How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

Jeebus F-ing Kristo.  Workday today, so couldn't read all the new overnight posts.  But what a bunch of f-ing garbage. 

I see a post where someone says something like  "no one thinks russians should have rights" -- the only group not thinking russians have rights IS THEIR OWN GOVT.  How can someone say such stupid sh-t??

I am kinda pissed at this excellent thread getting polluted w pseudo-knowledge history crap and semantic bulls-t.  I came here for news on the war but have to sift through a bunch of brainwashed propaganda instead. 

11 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

Cluster munitions.

Thanks. Fired by artillery or dropped by plane?

There is already an investigation about another case ongoing it seems (Amnesty International):

Cluster munitions kill child and two other civilians in Ukrainian Nursery (amnesty.org)

Edited by DesertFox

1 minute ago, BeondTheGrave said:

What a plan. Glad to see that western money pouring in now. Just one problem though, if things keep going the way they are 5 million rubles may not be as much as it sounds 😂 Better pay them in dollars. 

Exactly, now the EU just has to offer visas. It is a lot cheaper to have these guys building houses in outermost London than it is to shoot them.

1 minute ago, DesertFox said:

Interesting:

Poland will support Ukraine's EU accession process, says minister | National Post

“Poland will support Ukraine in its accession process to the EU,” Zbigniew Rau wrote on Twitter. (Reporting by Alan Charlish and Anna Koper Editing by Chris Reese)

I saw a tweet earlier that Ukraine had officially asked to begin the process as well. There was a great picture of Zelensky signing the document in some official building in his fatigues, sand bags lying about. But I dont think it will go anywhere until the war concludes. 

I've been tied up with stuff all day, so just getting my bearings on what's been going on (no, I haven't read the last 5 pages of this thread yet).

What I think we're clearly seeing now is a giant, murderous temper tantrum.  "You didn't role over, so we had to kill some of you.  That didn't work so now we will try and kill all of you".

It is clear that Putin wanted to avoid large scale infrastructure damage up until this point.  After all, Russia was just going to role in and take it all so why smash it?  Plus, there is the risk that slaughtering a bunch of Ukrainian and RUSSIAN women and children is not going to platy well at home.  And no matter how repressive the Russian government is about the information its people see, they will see it.

Russia hasn't quite got to the Grozny or Aleppo level of warcrimes yet, but sadly I think that move is still on the table.

Steve

1 minute ago, Sgt Joch said:

Ukraine and EU signed a bunch of agreements back in 2014 and after regarding potential membership. What has been holding it up is the fact that Ukraine is nowhere near to meeting any of the membership criterias.

Yup.  That is the primary reason.  The anti-corruption element is a big sticking point.  However, it's been unclear that Ukraine was ready to suffer the wrath of Russia by joining.  So maybe some of the lack of Ukraine's progress has been due to not really taking the option seriously.  Now?  Mr. Putin has made up their minds for them.  I predict that when this war is over that Ukraine will redouble its efforts to qualify for full EU membership.  Still going to be a tough one for them.

Steve

2 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

What I think we're clearly seeing now is a giant, murderous temper tantrum.  "You didn't role over, so we had to kill some of you.  That didn't work so now we will try and kill all of you".

The use of cluster munitions against such undeniably civilian targets like an apartment complex is one of the most disgusting things I've seen in recent memory. This goes beyond a casual disregard for collateral damaged as sometimes the US is accused of. At least the US has a process which tries to minimize the death of innocents. This is just inflicting pain and suffering for the sadist's sake. If Vladdy Daddy isn't ventilated before hand he ought to stand to account for what hes done. We hung Germans for much this. 

1 minute ago, Battlefront.com said:

Yup.  That is the primary reason.  The anti-corruption element is a big sticking point.  However, it's been unclear that Ukraine was ready to suffer the wrath of Russia by joining.  So maybe some of the lack of Ukraine's progress has been due to not really taking the option seriously.  Now?  Mr. Putin has made up their minds for them.  I predict that when this war is over that Ukraine will redouble its efforts to qualify for full EU membership.  Still going to be a tough one for them.

Steve

To be honest the Ukrainian government has almost certainly been ravaged. Akin to allied governments during WWII. If corruption is the focus, now (or post war) is the best time to change paths. I can see a lot of logic in starting fresh, as it were. 

41 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

Jeebus F-ing Kristo.  Workday today, so couldn't read all the new overnight posts.  But what a bunch of f-ing garbage. 

I see a post where someone says something like  "no one thinks russians should have rights" -- the only group not thinking russians have rights IS THEIR OWN GOVT.  How can someone say such stupid sh-t??

I am kinda pissed at this excellent thread getting polluted w pseudo-knowledge history crap and semantic bulls-t.  I came here for news on the war but have to sift through a bunch of brainwashed propaganda instead. 

I think I issued 6 vacations this morning. Compared to none yesterday. 

6 minutes ago, Sgt Joch said:

Ukraine and EU signed a bunch of agreements back in 2014 and after regarding potential membership. What has been holding it up is the fact that Ukraine is nowhere near to meeting any of the membership criterias.

Yep, but the political signal is there. This will be a very speedy application process, me thinks.

12 minutes ago, Holien said:

Those phone calls home by captured Russian soldiers are now starting to have an effect. BBC reporters got to a Russian village and interviewed relatives. The whole village now knows what is going on. 

If I can find the report on line I will post a link

Would be interesting to know if there is a rural vs. urban bias amongst contract personnel in the army.

6 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Steve

Criteria can change, one of the exceedingly few things war is good for.