"Wild" Bill Wilder Has Passed Away

Re-posting this as I know he was a well known figure among the early Combat Mission titles.  I remember his scenarios well from those early days of CM.  RIP "Wild" Bill Wilder.

"It is with a sad heart that I need to report the passing of Bill Wilder. For those of you that know my history, Bill Wilder was one of the first gamers to join me when I founded Matrix Games. Our first project together was the Steel Panthers World At War game. I had just recently chatted with him and it was just like old times. I will greatly miss him.

Bill's obituary can be found here and you may leave a message to his family. Leaf Cremation - Here

Bill Wilder services will be held on September 6, 2020, at 3:00 pm EST at The Church at Green Acres Baptist Church, Smyrna, GA. The service will also be online at - Here" ~ David Heath

I am also sorry to hear of Bill's passing, though grateful to know of it.  One of the hardest aspects of a virtual community is not knowing when someone who drops off the radar is having problems or died.  At the very least it is good to be able to keep someone in your thoughts.

Bill was a very active and enthusiastic supporter of the CM1 family of games.  In those days it was stoning offense among the hardcore Steel Panthers crowd, yet Bill constantly demonstrated it was entirely possible to enjoy and support more than one game concurrently.  His cool and calm personality was well respected and served as an excellent role model for all game communities.

Although we didn't keep in touch after those heady early CM days, I've always maintained a strong and deep appreciation for what he brought to our quirky community of gamers.

Steve

I was inspired to go back and read some of the earliest emails with Bill that I have archived.  August 8, 1999.  Wow, that was a long time ago!  Some of those emails had to do with some difficult things that were happening at the time between various parties and re-reading them I was reminded how positive and gracious he was even when he found himself having to deal with someone else's personal baggage.  As I said above, a role model for sure.

Steve

He was a good example to all of us that make things for these kinds of games/simulations- he kept it interesting and fun. A person that understood how to create a like-minded community of tinkerers.

I was lucky enough to correspond with him, like others here- ages ago by now. But I recalled him when working on things, even just last week. His help has grown into many like-minded makers of things. That's a gift.

Thanks again, WBW. With gratitude, "Recon" (he assigned nicknames, that was mine- I think I was researching something!).

Wow that's sad. I remember when I got my first pc and couldnt even run bf1942 well, I found Steel Panthers World at War and fell in love. A lot of the scenarios had Bill's name on them. I always felt weird about the game being free. Felt like I owed them something for the totally humongous game. Guy is a legend

• 8 months later...
On 9/3/2020 at 6:44 AM, danfrodo said:

Very sad.  I remember buying his scenario sets (nowadays called DLCs) for games like Wargame Construction Set: TANKS! by Norm Koger.  this was ~100 years ago it seems now.

Hi it came as a shock to me when I heard recently that Bill Wilder had passed on. A truly great scenario designer who gave so much enjoyment and happiness to so many gamers.

One of the things I wanted to talk to him about was if he still had his Wargame Construction set  Classic scenarios 1-6.  You wouldn't  know where I could get them from or any of his Korean war tank scenarios for Tanks?

Hoping you can help.

Alex

His legacy lives on in the remake 'The Road to Wiltz'. He designed the original. I remember the original a TD homed in on my Panther and took it out. Which SOB programmed that one I always wondered? Imagine what it must be like to have played him H&H?