1945-46 Follow on Module for CM?

I have always wondered about this ...............what if WW2 Combat Mission didn't end but continued with the Russians pushing West.

The maps and unit organizations already exist for the most part. I wonder how much work and time  it would take to cobble together?

I haver always thought it would provide some interesting match ups.

For some reason this has never interested me, JMO.

Early war mobility battles with the shorter range of most weapons would make for some great war gaming on these CM maps imo (especially in North Africa and Russia). This is where I would like some time and love from BFC.

That is the timeline direction I would be more than willing to spend my money on, this 45-46 idea not so much.

Again, this is just my opinion, lots of people on here would love your suggestion though.

Edited by Blazing 88's

56 minutes ago, z1812 said:

I have always wondered about this ...............what if WW2 Combat Mission didn't end but continued with the Russians pushing West.

The maps and unit organizations already exist for the most part. I wonder how much work and time  it would take to cobble together?

I haver always thought it would provide some interesting match ups.

You would end up with a CM version of this :-) 

https://www.ghqmodels.com/collections/wwii-1-285-6mm-scale/era_wehrmacht-47

https://www.ghqmodels.com/pages/free-stuff-micro-armour-wehrmacht-47

Edited by JoMac

13 minutes ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

Tons (including me) are excited about CW, but East v West at the end of WW2 would be fantastic.

@MOS:96B2P puts forth the idea (in this thread) about a simple Soviet equipment pack port into CMFB would make so much possible with the least effort from BFC.

Yes, I really like this idea and hope it is considered some day.  

My hope is that the last release for CMFB will be an equipment pack introducing Soviet forces/equipment into CMFB.  Call it meeting on the Elbe River or something.  Then the US, Commonwealth and Soviets would all be in the same Combat Mission game.   No BFC created scenarios would be needed.  Just an equipment pack of already designed equipment ported over from CMRT.  Scenario designers and mod creators could do all kinds of cold war, neo-colonialism stuff.  Patton goes east 1945, Fulda Gap 1948, Korea, Suez Crisis, etc.    

23 minutes ago, JoMac said:

I have some 1-285 micro armor.  Haven't touched it since I discovered Combat Mission. :(  :)

38 minutes ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

Tons (including me) are excited about CW, but East v West at the end of WW2 would be fantastic.

@MOS:96B2P puts forth the idea (in this thread) about a simple Soviet equipment pack port into CMFB would make so much possible with the least effort from BFC.

Read the books by Colin Gee. Not everbody's cup of tea, but I think they are superb.

Edited by Aragorn2002

58 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Read the books by Colin Gee. Not everbody's cup of tea, but I think they are superb.

I tried him.  The overall idea I was really into but his character development is pretty awful.  When the Native American started wielding tomahawks I ditched the series.

1 hour ago, sburke said:

I tried him.  The overall idea I was really into but his character development is pretty awful.  When the Native American started wielding tomahawks I ditched the series.

I remember we had this discussion before. 🙂 But I think you're being too harsh. I've read them all and although I agree that not every chapter is of the same high quality, for me it's still one of the best series in this genre. And I've had my share of unfinished fictional books. Colin Gee knows his stuff and makes few if any mistakes describing battles, weapons and tactics. That's rather unique to my experience.

51 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I remember we had this discussion before. 🙂 But I think you're being too harsh. I've read them all and although I agree that not every chapter is of the same high quality, for me it's still one of the best series in this genre. And I've had my share of unfinished fictional books. Colin Gee knows his stuff and makes few if any mistakes describing battles, weapons and tactics. That's rather unique to my experience.

yeah the dearth of material for anything in this period is more the problem.  

As sandboxes go, I would actually really enjoy this period.

I would like to see it include the Wehrmacht though - I'm not terribly interested in silly things like the Maus, but the Germans had some interesting and more sensible designs on the drawing board at that time too.

It would be fascinating to see things like the T44, early Centurion, E-series panzers and so on - but I'd buy any game Battlefront might make...

7 hours ago, sburke said:

yeah the dearth of material for anything in this period is more the problem.  

It is. The appearance of the T-54 (or T-44?) is well described and very interesting to read though. And I like the element of espionage in Gee's book. 

Congrats with 2000 upvotes. 🙂

Edited by Aragorn2002

1 hour ago, IronCat60 said:

I think that I see the start of a behavioral patton developing from these posts

index.jpg.61b58eb2e41de4786c0b9ad66d54057c.jpg  "They are a scurvy race and simply savages. We could beat hell out of them.”

(Hmmm, who does that sound like? I think he thought he was taking the heil road on this one)

Clever man, Patton.

15 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

You think?  :lol:

Have you seen his effort at sword design?  :mellow:

Patton had a great staff, but the man himself was a non-entity, in jodphurs.  :rolleyes:

He was an international recognized Olympic qualified pistol shooter.  Decathlon event of the 1912 Olympics.

Edited by chuckdyke

For realistic games such as Combat Mission, I'm not really interested in fictional scenarios. That's also a big part of why I'm not really interested in the modern warfare or cold war versions.

However, if they were to make a 1946-46 game, I think it would be more interesting to say "what if the Germans had not wasted their final resources in the Ardennes but had instead fought more defensively, dragging on the war for another year?"

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

For realistic games such as Combat Mission, I'm not really interested in fictional scenarios. That's also a big part of why I'm not really interested in the modern warfare or cold war versions.

However, if they were to make a 1946-46 game, I think it would be more interesting to say "what if the Germans had not wasted their final resources in the Ardennes but had instead fought more defensively, dragging on the war for another year?"

I don't think the war would have dragged on for another year. The Western Allies would have reached Berlin first. If the attack in the Ardennes had been cancelled AND the counteroffensives in Hungary too the war might have dragged on longer, but perhaps some months, not a year.