2022, the Year In Preview!

33 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

Correct. It's still being worked on but I wouldn't expect it to be released before the war is over. 

This is maybe a bit pessimistic but couldnt that take like a few more years? I know you guys dont want to release the DLC since you dont want to seem as you are making money of the war. ( if I got that right) But im pretty sure that most people who play the game already know that.

On 1/14/2022 at 5:10 AM, Battlefront.com said:

We're still planning on doing an Engine 5 Upgrade that focuses on performance improvements.  No firm idea when this will be ready to talk about more, not to mention when we'll release it.  Oh, and it will be a free Upgrade this time around.

I hope this performance improvement mean that all games will be able to have maps larger than 18 square kilometers being made in the editor and played on as scenarios.

Larger maps for scenarios would be better for the modern day games but would also be great for the WW2 ones.

I know that a lot of people don't like scenarios larger than platoon size but there are also those, I included, that would like to be able to play scenarios that are able to have a whole regiment on the map from the start without performance issues. Unfortunately the map size requirements don't allow for that to happen at the moment.

Edited by BornGinger

On 6/18/2022 at 11:29 AM, BornGinger said:

I hope this performance improvement mean that all games will be able to have maps larger than 18 square kilometers being made in the editor and played on as scenarios.

Larger maps for scenarios would be better for the modern day games but would also be great for the WW2 ones.

I know that a lot of people don't like scenarios larger than platoon size but there are also those, I included, that would like to be able to play scenarios that are able to have a whole regiment on the map from the start without performance issues. Unfortunately the map size requirements don't allow for that to happen at the moment.

I am able to trim the map Rad full 2 from the original 5.7 x 5.7km and I am able to run it at the normal fast amount of fps at 5 x 5km. Map is originally for CMRT but works on all the games except CMSF2.

I would like to reiterate, that possibly the most valuable improvements could be toward;

-Quality of life improvements for the scenario editor, especially in the map making and enemy plans. 

--Every type of linear objects; roads, streams, rivers, walls, etc. should have the path making option available.  Buildings and so on should have a big square procedural generation option in order to make towns/cities faster.  The fidelity of curses and angled lines needs to be improved.

--Personally, I am very interested in the upcoming VBS3 planning tools, where I can assign a tactical task and timeline (video editor style) to the unit.  The current tools are good and it need to keep the postures and and fire control guidance.  It just seems it would be easier to design and plans with more intuitive tools. 

--PS: task organization options; I'm sure a balance could be generated IOT develop more customizable task organizations without the risk of franken units.  This seems to be a continual request in the community.

All this would make content generation faster and more accessible for more players, which will (pun intended) should provide the games with a "force multiplier" to attract and keep more players! 

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2022 at 5:40 PM, BFCElvis said:

Both Packs are moving along nicely. The CMBN Pack will be ready "when it's finished". The CMRT looks like it's ahead of schedule for when CMRT is released on Steam.....which is when the Pack will also be released. 

What about CMFI? what's that battle pack going to be about?

2 hours ago, Miller786 said:

What about CMFI? what's that battle pack going to be about?

Too soon to get into the theme of that Pack. However, due to the delay in getting CMBN on Steam we may be releasing the Red Thunder Pack before Red Thunder's release on Steam. 

15 hours ago, Artkin said:

Red Thunder sells well and retains its value to the customer. So you guys should totally make a Fall Blau module is what I'm trying to get at. Along with 4 others.

I think us early/mid war fans for CM should start our own fan club. :D  #earlywarorbust

On 1/14/2022 at 12:10 AM, Battlefront.com said:

Updated Cold War (early February) - this extends the newly implemented PBEM++ system to include Slitherine's automated Tournament system.  Yup, you can now play for fame, glory, and at times fabulous prizes in a structured environment! 

Updated CMSF2 and Black Sea (1st Quarter) - both previously released Matrix/Slitherine CM Families will get the PBEM++ and Tournament systems as free updates.  Any bug fixes and what not that have come up from Cold War development will be rolled in as well.

Normandy for Matrix/Steam (March/April) - the entire Normandy Family of games will be released on both Matrix and Steam platforms with PBEM/Tournament features included.  Coinciding with this will be a new Battle Pack focusing on early D-Day combat.

Fortress Italy for Matrix/Steam (June/July) - all titles from the Fortress Italy Family goes out onto Matrix/Steam with the PBEM/Tournament features.  A Battle Pack is planned to be released at the same time, the specific focus not being fully nailed down as of yet.

Red Thunder for Matrix/Steam (September/October) - as you might expect by now, Matrix/Steam with PBEM/Tournament features.  A simultaneous release of a new Battle Pack is also planned.  The Pack focuses on Kampfgruppe Mühlenkamp's attempts to keep the Soviets from moving westward in July 1944.

Final Blitzkrieg for Matrix/Steam (December/January) - last, but not least, the final CM2 Family of games will be released for Matrix/Steam with PBEM and Tournament systems.  At the same time we'll release a new Module that will extend the timeframe through to the end of the war and introduce Commonwealth Forces plus the last ditch forces of the Third Reich.

Where are we on all of this.  I know that CMCW was updated.  Did CMBS get the new PBEM system?  Is any of the rest even close to release?  Are we anywhere near the Commonwealth module for CMFB?  Other than that, are any modules for CMBS under development or are we looking at 23/24, maybe 25?

9 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

I think us early/mid war fans for CM should start our own fan club. :D  #earlywarorbust

Count me in when it's up. B) I would love for a place where I could help put down material. We could build our own game if people were dedicated! 

On 8/9/2022 at 6:50 AM, Thewood1 said:

Where are we on all of this.  I know that CMCW was updated.  Did CMBS get the new PBEM system?  Is any of the rest even close to release?  Are we anywhere near the Commonwealth module for CMFB?  Other than that, are any modules for CMBS under development or are we looking at 23/24, maybe 25?

The bugs/flaws in the tournament system are being squashed. There were 3 things that we saw with the tournament that need to be addressed before moving on. There is (was) a cheat that could be exploited. That cheat has been fixed. The scoring system seemed a bit wonky. Also, it was discovered that if the person who started a battle, with both PBEM++ and the tournament, surrendered the end of game AAR files weren't sent. If anyone knows of any other bugs in the system please speak now or forever hold your peace. I'm not talking about "I wish it did this stuff". I'm talking about "it's broken. Fix it or do somefink" stuff.

Once they are done the PBEM++/tournament builds will go out for Black Sea and Shock Force 2. It will also go into Battle for Normandy and that will coincide with a Steam release of that. My understanding is that from a coding/programming point of view that can happen almost instantly. I'm not a programmer so please take that with a grain of salt. 

Black Sea's module is still being worked on but the release time will still be, somewhat, tied to what is happening over in Ukraine.

Final Blitzkrieg's module is being developed but I would expect that to follow the Black Sea module.

I expect, but will not promise, that the Red Thunder Pack will be out before anything else. And by anything else I mean everything that I have mentioned above. It is essentially finished and just getting polished (briefing graphics, etc...). Originally the plan had been to release new content with the Steam releases but the PBEM++/tournament stuff has pushed things back so much that we might forgo that. @George MCdid an amazing job with this Pack and, frankly, I don't think it should be held back if it's finished. It may be the first Battlefront release that comes out before it was projected to be released............ever.

3 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

..Originally the plan had been to release new content with the Steam releases but the PBEM++/tournament stuff has pushed things back so much that we might forgo that. @George MCdid an amazing job with this Pack and, frankly, I don't think it should be held back if it's finished. It may be the first Battlefront release that comes out before it was projected to be released............ever.

surprised-amazed-shocked-20.gif

On 8/9/2022 at 3:03 PM, Ithikial_AU said:

While I love all of the WW2 titles and battle pack add-ons I can only wish for some early 1940-42 war years love. Don't get me wrong, I'm still very excited about the road map moving forward.  

6 hours ago, Aussiegrit said:

I can only wish for some early 1940-42 war years love

+1 from me.  I know there are others who feel the same ( @kohlenklau deserves special mention ) but what I don't know is how many and how the likely purchase numbers stack up for BFC.  I'd buy early war stuff for sure, but then again I'll buy all of the above later war stuff as well.  Just not the modern stuff (yet 😉).