So when will the next project be officially announced?

I'd like to see new modules for CMCW and new games that will (slowly) cover the rest of WW2 in the ETO, giving priority to the Eastern Front (including the Winter War) and the war in North Africa, but, hopefully, ending with Fall Gelb and Fall Weiß.

I'm not that enthusiastic about having, say, a three year hiatus for a new CMx3 engine and then seeing again the third incarnation of CMBO and CMSF3.

Blimey - I'm still full on playing CMFI; I've started playing Fire and Rubble, but it'll be many months before I begin to get to grips with it all; I haven't bought Cold War yet (but I will); and I still have barely touched Black Sea.

Another title will be great when it comes along, but there's a lot in the ones we have already, enough to keep me happy a long time...

23 minutes ago, Freyberg said:

I've started playing Fire and Rubble,

I upgraded to engine 4 and bought the keys for F&R. Just RT and FR is enough for the year. Have not touched RT for ages and it was the first CM Game I bought. I never played as Russian, and it is challenging and interesting. Progressing to Seelow heights, always start with the biggest game. 

On 5/6/2021 at 10:54 AM, Erwin said:

We Afrika Korps (and Early War) fans really have to make the same or more noise that the CW folks did.  I remain very disappointed that after buying all BF products to support them on the understanding that they would eventually get to Early War as promised, we are let down.  Seems that BF is going after the lowest common denominator US mass market (such as it is for wargames).   Can't blame BF for wanting to make more money for their retirement etc.  But, it is sad.

I'm pretty sure BFC never promised to make an Early War game.

Those of us who have supported BF from the early days of CM1 do have the impression that the "plan" was to work backwards to Early War.  Hence the disappointment that BF now seems to be backing away from that.  Most of the late war products are more or less the same.  In the final few years of CM1 I recall that all our tournaments were based during early to mid-war eras and used minor country units as we had all gotten bored with late war even back then.  I don't want to take away any kudos from the developers of the late war games, but have faithfully been buying products for the last 8+ years with the expectation that we would eventually be able to play the whole war as with CM1.  

40 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Those of us who have supported BF from the early days of CM1 do have the impression that the "plan" was to work backwards to Early War.  Hence the disappointment that BF now seems to be backing away from that.

No such plan ever existed, and they have been explicit about that.

Doing Western Front 1940 would be its own game. No Poland. Not enough similarities in the Germans for it to work, no similarities with the Poles. It would be too much work for the sales we could expect from it.

We are interested in doing a Western Front 1940 game, but it's low priority due to the expected amount of sales from it compared to other things we could do with the same resources.

Steve

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

1 hour ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

I'm pretty sure BFC never promised to make an Early War game.

Well, they have to do some thing or another after the engine 5.x update.

North Africa is a likely candidate, just as it was after CMBB.

Unless they go after the next symmetric war (and possible military sales) against Russia/China.

4 minutes ago, mjkerner said:

Lol, gave you a like there, Aragorn.  

Because of the double whammy of F&R and CW in one month, when BFC finishes its planned BS and FB modules, I’d be perfectly happy if they took a 2 year break and built CMx3. YMMV.

🙂

I hope the NATO module for CW will not take too long, but I agree, MJ, we have enough to keep us busy for a couple of years now.

Edited by Aragorn2002

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

have faithfully been buying products for the last 8+ years with the expectation that we would eventually be able to play the whole war as with CM1.

I've seen them say a number of times that early war products just would not be profitable enough to justify the investment of time and labor, so I'm not sure how anyone who's been around the forums could say they have an "expectation" that early war modules would eventually be added. I feel like BFC has been pretty clear about it and some of you are just setting yourselves up for heartbreak.

Oh well. Time to move on to CMx3 anyway, in my opinion. CMx2, as good as it is, is really starting to show its age.

What is funny, I think BF has learned that keeping things quite as they did with CMCW is a good thing.

So I would not be at all surprised that they might give less advance notice instead of more advanced notice as to what is future releases.

They already made a statement where their present efforts are (patch for CMCW) and they made a statement that they already know what the next project is. They did not share what that was. That seems to appear they have no plans of letting you know until its closer to completion.

17 minutes ago, slysniper said:

What is funny, I think BF has learned that keeping things quite as they did with CMCW is a good thing.

So I would not be at all surprised that they might give less advance notice instead of more advanced notice as to what is future releases.

They already made a statement where their present efforts are (patch for CMCW) and they made a statement that they already know what the next project is. They did not share what that was. That seems to appear they have no plans of letting you know until its closer to completion.

I'd rather not know than go through the torture of Fire and Rubble again.

5 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I think they see it the opposite way: If sales of CM2 are strong, why should they begin to make a CM3?

If they see it that way then it would be very disappointing. It would show an intent to milk out the last money from this engine rather than advancing to the future.

43 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I'd rather not know than go through the torture of Fire and Rubble again.

I can see your point of view on that statement, especially since it was the one module that you really wanted and having the knowledge that it was out there and work had been done on it.

I can only guess but I doubt they were  happy about having to delay and shelf it also. But it is what it is, they can only work on so much, something had to give.

20 minutes ago, slysniper said:

I can see your point of view on that statement, especially since it was the one module that you really wanted and having the knowledge that it was out there and work had been done on it.

I can only guess but I doubt they were  happy about having to delay and shelf it also. But it is what it is, they can only work on so much, something had to give.

Water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned. Just happy to have it and an unexpected cold surprise on top of that. But I hope we'll all get what we want. And to be honest I'm  looking forward to the future.

Edited by Aragorn2002

1 minute ago, DesertFox said:

They never did [promise to make an Early War game].

Yep. Several times I've seen them say that they don't view the early war as a profitable enough subject matter.

It would almost be more accurate to say that BFC has promised not to make an early war module!

There is a contradiction in that if early war or N. Africa modules are not profitable, then why not be more flexible about opening up the code so that modders can attempt to depict that era and theater.  Early War and North Aftica was the most popular subject for tournaments during the last years of CM1.  When one cuts off a market segment and focus on a segment that makes the most noise it tends to create a self-fulfilling prophecy regarding profitability.

But, yes, CM2 is getting very old (twice as old as CM1 was when CM2 replaced it 14 years ago in 2007) and CM3 should be the priority regardless.