How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

5 minutes ago, akd said:

Hahaha, no. I think there is something like 500-600 T-90As at most, plus maybe a battalion set of T-90Ms.  That said, they have been focusing on T-72B3 upgrades in significant numbers (1,500+, IIRC), and these are not really significantly less effective than T-90A.  They may actually be more operationally effective by virtue of being recent rebuilds with new engines.

Dusting off some very old memories when the Russian MoD made this announcement as part of their budget.  At the time many of us were puzzled, but I think we concluded it came down to cost.  They could upgrade more T-72s for the money than produce new T-90s.

Steve

49 minutes ago, akd said:

Believed to be 2S24 Kaktus or something similar.  It is a lower energy ERA than Relikt, so can be mounted to thinner armor plate.  Also illustrated in the patent drawing I attached earlier. The T-72B3M (T-72B3 obr. 2016) does have 2S23 Relikt side skirts like the T-90M and T-80BVM.  There may also be different explosive inserts in the original 2S22 Kontakt front turret ERA array, possibly related to Relikt.  No idea what the side “bag” ERA is called.

I saw that. But I thought that was the patent drawing from the soft boxes on chassi sides? Was that from the multilayer cassettes on the turret sides? Or did I missunderstand you now?

4 minutes ago, Armorgunner said:

I saw that. But I thought that was the patent drawing from the soft boxes on chassi sides? Was that from the multilayer cassettes on the turret sides? Or did I missunderstand you now?

They are both in the drawing.  Cross-section of box on turret rear sides is in the upper left.

EDIT: oops, separate drawing:

image.jpeg.7ddb172abf7acd1b7f34b9087866dc36.jpeg

Edited by akd

37 minutes ago, akd said:

Still in trials (Arena-M has been seen in service testing on T-72s in a small number of images).  I don’t think they want to spend the money.

Well, they do now. But they don't have any money anymore. This war has proven that without good APS tanks are not worth the logistics tail to keep them running. It is a damed good thing Putin is not a CMBS fan. He could have learned this lesson for $50, instead of several trillion.

10 minutes ago, akd said:

Hahaha, no. I think there is something like 500-600 T-90As at most, plus maybe a battalion set of T-90Ms.  That said, they have been focusing on T-72B3 upgrades in significant numbers (1,500+, IIRC), and these are not really significantly less effective than T-90A.  They may actually be more operationally effective by virtue of being recent rebuilds with new engines.

Military today says ~750-1000 of them, but since the planned run is closer to 1500 and the information is outdated I would suspect on the higher end. And even if its only a battalion+trainers of 90Ms thats still a decent chunk of Russia's best armor thats missing from the battlefield. 

Put another way, there are enough T-90s to send to Syria and sell to India, suggesting the RA was comfortable enough with their own numbers to open up the use as well as sale to other countries. 

In hindsight the Wikipedia number probably includes planned T-90 production in both Russia and India. 

3 minutes ago, akd said:

They are both in the drawing.  Cross-section of box on turret rear sides is in the upper left.

ah thanks. I´l go back and check. You dont happen to remember day and time ish. When the film was posted with that open cassette on the turret roof? No, I understand. This thread is astronomic 😄

Just now, BeondTheGrave said:

And even if its only a battalion+trainers of 90Ms thats still a decent chunk of Russia's best armor thats missing from the battlefield.

Not clear the T-90Ms are actually ready for combat service.  The deliveries just started in 2021, I think.

1 minute ago, Armorgunner said:

ah thanks. I´l go back and check. You dont happen to remember day and time ish. When the film was posted with that open cassette on the turret roof? No, I understand. This thread is astronomic 😄

See, above, I thought they were all on one image, but it was two separate images.

7 minutes ago, akd said:

The only confirmation we need that Javelin is wrecking Russian tanks currently is this Rus MoD press release:

https://www.defenseworld.net/news/31500/Russian_Tanks_Surviving_Hits_from_US_made_Javelin_Missiles__Russian_MoD?presentid=webnews&ocid=msedgdhp#.YiE29KvMKUk

Guy who designed the anti-javelin parasol says its totally working you guys. 100%!!

13 minutes ago, akd said:

We have no evidence of what that T-72 was hit by, but the only confirmation we need that Javelin is wrecking Russian tanks currently is this Rus MoD press release:

https://www.defenseworld.net/news/31500/Russian_Tanks_Surviving_Hits_from_US_made_Javelin_Missiles__Russian_MoD?presentid=webnews&ocid=msedgdhp#.YiE29KvMKUk

MikeyD "no f'n way am I doing models for that poS."

12 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

For those of you who wondered if the top cage armor seen on some tanks could defeat a Javelin... well... I think this might be an answer:

AVvXsEjEnxDjvtIFUXQnqo-7kKHhBpH1oAFBv-HCoT7G-jW18e8mdqsRfgjK0ZpURCbXz47YvNNqLy7qL2TNN6ZR7W32vau6AualD-NeKW4cbnoCPWnBLcl1W_j1JCxsEx_XgWXv5iynEmVn4MM89xF7y6Gg30FCAPdqk323bg055-rg8XKJdS54v1V5hjd8=s16000.jpg

Hey, that one was hit by a soft airgun, from the 24th kindergarten diper brigade. A Javelin would have made enormously more destruction. Now its just a repaint, where the pellet hit