Online magazine posted BF's game screenshot

2 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

The problem for us is that a big part of our audience expects "perfection" because that's what we've aimed for these many years.  We don't like to disappoint.  But on a more practical level, where do we draw the line between "good" and "good enough"?  It's difficult to do that when each individual piece doesn't itself take that much time to implement.  Not putting in the correct Sherman mix for the Poles in the Summer of 1944 doesn't really save much time.  Makes it tough to say no!

Steve

Put it another way. Would people be satisfied with CMFI as is now and just edit the names of their soldiers to be Brazilian and have some modder hopefully do some uniforms and sound files?  Yeah no that will never happen. Why bother doing SS, just have some modder do uniforms and edit your Units in the editor. 😱 Hell people have griped about specific details in helmets.  No way is “good enough” the standard for this crowd.  

CMFI is an outlier in terms of the effort. It is not the norm so there is no sense in settings standards by it about what you are willing to settle for.  It will be out soon enough and done and BF can move on to the less crazy European front for a bit.  

Regarding the TO&E, to put the "good enough" conversation in a different light. It has always been part of Battlefront's DNA to "get it right". When that hasn't happened it has been because of missing/incomplete information or something slipping by unnoticed and pointed out by players. What hasn't happened and won't happen is to knowingly put something out that we know is wrong just to get it out. 

I recall back when Steve first discussed plans to do a CMSF update. He said 'no mission creep!'. We were just going to update the game engine. Nothing new, nothing extra... Then we wound up going crazy and redoing EVERYTHING! :o  Usually, with CM products, 'good enough' means we've already gone the extra mile and exhausted ourselves in the process. Trying harder and eating up more resources isn't going to see a return on investment. That definition of the phrase is the opposite of 'slapdash'.

9 hours ago, sburke said:

CMFI is an outlier in terms of the effort. It is not the norm...

It will be if we ever get to North Africa (I hope I hope I hope!). That was the grand daddy of crazy quilt nationalities, ethnicities, organizations, equipment, what have you. Which may have something to do with why BFC so far has been adamant about not returning to that theater.

Michael

48 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

I really don't know if it was our lobbying that brought about CMSF2. I think it was because Steve and Charles always wanted to do it themselves.

Yeah I’d have to agree. I wish I had that kind of influence but reality intrudes quite rudely. 

3 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

CMSF2 came about in part because we wanted to do it and in part because we knew there was support for it.  As the features of CM2 diverged more and more from the original CMSF1 feature set, the case for modernizing CMSF1's content became stronger.  Eventually we just couldn't say no ;)

You heard it here folks - there is hope for a CM 2x North Africa game.

At least that's how I choose to interpret the highlighted portions of Steve's quote :D

11 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

OK, let's not "go there" as we say :)  We're happy to be working with our British cousins.  Might even cause me to go back to Old Blighty sometime soon.  I already checked and my two favorite pubs near my old flat are still around.  You know, just in case!

Steve

I'll buy you a pint - hit me up when you make your plans.

20 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Might even cause me to go back to Old Blighty sometime soon.  I already checked and my two favorite pubs near my old flat are still around.  You know, just in case!

Yep be sure to let us know if you hit this side of the pond. 

P