Pre-orders for Combat Mission Cold War are now open.

BFCElvis

39 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I become concerned whenever I seen an over-enthused newbie announce their first scenario is going to be a historically accurate downtown Antwerp map, or something similar. Because I know they're going to burn out and never build another scenario. When starting out making scenarios start out small and simple and just for fun. Don't start out ambitious. Build yourself a couple playtime mini scenarios just to see the AI move the troops around the map, then work up from there. I'm especially concerned about Cold War. Green players will be attempting 3x5km maps first thing and its not gonna be pretty. :mellow:

+1  Making Venafro for me was fun.  It is barely a platoon engagement.  When I tried going larger I really started burning out quick on it,

On 4/23/2021 at 7:42 PM, John Kettler said:

Thanks to BFCElvis, was able to sort out PW issue and pre-order CMCW, with the DVD. Was wondering why it cost so much money ($10)  to ship a single DVD in its case? Regardless, am posting link to product page on FB and tagging some friends who might be interested.

Regards,

John Kettler

You said you weren't able to play CM John!!!

I had ordered the CD version as well though. ;)

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I become concerned whenever I seen an over-enthused newbie announce their first scenario is going to be a historically accurate downtown Antwerp map, or something similar. Because I know they're going to burn out and never build another scenario. When starting out making scenarios start out small and simple and just for fun. Don't start out ambitious. Build yourself a couple playtime mini scenarios just to see the AI move the troops around the map, then work up from there. I'm especially concerned about Cold War. Green players will be attempting 3x5km maps first thing and its not gonna be pretty. :mellow:

I will finish Donetsk... I think about it more and more everyday. I just work 50hrs a week! And mostly play Assetto Corsa ;)

I was actually going to ask for a clean 5.7x5.7km slate to go at it again, since the previous map didn't really include Spartak.

Edited by Artkin

On 4/24/2021 at 11:41 AM, rocketman said:

We're not fools, we are the only sane ones. Challenging our ageing brains with complex strategy games is an excellent way to keep them in shape. And that is a proven fact. 

Following is a quote (perhaps not exact) by a very famous man:

”We don’t stop playing because we get older, we get older because we stop playing.”

Benjamin Franklin 

On 4/24/2021 at 5:16 PM, MikeyD said:

This is really great advice! Start small and be realistic!

In the hobby of painting (model / miniature), it's pretty common for newbies to run into this issue you're describing too. I will often hear about people who spend substantial amounts of money to buy sable brushes, paint sets, airbrush(s), etc.. But when they find out that they are no good at painting they tend to give up, and I don't think many return because the gap between reality and expectations becomes perceived as impassable.

I say all of this because this is effectively true for most sports, hobbies, games, art, etc. - pretty much everything that takes skill to do, including map / scenario making. It's going to take time and effort to get to where you want to be, and you will still fail even when you're at your best. It's great to have big dreams, but delusions of grandeur never tend to end well!

And then this leads to one of my favorite quotes that's (mostly) applicable:
"Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty … I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.” - Theodore Roosevelt

Edited by RescueToaster
Typos!

11 hours ago, ratdeath said:

CMSF - Problems in Syria for real

CMBS - Problems in Ukraine for real

CMCW - ???! Hopefully we are safe because it's more like "history" :D

Still waiting for the game and hoping for an April release.

Even if Black Sea's scenario might not be too difficult to predict, they do really seem like modern oracles. Fingers crossed that they aren't right on a very, very late Cold War scenario!

PS. Your signature is from one of my favorite NIN songs, and I also love your avatar. By law we are friends now.

On 4/24/2021 at 7:28 PM, Artkin said:

You said you weren't able to play CM John!!!

I had ordered the CD version as well though. ;)

That, unfortunately, presently remains correct, but this is something I can at least look at once I can DL. The subject matter of the new game was my job from Valentine's Day 1978 on for many years. Killing Soviet and Warsaw Pact AFVs was a major part of the Hughes Aircraft Missile Systems group product line, which included TOW, a whole bunch of Maverick versions, the developmental revolutionary WASP brilliant swarm missile, the deep strike massed armor killer ASSAULT BREAKER and more.  If a particular CMx2 title interests me, and I can afford it, I pre-order. May not be able to play now, but am fundamentally an optimist (I WILL be able to eventually play) and a BFC supporter, so pre-ordered anyway.

Regards,

John Kettler

10 hours ago, RescueToaster said:

PS. Your signature is from one of my favorite NIN songs, and I also love your avatar. By law we are friends now.

Great song and comic.

Judge Dredd  & Mötley Crüe - Shout at the Devil brings me back to 1984/85 (12-13 years old) :)

Maybe I'll make early Crüe my soundtrack for CMCW!

So how does it look for a CMCW release this weekend?

If not, I am ok because I am having a lot of fun with CMFR, actually it would mean less stress trying to decide which game to play! (+ Elite Alpha).

Ah... scrap that...  I hope it's released today/tomorrow anyway! :D

10 hours ago, ratdeath said:

Great song and comic.

Judge Dredd  & Mötley Crüe - Shout at the Devil brings me back to 1984/85 (12-13 years old) :)

So how does it look for a CMCW release this weekend?

If not, I am ok because I am having a lot of fun with CMFR, actually it would mean less stress trying to decide which game to play! (+ Elite Alpha).

Ah... scrap that...  I hope it's released today/tomorrow anyway! :D

I guess we'll see. We'd hate to ruin your weekend but since it's very close we're not going to slow anything down.

26 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

I guess we'll see. We'd hate to ruin your weekend but since it's very close we're not going to slow anything down.

You sure about that? We're flying high on BFC's massive F&R fix, and now you're going to hot load us with CW?

What the hell. It will be a wild ride for the next couple of months!

11 hours ago, ratdeath said:

Great song and comic.

I'd have been 1 or 2 at the time, but I grew up on bands like  Motley Crue! But is your signature from a Motley Crue song, or was that a bit of a tangent thinking about the 80's?! I was thinking of "Down in It" by NIN

Also, regarding Judge Dredd - and please don't be mad with what I'm about to say 😉 - but I got into Judge Dredd with the Stallone movie. While the movie was pretty bad, you could see that there was a huge world to discover in the Judge Dredd universe, and I absolutely stories with rich / complex worlds. I especially like the theory that Judge Dredd is part of the Warhammer 40K universe 😁

I've never actually read the comics though - do you know if there are there any good collections / omnibuses that would be good to start with?

Just now, RescueToaster said:

I'd have been 1 or 2 at the time, but I grew up on bands like  Motley Crue! But is your signature from a Motley Crue song, or was that a bit of a tangent thinking about the 80's?! I was thinking of "Down in It" by NIN

Also, regarding Judge Dredd - and please don't be mad with what I'm about to say 😉 - but I got into Judge Dredd with the Stallone movie. While the movie was pretty bad, you could see that there was a huge world to discover in the Judge Dredd universe, and I absolutely stories with rich / complex worlds. I especially like the theory that Judge Dredd is part of the Warhammer 40K universe 😁

I've never actually read the comics though - do you know if there are there any good collections / omnibuses that would be good to start with?

The signature is from Down in It :)

Regarding the Stallone movie: That's 10 years in an iso cube!! j/k Some of the movie is ok but Dredd 3D is a lot better.

If you want to read the comics I would recommend the Case Files, start with number 1 : https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/GRN260 

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/graphic-novels/dredd-case-files

20 hours ago, ratdeath said:

:D

I hear ya, although I'm about to quit Elite Odyssey Alpha. Phase 4 doesn't seem to have anything beyond Phase 3, and a lot more really annoying bugs. This is the last week of it anyway. Good concept, but too much PVP for me, and the threat levels in the missions are way out of sync with the actual missions. It'll be good to focus on CMCW instead.

Edited by Vet 0369