Future of JuJu's UI Mod - Project Unification

Evening all,

@Juju has announced that he was stepping back from modding and after working as a tester for a few of his releases and then helping out directly with R2V he's graciously offered to handover the care of his long running UI mod to me. As he said, "Please look after my kids". :PJuJu has provided me with all the original .psd files now so it's easier to update and add things in with the new content matching pretty close to the existing mod. This is still well and truly his mod. Now I'm no artist but have been labouring away behind the scenes for a few hours every week and learning quite a bit as I go along. Please be a bit more patient.

There's been no CMRT F&R update from me but this is because I'm trying to hit these three goals before sending to Bootie for upload to CMMODS. Number 3 is the big one but a huge time saver going forward.

1) CMRT F&R Update - Done - just tweaking  (I may release this separately so you can overlay it on top of your existing UI mod). Also fixes the mod to reflect the changes that were brought in with the background panels in the update.

2) CMFI R2V Update - Fixing up some of my mess with shadows and colour correction in the last release.

3) Mod Unification Project - JuJu had different background textures for each family which made the workload quite high with not a lot being easily transferable between the families.. well without standing out like a saw thumb. I'm switching this around so for example the same M1 Garand Weapon Slot texture will now fit in in CMFI, CMBN and CMFB. Over time there's also been updated different icons for the same weapon, vehicle and special equipment icons between the families so I'm unifying the look there as well. CMFB icons get the preference given the slightly better detail. This also makes life a lot easier if and when future modules are released.

I should says this doesn't mean the all the mods will now look identical, the exact opposite, however the comment elements like weapon slots will carry across the game families. Think of it as the kids are still unique but I'm sending them to school and making them wear something resembling a uniform. :)

A few things that I'm not continuing or putting on the table now so there is no shocks later on. Most of this is largely due to time and I have no idea how to set up an script for the Paint.net to do some of this repetitive work automatically. Batch processing doesn't appear to be a thing. (I'm not paying subscription money to Adobe).

- Reducing the options for the "Yellow Weapon Slot" textures to just the red cross option. The many options JuJu provided over the years here is an absolute time sync to create each one by one for every weapon BF has modeled in WW2 era CM2. It's actually an enormous list now! I won't rule it out down the track to bringing some of them back or doing something new here. Vinnart has already had an interesting idea, but I want to get something out sooner rather than later.

- Portraits - Will fill in the gaps if I can get crafty enough and it meets my own (probably too) high bar. These are tough to get looking right. Backgrounds will be tweaked to sort of match the uniform of each branch to separate them out a touch. (See preview pics).

- Never going into Cold War or the Modern titles. JuJu didn't and neither will I. :)

Preview pics (I know about the black line running through the centre panel).

1655544118_CMRedThunder2021-05-2217-45-36-54.thumb.png.0ab18e0c77bb4c3ba6488ab6efed8f93.png

284418863_CMRedThunder2021-05-2217-44-29-55.thumb.png.27edfb5e1ac803e4f0c18032f0d08143.png

254686511_CMRedThunder2021-05-2217-45-30-46.thumb.png.a298021c8b6ee5d532ce93b549b04bfd.png

962968444_CMRedThunder2021-05-2217-45-59-73.thumb.png.515fdb72894b9b862d47c1a3701bb3c7.png

Small preview of the Unification aspect of this mod. All four WW2 families with similar UI elements. Spot the differences. Red circle is a known error.

1338677109_CMRedThunder2021-06-0123-11-26-43.thumb.png.1da16ebe8fbcb292015f2b3cc2fb2613.png

Portraits - looking to provide a bit of diversification with background smocks/camouflage patterns used by that nation or branch. Difficult for the Allies however... ideas anyone?

Special Equipment and Weapon Slots - Uniform across all titles. (Still messing with some shadows).

(CMFB is the surprising problem child of the group :D)

Edited by Ithikial_AU

A very good idea and project Ithikial.  Looking forward to it.  As you know, my only bugbear is that I really liked Marco Bergman's silhouettes with the range and caliber listed.  (Also, every vehicle had its defensive properties also listed in detail).  

8 hours ago, rocketman said:

Thanks a lot for this, much appreciated. Maybe you can ask Mord for some of his portraits and integrate them so that they fit the design?

@Mord's existing portrait sets already look great alongside the JuJu mod. I've used them myself! I do have the .psd files from JuJu that did offer Mord's background flags as an option for JuJu's portraits at one point but want to keep things a touch separate at this point with Mord's work and don't want to step on too many toes. :) 

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

A very good idea and project Ithikial.  Looking forward to it.  As you know, my only bugbear is that I really liked Marco Bergman's silhouettes with the range and caliber listed.  (Also, every vehicle had its defensive properties also listed in detail).  

Let's just say so do I. :D Moving to a unified silhouette and weapon slot set up like this means it's easier for me to consider adding these types of options later on down the track if there is enough support. Rather than updating for game families individually I only have to do it once and it applies to all the WW2 titles.

6 minutes ago, Ithikial_AU said:

....Let's just say so do I. :D Moving to a unified silhouette and weapon slot set up like this means it's easier for me to consider adding these types of options later on down the track if there is enough support. Rather than updating for game families individually I only have to do it once and it applies to all the WW2 titles.

Great to hear! Ranges are a much needed feature. Been using Marco's ranges integrated with juju's for years.

On 5/22/2021 at 6:05 AM, Ithikial_AU said:

- Reducing the options for the "Yellow Weapon Slot" textures to just the red cross option. The many options JuJu provided over the years here is an absolute time sync to create each one by one for every weapon BF has modeled in WW2 era CM2. It's actually an enormous list now! I won't rule it out down the track to bringing some of them back or doing something new here. Vinnart has already had an interesting idea, but I want to get something out sooner rather than later.

That works for me because it's the one I always use.

JuJu's biggest design flaw, and trust me I know this one personally and painfully, was making all those options. And I think I can speak for him when I state; that we get so caught up in the creating, we want to have options on top of options for the players to enjoy. But somewhere down the road we have to update that sh** or make one for a new title! Then not only do we want to match what we did before (can't be less than!), we want to improve it, maybe add extra and lots of new dazzle and shine. Then when there's four titles (my case seven), and we're going on the third or fourth version of the mods, we sit back and whisper to ourselves..."My god, what have I done?" Followed by a soft cracking sound in our brain LMAO! The tragically ironic part is that 90% of all that extra effort won't ever get used by the players. It was and is, blood, sweat and tears for some phantom dragon that we are chasing.

Moral of the story, Ithikial, save your sanity, less is more.

And thanks for doing this.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

• 2 weeks later...

The mod package and preview artwork for the CMMODS website has been sent to @Bootie this week. I just need to write up a blurb for the webpage unless he wants to steal some words from the included read me.

Probably not going to bug/error free across the titles but worth getting it out the door into peoples hands to start spotting them. Please read the READ ME and post anything dodgy you find to this thread.

Edited by Ithikial_AU

3 hours ago, rocketman said:

I really looks great. One minor  thing though. In FB, the G43 looks like it has a drop shadow in a different style than the other weapons I've seen so far.

g43 shadow.bmp 103.34 kB · 1 download

Ta. I'll add it to the list and review when there is a batch of issues to address.

I Love what is going on with this mod and 100% support the tough decisions made on standardisation and simplification.

Found two tiny oversights:

1. The silhouettes for the JPz IV (early) and JPz IV/70(V) are the same; they're both the silhouette for the JPz IV (early).

2. The branch indicator icon for Soviet armoured infantry doesn't show up in-game. I assumed because the icon's name in the files is "soviet motorized infantry" when it should be "soviet armored infantry". This assumption turned out to be correct when I changed the name and loaded up a fresh game.

Cheers and thanks again for taking the reins on this great mod!

1425862677_forcetyperussianmotorized.thumb.jpg.185efc10ea897243a59826e51004e1f5.jpg 

JPz IV (early).jpg

JPz IV 70(v).jpg

Untitled.jpg

force type, russian, motorized 1.jpg

Edited by Coop