appear to be about the equivalent of a 1st Sergeant in the US military. It might explain the obvious breakdown of discipline being shown, especially with the looting.

https://www.armyupress.army.mil/Portals/7/Hot Spots/Documents/Russia/2017-07-The-Russian-Way-of-War-Grau-Bartles.pdf

There is a suggestion that A-10s be transferred to Ukraine. Could be done in a few days. Training of pilots to use it could be done in a short time, but what exactly that means is open to interpretation. The A-10 was designed to operate from austere locations.

Interesting suggestion but I doubt how practical it would be. On the other hand if volunteers who already have experience with the A-10 could be found then it could be a valuable addition. I just don't know how the sight of American A-10s operation in the Ukraine would be interpenetrated by Russia - even though on the ground they are  suffering greatly from Western supplied weapons.

Apparently Russia has requested a list of American/western arms that will not be sent to Ukraine.